1.2 or 1.8 meter Offset Dish for Intelsat 21 C band in North Georgia?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ctemtechnology

Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
atlanta, ga
Welcome to the forum! I too started as you are, and you will find most here did also. I tried the 1.2m dish converted to use for C Band and I was constantly losing my quality and dropping the picture except for a very few channels. I was always trying to figure out if it was weather, birds, satellite, uplink, etc. But it was never enough. I finally added a 7.5 ft mesh and BANG! Started receiving almost everything with it finely tuned from 58W to 139W.

One of the many problems is the satellite broadcast signals are changing from DVB S to DVB S2 and without a bud you are not going to be happy. Frustration is coming...

If you don't have the C Band dish yet, look for as big a dish as you can squeeze into your spot. I'm looking for a 10 ft..

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!
hi guys I am in Suwanee ga and I have 120 cm dish with ivacomm lnb pointed to galaxy 97 w. 226 channels.....my mom enjoy all the africans channels everyday I have another dms 90 cm dish pointed to AMC 1 103 west connected to dvbs2 tuner card in my streaming server and my friends connect with vlc my next project is intelsat 21 58 degrees west....it's good to know that we can get a good signal here in ga ,,it's see everybody saying 6 ,7 ,10 feet dish is better. I installed 180 cm offset ku dish in my backyard a chaparral c/ku band lnb no signal.......after 2 days trying then I founded that I needed to convert to an conical ring and an special 65 mm bracket.....so while I m waiting for the bracket and the conical ring can you tell me if 180 cm offset dish is big enough to get a signal from intelsat 21 58 w. And what would be the best c band lnbf to use my main priority channels I way from intelsat 21 are france 24
on the transponder 4120 /H/27000 telespazio broadcast and do you thing an multiple c band lnbf setup to my dish would get more sat? Like intelsat

805 55.5 w and intelsat 23 53 w[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: richyrich
tell me if 180 cm offset dish is big enough to get a signal from intelsat 21 58 w.
6ft should be enough for NHK as it's FEC of 1/2 is very forgiving. I can 'mis-tune' the 10 ft until Q drops to 10 and still have solid lock. France24 FEC is 3/4 so may be a bit harder. But IMHO should be achievable. Only 'trying' will tell for sure.
what would be the best c band lnbf to use my main priority channels
Your corotor will probably do fine but I've gone the LNBF route for no moving mechanical parts. Higher reliability IMHO. (And no extra equipment needed to move the servo. Polarity is voltage selected via the FTA Box) For an LNBF, today I'd go with the Titanium C1PLL, if upgrading.
multiple c band lnbf setup to my dish would get more sat? Like intelsat 805 55.5 w and intelsat 23 53 w
Don't think it would work as it's only 2.5° separation. The focal length won't allow it because I think the feed throats would be overlapping. Maybe by Siamese(ing) them together(???) But I wouldn't want to destroy them if it didn't work.

Reactions: richyrich
please guys need your help i dropped 180 cm offset dish in the backyard installed the kit california mini mag cband lnbf with conical ring ,and 65 mm bracket
check with dish pointer my elevation is 41.7 in suwanee ga ,,dish pointer show clear view from my location,,,still can t get a good signal for intelsat 21 58 w
when i change the lnbf frequence setting from 5150 to 3700 to 4200 as said on my c banb lnbf i got 97 strength and 89 quality on my receiver but they both gray mining hi signal but bad quality ,,,,so what is the problem
can anybody tell me what is going on,,,,the same receiver an globecast dvb worldtv is giving me 236 ku band channels on galaxy 97 w do i need a special receiver to get cband channels on intelsat need your help please
my goal is to get france 24 on intelsat 21

Attachments

• 130 cm offset.jpg
    130 cm offset.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 4,906
  • lnbf3.jpg
    lnbf3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 963
  • lnbf.jpg
    lnbf.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,322
  • cal amp.jpg
    cal amp.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 635
Last edited by a moderator:
The LNB LO frequency is 5150MHz. This is the conversion frequency for the LNBF. Don't confuse the LNB LO frequency with the transponder frequencies that are between 3400 and 4200MHz.

Also the LNBF and Conical Scalar placement is highly critical on this undersized dish. Make sure that the center of the feedhorn opening is at the exact height, distance and angle as the original feedhorn that was previously on the dish. You may need to customize the 65mm clamp to place the feedhorn height, distance and angle to match.

Be sure to set the Feedhorn Skew (rotation) to the correct setting for your location.

Use a very strong transponder to locate the satellite as Fat Air suggested. You must use an active transponder to locate and lock the satellite. The grey color meter display indicates that either a setting is incorrect or the dish is not aimed.

Photos of the dish front/back and the LNBF mounting would help us assist.

What I would do before trying something that's untested and unknown and trying to aim at something the size of a school bus 23000 miles away is :
Put the dish together as designed, with the supplied Ku holder & LNBF and aim at 97.
Get it all tuned up for maximum. When that works you know you're aimed. Then replace the Ku LNBF and holder with the C band equipment. You know you're aimed at 97W, so now you can try for C band on 97. Get that tuned up to MAX.
Then go looking for 58W.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/

Agreed, mc6809e! The dish is aimed extremely high in elevation. The feedhorn is also pointed very high towards the top of the reflector instead of toward the center. I would follow Fat Air's advice and install for KU, measure and document the KU LNBF placement and aiming into the reflector to duplicate with the C-band LNBF/Scalar. The geometry appears to be way off.

