1 meter Primestar repaired and motorized!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
A while back I posted a picture of my 1 meter Primestar rescue, it had some minor damage, and with a suggestion by Anole, I used some J&B weld epoxy to repair it. Soon after the repair was done, I started wondering how I might build a motorized mount for it, so I searched the forums and got some good ideas.

I ended up using the elevation mount off a Dish 500 that a co-worker gave me. And I made an "adapter plate" out of a .18x11x11 sheet of galvanized steel.

I took a hack saw to the old clothes line post by my house, which thankfully was nearly plum, and setup a SG2100 motor. I have been really impressed with the quality ratings I am getting on this dish with the old LNB, Channel Master really made these dishes well. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    557.5 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0296_crop0.JPG
    IMG_0296_crop0.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 277
I have been really impressed with the quality ratings I am getting on this dish with the old LNB, Channel Master really made these dishes well. :)

Good work, great results.

There are people in life who no longer do much with their hands, yet the FTA crowd can still think, and then make it happen.

When someone says, "Honey, I have to go out and do the dishes", good things are usually under foot.

Good work Jullius, been needing some inspiration/ideas for the same project here. Now you just need to get some spic n span and wash that thing good, and spray it with some paint!

Awesome job Jullius! :up

The JB Weld done wonders! Will not hurt it a bit there off to that side! Great Rescue!! Glad to see it in service again!! :up :up On the mounting also!!

Bonus points on that back plate mount!!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

So, . . . the JB Weld did the job to your satisfaction?
That's what I would have tried, but I wasn't certain it'd work.
Okay, I was 99% sure... :rolleyes:

I'm with Turbo on the looks, though.
Here's 99¢, go down to Walmart and get a can of flat gray primer. :cool:

very cool :)

I take it the elevation was more of trial and error and not what the elevation slide scale showed?

So, . . . the JB Weld did the job to your satisfaction?
That's what I would have tried, but I wasn't certain it'd work.
Okay, I was 99% sure... :rolleyes:

I'm with Turbo on the looks, though.
Here's 99¢, go down to Walmart and get a can of flat gray primer. :cool:

I will paint it eventually. I just had to see if was operational..... and give my neighbors something to talk about. :)

Looks great! These dishes can take a beating and still work wonderfully. I noticed a couple of cracked ribs in the back of the 1 meter Channel Master I recently rescued, so I used plastic epoxy to fill in the broken areas. I then painted the entire back of the dish with dove white Krylon. The cracks would have had no effect whatsoever on performance, since they were only on the back ribs, but I didn't want the structure of the dish to be compromised in windy conditions. The paint job was mainly to prevent further "shedding" of the fiberglass, which was starting to occur on the back of the dish.

Nice Job! :)

BUT it is lacking the duct tape, baling wire, zip ties, hose clamps and electrical tape of many projects done by others including myself! :D

Nice job on the mount. I'll download the pics for future reference. I'd like to do that one on my 84e.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)