1.2M Stationary Ku Band Dish With Multiple LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Would like to know if anyone is using 1.2M Ku dish with multiple LNBF. Just made a bracket from a piece of aluminun stock that might make it possible to receive 5 satellites at 4 degrees apart.

Will try to aim and view the following satellites, 89W, 93W, 97W, 101W,105W, using 97W as my most center focus point satellite.

Any response and pictures are appreciated. Will report my progress and problems.

Thank You.

I tried that with a SuperDish with marginal results. A 1.2m would be the way to go for sure.
SDFun 010.JPG SDFun 008.JPG

Certainly doable, especially on a 1.2 meter. Four degrees should be a simple matter on that dish.

So far I am viewing 97W and 101W with no problem. Have not tried the other satellites yet.... I am using my free dual Ku (commercial) LNB that came with the dish with the four port ChannelMaster switch.

What is the best way to use the ChannelMaster switch with a 4x1 diseqc switch, in order to add the other LNBs, the dual Ku LNB requires the usage of the ChannelMaster, because one LNB is for Vertical and the other is for Horizontal. If there is no way to do this then I will be able to view only four satellites with the diseqc switch.

the dual Ku LNB requires the usage of the ChannelMaster, because one LNB is for Vertical and the other is for Horizonta
Confused: one lnb is vertical, the other horiz?????? Or is this a single LNBF with 2 "F" ports. A vertical port and a horizontal port?? If that's the case, just treat the multiswitch as a 'normal' LNBF, with the multiswitch connected to the two ports on the LNBF.

Confused: one lnb is vertical, the other horiz?????? Or is this a single LNBF with 2 "F" ports. A vertical port and a horizontal port?? If that's the case, just treat the multiswitch as a 'normal' LNBF, with the multiswitch connected to the two ports on the LNBF.

These are two separate LNBs mounted on a block, the type that are use at commercial business such as gas stations, hotels, etc.

The shadow of the assembly are how in the olde' days:mad: we arrayed c band and became cable companies! One cable company had all 15 lnbs dualed and aimed at different locations of space are still used today! The dish is c band sized and looks toroidial in design. Really, the larger the dish, the more sats it can get; with aiming accomplished in a curved mounting across hor. area of Even ku dishes. And over there or here is towards east to west "run from the shadows"? will mean all dual feeds; even and not infinite exacting points all the distance in-between are your angles accrued! Each lnbf in the array looks like the shape of the aiming

Lucky ducket; in fact the lnb aimed was an exact smiley face:) shape:(

Last edited:
I have 2 LNBs on my 1.2 - a Cband and a Ku. The Ku is the primary and the Cband is a sidecar aimed 7 degrees off. I left some space to make sure the Ku wasn't shadowed by the the conical scalar ring. I think it is hard to get 2 LNBs much closer than 4 degrees apart.

Ah Ha! an ortho-just treat the multiswitch as a 'normal' LNBF, with the multiswitch connected to the two LNB's.

I am using the ChannelMaster switch with the Ortho LNBF system. My question is, do I need a diseqc switch for the other LNBF using the ChannelMaster switch or is the ChannelMaster switch good enough all by itself, if so how do I Connect the other LNBF to the three other pairs of the ChannelMaster ports.

Thanks.

If all the others are just 'normal' LNBF's, connect each to the Diseqc.
Connect the 2 LNB's on the ortho to the multiswitch. H & V port**
Connect Multiswitch (any receiver port) to the Diseqc.
** One 'side' of the multiswitch is 22khz On, the other OFF.
Polarity (LNB) selected via 13/18v Al La- LNBF
Hopefully, Your Vertical LNB doesn't 'mind' operating on just 13v. Some like more.

Thanks for clarifying the hooking up of the ChannelMaster switch to the diseqc switch, somehow I was not seeing clearly the physical connection of the two switches.

Thanks again

Everything was going great, then one of the 4x1 diseqc switch port went dead. Now I am in need of another switch..Since I have two Ku dishes, a motorized 1.0M and a stationary 1.2M, I would like to use a 8x1 diseqc switch to work with both dishes. If the 1.2M dish mod works out, then I will do the same with the 1.0M dish.

Is the microHd capable of handling a 8x1 diseqc switch, if so which is the best way of addressing the 8 ports, have nopticed that the microHD use a 1.0 and a 1.1 diseqc functions with some additional setting that I am not familiar with. Which of those functions do I use with the microHD receiver in order to utilize the 8x1 diseqc switch.

Thanks.

I too would like to know more about the 1.1 DISEqC settings in the Micro, they're different from my other receivers and I don't quite get how that works on the Micro.

Looking at the DISEqC 1.0 settings on my Micro, it looks like the biggest switch it can do with DISEqC 1.0 is a 4x1, there's only 4 port settings. Currently I'm only using three, but am planning on adding a few more stationary dishes soon. I don't understand how the DISEqC 1.1 settings work.

Last edited:
I too would like to know more about the 1.1 DISEqC settings in the Micro, they're different from my other receivers and I don't quite get how that works on the Micro.

Looking at the DISEqC 1.0 settings on my Micro, it looks like the biggest switch it can do is a 4x1, there's only 4 port settings. Currently I'm only using three, but am planning on adding a few more stationary dishes soon.

From the MicroHD Manual,

DiSEqQ 1.1 – Switch Setting. If multiple satellite dishes or multiple LNB(f)s are connected to your receiver (up to 16 inputs), determine if the switch type is DiSEqC 1.1. If so, press LEFT or RIGHT NAV key or press List/OK key to display scroll list.
Select the switch port that is connected to the target satellite.

P9jdfojFPxNcgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

From the MicroHD Manual,

DiSEqQ 1.1 – Switch Setting. If multiple satellite dishes or multiple LNB(f)s are connected to your receiver (up to 16 inputs), determine if the switch type is DiSEqC 1.1. If so, press LEFT or RIGHT NAV key or press List/OK key to display scroll list.
Select the switch port that is connected to the target satellite.
P9jdfojFPxNcgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Thanks, Mikelib. Got that part ok, but once in the list of DISEqC 1.1 inputs, there's options for:

Disable [obvious, this one]
1Cascade M1: Port1
Port2
Port3
Port4
1Cascade M2: Port1
Port2
Port3
Port4

-and then on with M3, the same as M1 and M2, then 2Cascades Port1 through 16. Not quite understanding the 1Cascade M1 thru M3 and Cascades2 port 1 through 16 part. I'm assuming that's for multiple switches cascaded together, but I'm not really understanding the implementation of it.

Last edited:
Use the last one 1-16 but just use 1-8. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts