1 remote - 2 satellite receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Autoeng

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
I'm looking for some help getting my system working the way I want it to. I have 2 Dish Network receivers (a 301 and a 510) hooked to the same tv (so I can watch live and record live at the same time) and want to use 1 remote to operate both. I have the remote for the 510 but don't have the original for the 301. I used a One-For-All but it controls both receivers now so if I turn off one they both go off.

Can I get a remote that could address each receiver seperately? And if I can, how can I address the 301 when I don't have the original remote?

Thanks,
Autoeng

If you want to control more than one E* receiver and not have both receivers respond with one remote you will need to invest in an aftermarket remote.

Dish network receivers can be set to different remote addresses. A receiver set to address 1 will respond only to commands sent by a remote that transmits address 1 codes, address 2 receivers to address 2 codes, etc. The trick is getting a remote that can transmit the codes for multiple addresses.

The remotes included with E* receivers can not do this. Most universal remotes can not do this. A learning remote should be capable of doing this. I would suggest that you visit RemoteCentral in order to find a remote that will do what you want it to.

As for your second question. All Dish Network receivers (except the model 7100/7200 and some model 4000 and 5000 receivers) respond to the same IR codes. Any receiver set to address 1 can be controlled by any dish IR remote set to address 1. The same applies to address 2, etc. Some remotes include buttons that are not on others (DVR controls, PIP controlls) and some buttons have different functions on different receivers (TV/Video functions as HD/SD on HD receivers). Your 510 remote has all the controls needed to operate your 301 when the addresses are set.

What OFA do you have?
Have you used JP1?
I have both address 1 and address 2 in my URC 9810 if you need the files let me know.

Jim

This is a prime example why Dish remotes need the ability to program a second Dish receiver in AUX mode.

Why not?

JimDB said:
What OFA do you have?
Have you used JP1?
I have both address 1 and address 2 in my URC 9810 if you need the files let me know.

Jim

Whoa. What is an OFA? JP1?

Sorry that I'm so new at this.

Autoeng

K R Kimmel said:

Cool. I had an idea about JP-1 but thanks for the link. I have a OFA 6011 or a 6012 (I'm not at home and they both look the same on OFA's website).

Would the files you have work in mine? If not what would be a good remote that would control 2 sat boxes, a tv, a dvd, a VCR and a A/V receiver (and maybe still have room to grow)? Not looking to spend a ton of money for a remote but want a good one.

You could just change the address on the remote each time you want to control the other box.

I know, too much trouble. That's why I have one remote to my left and one to my right, identical except programmed for different addresses.

Right now my OFA controls both but I just selected the code listed in the manual so it obviously didn't address the receiver OR they are both addressed as 1. How do you address the receiver itself and then address the remote to match?

Neither the 6011 or 6012 appears on the list on the JP1 site. You'll have to check for the presence of the connector but I don't think your remote has this capability.

The number on devices in your setup is getting to the point where you may want to invest in a more advanced remote with macro abilities to automate Power On/Off sequences and source switching. With a macro you can program one button to, for example, turn on your tv, turn on your A/V receiver, turn on you 510, switch the tv to the 510 video input and switch the A/V receiver to the 510 audio input. Instead of 5 buttons on 3 remotes just push one button.

I'm partial to the Philips Proto line of remote controls. The Pronto NG TSU-3000 uses a 3.8" lcd touchscreen (16 shade greyscale) and 17 programmable hard buttons to control any number of devices using the ProntoEdit NG software. It can be found for under $200 from internet retailers.

Have your visited Remote Central? There is a ton of information available on remote controls at that site.

Dish receivers and remotes come set to address 1 by default. Instructions for changing the address can be found in your manual. Most aftermarket universal remotes only work on address 1. Hence the need for a learning or computer programmable remote.

Wow, am I overloaded on information. going to Remote Central to check them out. I think that the Pronto is a little more than I need. Maybe the MX-500. I wish the Kameleon got better reviews though. Oh well, off to do some reading.

Thanks

Do you think it's possible to set the address with the 6012 remote I have?

It has no # key.
If I set up sat 2 as the cable key and address 2 will sat 1 still work as the sat key and address 1?

If you don't know I'll try to get OFA to respond.

I really don't know much about OFA remotes. I knew JP1 was an computer interface for some low end remotes. Everything else I know I learned from skimming the website I found by Googling (sp?) "JP1" in responce to your "what is JP1" question.

Now if you wanted to talk about the Proto series remotes... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts