1.8 Patriot or 1.8 Andrews ChannelMaster?

Which would you get?

• 1.8 Meter Patriot

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 1.8 Meter Andrews Channel Master

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

corey006

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Which will give me better signal for G10 and Amc 4.

I am going to have it motorized hopefully with a Jaeger 1224.

If I cannot get that motor or it will not work where do you get a polar mount?

Find someone with old C-Band and buy or is there manufacturer that still makes polar mount?

The dishes are offset-feed, not prime-focus, so that's another tweak to the traditional C-band polar mount.
It means the mounting of the dish will need to be tilted down around 22º below where it would be with a prime-focus dish.

Not trying to discourage you.
Just filling in the details.

If you come up with a good answer, maybe I'll get one, too. ;)

What are the odds of someone building a Diseqc 1.2 compliant motor capable of moving 100lb dish? :eureka

I think there would be market for this type of item?

Now I know why I see guys with 10 dishs in a dish farm.

Jaeger SuperJack SMR-1224

A quick search for your motor, didn't turn up any US supplier, but just a hint of who the importer was ( Pro Brand International ) and who might sell it...

Price in Europe seems a bit under $200.
If it really will handle a 2.4m dish, that would be interesting.
Still never found any specs on weight it would carry, nor pole size it'll mount on.
edit: but I did find reference that Jaeger has mounting plates to take common prime focus and offset feed dishes.

For more info in English, you might try the Vetrun forum in Australia, and then search for the motor model.
Some of the blokes down there seem to like it.

Also, it was mentioned on an American site, Rick's Satellite.

Well, so much for the hints. Let us know what you come up with. - :up

I tried that forum in Aussie land....

Looks like 1224 will be MORE than adequate for 1.8 meter.:D

One of the Mods on that site has 1224 on a 2.4 meter dish and it works fine...:up

Jaeger HH heavy duty mounts - opinions? - Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific)

NOW....if only Sadoun would import some??? ......Pretty Please....:rolleyes:

Group buy anyone?

Quoted from one of the guys that uses 1224...

They have less slop, can handle a full 180 degrees of rotation and best of all have a linear VBOX (etc) counter output.

The output shaft on the SMR1224 has a 150mm crown wheel made of cast steel, with relatively fine teeth driven by a steel worm. There is less overall slop in the system compared to a linear actuator, this single-start worm drive cannot be driven backwards, so when the 36 volt motor stops the dish cannot move but for the flex in the pole, dish and its brackets.

A H to H motor costs quite a bit more than a standard mount and jack but is a lot nicer to use, a single VBOX count gives the same amount of dish rotation no matter where the dish is in azimuth. This is very handy when looking for satellites in estimated positions.

This picture shows a SMR 1224 EL(has 4-way movement) Azimuth as well as Elevation.

attachment.php

I thought the picture showed a Fortec Star 8' dish, ... and it does.
The Fortecs are a lot lighter than the dishes we are talking about.

I looked up the Prodelin, and just the fiberglass dish itself is around the 100 lb mark.
By contrast, the 6' Fortec is nearer 50, and their 8' is a few dumbbells over the 100 lbs mark.
So, going on that info, I'd feel somewhat comfortable putting a 100-ish pound 6' dish on the Jaeger 1224.
But I sure as heck would not put that on my roof ! - :eek: Nor anywhere it'd catch a lot of wind.
And,,,, I still haven't seen a weight-rating or a pole-mount-diameter posted! - :(

You'll still need a mounting plate adapter to fit the offset feed dish to the motor.
And most of the existing mount would be discarded, I think.

One other thing about the motor. It comes with reed switch or optical.
Somewhere I read the optical has many more counts per degree than the reed switch.
One idiot on some forum, actually suggested cutting off every other vane on the optical interrupter! - :eek:
Making the optical work with a Vbox is not a problem, so I'd want to go with the higher count, and longer life, most probably.

The lack of documentation on that motor is outrageous!

NOW....if only Sadoun would import some??? ......Pretty Please....:rolleyes:

I will be happy to do that. I need to know how many are interested in one? Also, a group buy is required. Once I get an estimate and possibly a down payment, I will import it for you.

I will be happy to do that. I need to know how many are interested in one? Also, a group buy is required. Once I get an estimate and possibly a down payment, I will import it for you.

Thanks.

I actually priced one out from German supplier.

With shipping to my address it came to $399 CAD!(shipping was $110 Euros).

I will start a group buy thread...

How many do you need before you can import.

Once again.

THANKS!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)