1 dish, 2 accounts, 2 hoppers or Hopper and single receiver

mkemike

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Hey guys,

I'm in a condo, and due to mounting restrictions I can't put up a dish that will see southeast to the 61.5 bird where my local (and other) HD channels are. My neighbor (same building, shared attic) has an existing single receiver and a grandfathered roof mount with a southeast view. If I can talk him into it, I'd like to put a new dish on his mount and run separate boxes and accounts. After some research here and DBSTalk, I found install diagrams for both a dual-hopper installation (using a dual-node) and a dual-hopper with tailgater installation (using a dual-node and DPP44 switch). If he can't or does not want to upgrade his single receiver to a Hopper, it stands to reason that we could use a DPP33 and a single node.

So, any gotcha's I'm not seeing? Will Dish install 2 customers on a shared dish? Since it is the same building, I would assume both units would have the same grounding. Any maintenance or contract termination issues? If I were to ever drop Dish, would we have to re-install his old dish so I could send mine back, or would they let us leave it in place since they still have a subscriber on it.

Of course, I would list my neighbor as a referral (gives him $50 in service credits), and I would pay for a DPP switch and any non-standard install charges including replacing his messy outside wiring. Are there any other costs I should be looking at? Given the unique situation, should I order through a local installer / dealer or just hit Dish's 800 number when I'm ready to order?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I wan't to pull the trigger on this while the summer Hopper sale is still on, but hopefully once it isn't as Africa-hot here. (I sure don't need an installer falling over of heatstroke in my attic.)

Thanks,
Mike

Dish does not allow for sharing a dish between two customers like that. However, it's been done. You might want to talk to a local contractor and $ugge$t that it could happen.

Dish does not want the dish back, just the LNB and you can get out of even that.

Actually, it's done all the time on apt buildings, usually at the requirement of the landlord.

In the context in which we were speaking, it's a no-no. But I threw in "like that" because of multi-unit dwelling exceptions. "Condo" can mean almost anything.

I have installed MDUs that had a similar situation (multiple customers on single dish). It's rare & every time I've seen it, the landlord had to call dish (business branch I think) to have it set up.
Barring that, local retailers are well known for doing practically anything to complete a job, but don't expect consistent quality of install as from a Dish or RSP tech.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts