1.8 prime, or 1.2 offset which is better?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
which are better: blonds or brunettes?

Well, it all depends:
- which bands, Ku or C-band?
- which satellites?
- from what state? . . . or country if you are not in the USA?
- motorized or fixed? (a number of small dishes are a good solution for some members)
- using what receiver? (yes, it actually could matter)
- what LNBs or LNBFs do you propose?
- are you going to hamstring us with an unrealistic budget? :rolleyes:

Waiting for the Parameters of the original question.....

In the mean time, you can tell that some of us have cabin fever! I-5 is still not open. Steven Pass, Hwy 2 is open but the connecting North - South Pass is not. Snoqualimie Pass may be open - haven't heard for 3 hours. Can not get out of western Washington!

Need to add red and white/gray hair to that poll, and maybe --since this is SatGuys maybe moulded and metal. Might be a little much to add 3M to the list also.

My Brunette turn white gets my biggest vote!

I don't think anyone wants any 4' nor 6' blonds, brunettes, nor red heads.
... and don't forget black-haired Asian beauties ...

I guess if we're really gonna go there, I'll have a 5' 2" brunette.... again... so many of 'em have been.
Though, I do recall a 6' brunette, for a few years.

But the whole point of my commenting on hair color, is that without all the rest of the specs, no decision can be made!

black is beautiful & prime vs offset

example: I'd kinda like the looks of a black, perforated Birdview dish.
At least in the pictures I've seen.
But, a poop-spattered, mold-covered, nasty-ugly, white Birdview ... has the same specs.
And it will probably clean up well.
Just depends on which I meet up with first. - :up

As for the brunettes, a good disposition is of prime importance, on that dish.
And is a non-negotiable item on the specs list. :D
It cannot under any circumstances be offset by another specification!

Sorry pop, how is that comparison as good? For equal F/D ratio, a 1.8 meter dish must be better than a 1.2 meter dish. :eek:

Please explain.

Last edited:
There is a thread on building a offset dish and in some of the discussion he describes it, as I understand as a section of a primefocus (My understanding). Iceberg's 6 ft was missing the bottom section and still worked almost as good as the "good" one. That triggered that that a 1.2 meter offset laid over the portion of the 1.8 M prime would still end up with sufficient surface to give almost as good a signal (or better). I could be wrong, but my experience adjusting offsets VS others description of adjusting prime focus, sounds like the extra size of the prime does not justify the extra effort. Others may argue differently, but without testing I do not know. Most of the offsets I have seen are better built than many of the primefocus I have seen.

out of control!

you are all out of control! :up
anyway, i was asked
Well, it all depends:
- which bands, Ku or C-band? BOTH with a brand new BSC621
- which satellites? as many as i can h to h
- from what state? . . . or country if you are not in the USA? los angeles on a hill
- motorized or fixed? (a number of small dishes are a good solution for some members) motorized, why not
- using what receiver? (yes, it actually could matter) will buy best one coolsat looks good for dedicating to this project
- what LNBs or LNBFs do you propose? bsc621
- are you going to hamstring us with an unrealistic budget? no

hope that helps...

i have a blonde 178 cm that i love:rolleyes:

Which is better? seems drawbacks and benefits both sides. a motor on the 1.8 is harder, but the 1.2 is smaller...then again, it is offset. any experience with these?

Conventional wisdom would say bigger is better. Some claim, especially on Ku, that with a prime focus the LNB etc. can shadow the dish, cutting down on received signal strength. With an offset feed, there is nothing in the way of the full dish seeing the signal.

OTOH, the prime focus dish is squarely facing the signal where an offset dish is at an angle, effectively reducing the visible surface of the dish to the signal.

Personally, given the option, I still would take the larger dish. Unless, of course, both are available. Then, I'll take both of them.
biggrin.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)