Reactions: bigg t and Bongu
As the pictures show, the item is aimed way high; like in Peru or Honduras; many of the old c band antenna's work fine down there (you sold them to the South American's also hope; and going with an offset design is how it works correctly or aims funny; but works down there? I would r a wow ther cut my hands with the mesh 10 foot funny pictured (next in the line in the desert); i get ku offset on/from the side; then angle a little higher; aim high for the pictures of what it can really look like...poof my daddy HDTV; that is; really?

Just worked a 10 foot broken by a truck (now fixed) still has bent/broken mesh satellite dish and multi-ku at many offsets (with a motor); and it works a good as the new one; it just does not look the same, and never was run over by a truck (as the fixed one had happen to it). When i work; it works just like a reflection of my hands and their materials. The dishes location is nor a given one; justly shipped w/o pictures. I never have said what I am watching; as in named channels with only one of them in my hands. Just watch Canadian Satellites because the reflector is so big it needs to aim high and for the northern tier went directly to (gotta watch hdtv)?

A big dish can receive 20 satellites all at the same time (C or KU or both). I did watching the Grey Cup on AMI (and CTwo and NBC with universal .2 db LNBf #2) with normal cheap scalar stuck onto the correct offset a due south position; just no isolation...from having to watch Tom Brady and New England play...

Last edited:
Reactions: bigg t
6ft should be enough for NHK as it's FEC of 1/2 is very forgiving. I can 'mis-tune' the 10 ft until Q drops to 10 and still have solid lock. France24 FEC is 3/4 so may be a bit harder. But IMHO should be achievable. Only 'trying' will tell for sure.
Your corotor will probably do fine but I've gone the LNBF route for no moving mechanical parts. Higher reliability IMHO. (And no extra equipment needed to move the servo. Polarity is voltage selected via the FTA Box) For an LNBF, today I'd go with the Titanium C1PLL, if upgrading.
Don't think it would work as it's only 2.5° separation. The focal length won't allow it because I think the feed throats would be overlapping. Maybe by Siamese(ing) them together(???) But I wouldn't want to destroy them if it didn't work.

Use a motor is a single dish mind (old school); but offset 20 satellite LNBf's (C and KU) is a very "static" braced system; and every switch and wire. The dish cannot ever move again if it is a multi-sat; bigger dishes are more forgiving in signals; but also when it rains or snows also. KU beams are easy to offset using a channel list and the lnbf you need to aim from a single satellite dish (as dish/directv/dbs installers do it this way); but to get 2 degree's; quite a feedhorn (directv's) is needed; and COMCAST and COX both have the dish available in their studio's and at DISNEY; but not at NASA (AMC18 a little older). The feedhorn is not designed to be placed on the dish at 2 degree's; but if you offset the 2 degree's; you might find that it can work; cut down to a different sized "aimed rounder sized for circular/linear and rounded gained wave". Multi-other offsets at the horizontal move the angles just like a dbs dish (and the pieces/angles/dish defines/accrual is a formulation of the dish and shape used as parabolic)); and the signals and quality locks are there on a staticly single center aimed satellite dish if you can accrue each aim without moving the dish and lock them down also (old center focused bud dish offsets).

Now, shoot for 2 birds (i have over 200 geese in my front yard and they are wild and freely received; i just gotta go take one for Christmas goose dinnered)); g19 + g16 C/KU etc. etc. 2 satellite dishes can do that...this picture shows how it looks upside down (fta channels received with upside down dish!)
The picture is somewhere usable materials are; they work! AND ISOLATE; USE PERFECT PLASTIC AND YOU CAN BURY THE DISH INSIDE A LOOKINGGLASS HOLE IN THE GROUND; below ground level.

YES, it works; that is nor the question, it is the only answer. C Band LNBf's would look like directv's dbs design; only bigger as C Band is. But the dish would look like theirs also; and that is no challege; c band likes "round ones"!

Last edited:
spink.png

Have you ever noticed that a satellite dish works upside down; or sideways; or even offset angled instead?...

It does because that is how it works. Every satellite dish automatically works; it is just a "reflector"! directv/dish dealers are just miniture; and compared to FTA; they are broke (just like their Contract reads, you pay them, not me). And using a bigger and bigger dish through the years; they just forgot how it really works. One time payment for goods and materials; a bigger satellite dish even receives spotbeam's out of area; what a concept (and local tv from multi-1000's of miles away; if you have payed them for it)...well it can work that is how their signals work and if you payed for tv and voted in Marion County (or any County in the USA it is possible to watch your tv channels in New York City ;; for what i watch is real FTA C Band channels; not KU or KA

Last edited:
How many satellite dishes can a man or woman own? Compared to 20 satellites from one satellite dish x2 dish?

A 20 foot satellite dish is better than a 10 foot satellite dish; as is 10 better than a 6 or 4. And each have a different accrual of gain because of the size; it is what matters! And how well the dish then amplifies, all by itself; a focused aim; at offset; or center of dish; the dish and lnbf must be mounted perfectly for every dish aimed; and focused; and skewed; and then the signals are received; and the pictures work. How you can do it depends on where you live; and the signals you want to receive; then the work and plan is carried from the dish/lnbf in combo; to the receiver inside via coax; then you watch free tv and HDTV channels. BLING!

Last edited:
And in addendum: I must say; they do not make them different today; they have made them smaller for some of the channels. To receive the channels you want; you must design, work, plan use of; and challenge something called technology; how it works, or how long it lasts will be how well you place all planned parts; not that they do not perfect just one where you could choose to place many; that you do and it works for you is in "realized plan" and what you want. It already works for others that aim satellite dishes to many satellites. What you then gain by doing it yourself; like it has been done in the past for Free to Air signals; is what you gain in channels; more is better too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)