1 Dish 500 + 301 receiver + DP34 switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

romanempire

Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Hi everyone, hope someone can help me.
I am trying to add a third receiver to my system so I purchased a DP34 switch. I hooked up the 2 receivers that are already in use to the DP34 switch and I also hooked up the 2 cables from the Dish 500. When I do a check switch it recognizes the DP34 switch but I get a no connection to the satellite. "problem detected- check connections" which I have done but to no avail. When I go to details it says I'm connected to the DP34 switch with 3 inputs and no connection to the 3 ports.
My dish signals are 110 and 119. If anyone has any suggestions please help.
Thanks for any help

Are the two other receivers OK? If it's only on the 301:

Disconnect the satellite feed and run check switch (Menu, 6-1-1, Check Switch)
Connect the satellite feed and run check switch again.

This will clear the switch matrix and should allow the receiver to see the switch.

Also, what type of cable are you using for the 301 receiver? You must have RG6 rated to at least 2200Mhz. If you're using barrel connectors, they also must be rated to at least 2200 Mhz.

The receivers are in working order.
I disconnected the feed as you requested but i still get the same error report.
I have RG6 cables to the receivers-the ones the Dish rep installed when I ordered Dish. Can't get it working! Thanks for more ideas

Press Menu twice in the remote control, that will take you to the Sys Info screen. What software version do you have? Also, what other receivers do you have? and what type of LNB?

You should be on P2.48 or P3.42. If you're not, connect the receiver directly to the 119 feed and turn it off with the remote and wait 30 minutes. It should download the latest software and hopefully that will correct the problem.

romanempire said:
I have software version P248.
all my receivers are 301's.
I have a dual lnb
You need a DPtwin LNB for 2 sats. If there is no "DP" painted on the LNB it won't work with a DP 34 switch

I think the problem is the center conductor on your cables going into the DP-34 switch.

If the center conductor is near the end of the connector (where the threads start), then it is too short. If it is slightly longer, it may work. But if it is about 3/16" or even longer, it should work.

Although it sounds like the cables from the receivers to the DP-34 are okay, they probably could use replacing, they may just be barely making connections since the receivers do recognize the DP-34 switch. However, if the receivers are showing NC for each of the satellite input ports, then the cables from the LNBF are too short, assuming everything else is okay.

EDIT:
This is of course if you are using a DishPro or DishProPlus LNBF. As Dirtydan said, if the back of the LNBF has a "black DP" on it, you should be fine, check the cable ends going into the switch.

However, I believe the legacy LNBF's do not have anything on them. If this is the case, you need to have the LNBF replaced with a DishPro Twin LNBF. A DishPro Plus Twin LNBF would also work, but would be more than you need.

Last edited:
Checked the center conductors and they indeed appear to be short-not even close to the 3/16" you suggested. is there any other option? I don't really want to cut the cables and put new ends on but if that's my only option. I guess I goota do it
Thanks for the help

"Are the two other receivers OK?"

Again, are the other two receivers working?

If none of them is working, then as suggested above the stinger or center conductor is too short and there is no signal going through the DP34. It's also possible that you have a bad DP34.

romanempire said:
Digital Lnbf
This is legacy and can't be used with a DP switch. If it's actually a Twin (you initially said your Dish500 has "a dual" - see my sig) it will have to be replaced to add a 3rd tuner. Do as Dirtydan says.

Romanempire -- Your descriptions of your LNBF don't accurately describe your LNBF setup. I wouldn't cut the cables until its confirmed that you have a DishPro LNBF.

If you have a single LNBF that is wide and picks up two satellite locations (119 & 110), then it is called a TWIN. It could be of 3 styles, Legacy, DishPro, or DishProPlus. It will have 2 outputs, except some have 4 which is called a quad.

A Dual LNBF is a single (narrow) LNBF that picks up one location, but has 2 outputs, and likewise, if it only has a single output its called a single.

They may all use the word "digitial", but I don't know for sure. But the main question is, do you have a black label on the backside of the LNBF that says "DP", if so, then you have a LNBF that will work with the DP-34 switch. If not, then you need to replace the LNBF with a DishPro Twin (or possibly use legacy switches instead of the DP34 - not recommended).

If you have the correct LNBF, and you don't want to replace the connectors until you are sure, then....
Instead of connecting the cables to the DP-34, connect each to a barrel connector, then take a short piece of coax with long center conductor and connect to the barrels and DP-34. Usually, only the end going into the DP-34 needs to be longer.

Last edited:
I want to Thank everyone for their input in helping me. If I can't get the DP34 to work, maybe I'll switch to Direct-TV and have them install 4 receivers and I'll be done.!
Have a nice day everybody

That's another possibility, 2 or 3 ports on the DP-34 being bad, but I think more than likely he either has the wrong LNBF or needs to adjust the cables.

The way I read his posts were, 2 receivers work when connected to the dish, but not when going through the DP-34.

He never really accurately identified his LNBF setup - Legacy or DP.
We know Dual was incorrect, unless he had two duals to receive 119 & 110.
And digital.... Well technically they are all digital.

Switch the cable from port 2 to port 1 and port 1 to port two, do check switch again, if do the check switch, the number showed on screen is 1 of 2 and you has no problem, but if 1 to 38 then there must be something wrong between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)