$1 freeze

jhump

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
What does it mean when they put a 1 freeze on your account? Does that mean I can't use my credit card?

jhump said:
What does it mean when they put a 1 freeze on your account? Does that mean I can't use my credit card?
Years ago I believe that was done as a means to verify that a Credit Card was both valid and not over its limit. I would not think that this would be needed with the ability to get approval electronically.

I went to upgrade to the HDGold and they said there would be a freeze of a buck for 3 days. I was just wondering if I couldn't use my credit card. I should of asked when they said there were going to put a freeze on my account. I just hate calling those people because you never no who the hell your going to get.

all it means is they are charging $1 to your card to verify it.
Lots of places do this. Every time you use pay at the pump, it charges $1 immediatly, then they later charge the total amount you pumped.

They cant freeze your entire credit card.

Yeah, its to validate something etc, its usually the CC processor. Depends on your bank, most companies kill the charge within 10 days (as its not an actual charge, but the hold)

Just how the companies work!

The banks and CC companies need to get these freezes and temp. charges off much quicker. So many places do it now, that stuff adds up and you have to watch it to make sure it comes off. Should be on there for less than a day. It's charged as a temp. charge, there's no reason why it should be there for more than an hour, let alone more than a day...

Alot of gas stations are now placing freezes of as much as $50 when you slide it at the pump now.

Thanks for the feed back. Going on vacation and I didn't want to get stuck not being able to use my card. I knew places would check your credit but I never heard of anybody putting a freeze on it for 3 days.

A friend of mine stayed at a hotel for a week or so several years ago, and each day the idiot behind the counter did this "freeze" for the current total bill each day. Around Thursday or so, he informed my friend that his card wasn't any good. Of course it wasn't as this idiot was freezing the bill progressively. That is, on Monday he froze $100. On Tuesday, he froze $200. New frozen total $300. On Wednesday, he froze $300. New frozen total $600. On Thursday, he froze $400. New frozen total $1000. Doing this doesn't take long to exceed any credit limit.

Its more of a problem with credit card logo'd debit cards since they freeze up the cash in your checking account and not just a portion of your credit limit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts