1 Meter Channel Master Restoration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gray1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
At the suggestion of a fellow member, I am posting my latest project. This dish was mounted low to the ground. Take note: Whenever I acquire a dish mounted low to the ground, there is almost always some type of damage. In this case I believe it to be where a lawnmower was ran into it several times. Always mount your dishes far enough above the ground as to not run into them with anything. The damage was on the edges so it would not affect reception but I decided to try and fix it so the cracks would not get any worse. Regrettably I did not take any “before” pictures. I thought about using fiberglass body filler but decided I wanted strength. Another poster had used JB Weld with good results so I thought I would give that a try. It worked far better than I thought it would.
In full disclosure, I have done body work before. But this repair was pretty easy to do. If you look hard enough you can see where the JB Weld is smooth without the pebbly finish that the rest of the dish has.

I decided to compare signal qualitys between the 1M Channel Master and the Primestar
84E. I used the same LNB (Hughesnet) on both dishes both peaked on AMC-21. The 1M Channel Master was a tad better, but not by much. It only gained 3 points on all but one transponder. Someone has suggested that it is because the dishes are about the same width. I do not know. I don’t understand this. But that were the results. I would say that this is a testimony to a Primestar 84E. It continues to be one great dish.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 246
Is it the lighting, or did you repaint the dish?
Sure came out looking nice.
And quite a testimony for the JB Weld.

Once you're a few feet away, any imperfections wouldn't show anyhow.
But I take pride in having it restored to "factory', too. :up

I have a 1 meter CM that had some minor edge damage which I fixed with JB Weld. It works very well, just smooth it out and paint over it. If you take the time to do it well, you'll never notice it. That dish is still in storage, but I have an identical model in use on 125W for PBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)