1 wire SWM8 setup - what changes are required for 9 tuner upgrade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
I currently have a SWM5 slimline dish, connected by 1 wire to my SWM8 Switch (housed inside) and from there it feeds 3xHR23. I have Decas on the back of my receivers for MRV and a older style Wired CCK to apply receivers Internet for VOD.

What changes are required in my configuration to move to a Genie HR44 and 2x HR24 for a total of 9 tuners?

Will just the SWM8 need. To be changed? Is there a solution that will keep me at just 1 wire from the LNB to my switch? I read about the SWM13 but I don't see it for sale anywhere. I think I read the SWM16 required two lines from LNB which I would like to avoid if I can.

I think in the new setup I don't need Deca's on back of receiver anymore?

Anything else?

Thanks

You have a SWM SL-5 LNB connected to an 8-way SPLITTER? For either the SWM 13(whenever it is officially released) or SWM 16,you need your LNB switched to a 4 cable LNB to be connected to the multi-switches. From there in the case of the (soon to be released?) SWM 13,you can run a single cable from it to your 8-way splitter & then connect your Genie & receivers/DVR's accordingly. With the SWM 16,you can connect your receivers/DVR's via one line out to whatever type splitter you use & the other line out can go to your Genie.

ALL currently available SWiM standalone switches require FOUR lines from a non-SWiM LNB. If you can't swing at least four cables, you'll have to mount a SWM16 outdoors and run at least two cables in. Running two SWM8s will require some network bridging in addition to the two cables in.

You have a SWM SL-5 LNB connected to an 8-way SPLITTER? For either the SWM 13(whenever it is officially released) or SWM 16,you need your LNB switched to a 4 cable LNB to be connected to the multi-switches. From there in the case of the (soon to be released?) SWM 13,you can run a single cable from it to your 8-way splitter & then connect your Genie & receivers/DVR's accordingly. With the SWM 16,you can connect your receivers/DVR's via one line out to whatever type splitter you use & the other line out can go to your Genie.

The one wire from my slimline comes in to the house and is connected to this switch, I believe it is called the SWM8
uploadfromtaptalk1402937521283.jpg

So you are saying without the SWM13, I would have to swap out the LNB? Or no matter what an I going to have to swap out the LNB? It's a SWM LNB, I thought the whole advantage of that was the 1 wire coming in to the house.

In my current setup I'm already using 6 tuners with just one wire from the dish to the 8-switch.

What if I left it as is, the receivers would require 9 tuners but I would only have 8, would it still work and how would it decide which receiver loses a tuner?

The one wire from my slimline comes in to the house and is connected to this switch, I believe it is called the SWM8 View attachment 98464

So you are saying without the SWM13, I would have to swap out the LNB? Or no matter what an I going to have to swap out the LNB? It's already SWM5 LNB, I thought the whole advantage of that was the 1 wire coming in to the house.

In my current setup I'm already using 6 tuners with just one wire from the dish to the 8-switch.

What if I left it as is, the receivers would require 9 tuners but I would only have 8, would it still work and how would it decide which receiver loses a tuner?

The one wire from my slimline comes in to the house and is connected to this switch, I believe it is called the SWM8 View attachment 98464

So you are saying without the SWM13, I would have to swap out the LNB? Or no matter what an I going to have to swap out the LNB? It's a SWM LNB, I thought the whole advantage of that was the 1 wire coming in to the house.

First off,that's a splitter which you can still keep. You have to change your LNB from single cable to four cable to run to the SWM 13 or SWM 16 multi-switch. With the SWM 13,instead of one wire running from your LNB,it will run from your multi-switch to you splitter that you have pictured. With the SWM 16,you'll have one wire running to your splitter that you have pictured,plus a second wire that you can either run to another splitter or straight to your Genie.

The SWM LNB indeed only has one wire to the house, but it is limited to eight tuners. To go above eight, you have to replace the LNB with a conventioanl LNB and run four wires to an SWM16 multiswitch. There is NO solution for more than eight tuners that has one wire to the dish.

The SWM LNB indeed only has one wire to the house, but it is limited to eight tuners. To go above eight, you have to replace the LNB with a conventioanl LNB and run four wires to an SWM16 multiswitch. There is NO solution for more than eight tuners that has one wire to the dish.

What would happen if I left the setup as is, I would require 9 tuners but I would be in a 8 tuner setup, would it just drop tuner availability for one of the receivers? I would be okay with that, and could I somehow choose the receiver that would lose the tuner?

It will give you errors... (been there, done that)
No errors, if you go into sat setup and set one of the DVRs to single tuner operation, it will work fine. You can't do that for the Genie, it has to be one of the DVRs.

No errors, if you go into sat setup and set one of the DVRs to single tuner operation, it will work fine. You can't do that for the Genie, it has to be one of the DVRs.

That's perfect, so I get to keep the SWM8 and I don't have to get an additional 3 wires coming in to the house which was the big hassle, along with changing LNB.

I can live with at least used DVR only having one tuner, I was ready to move to clients and live with just 5 tuners but feedback shows the clients lag.

That's perfect, so I get to keep the SWM8 and I don't have to get an additional 3 wires coming in to the house which was the big hassle, along with changing LNB.
In any case, you won't reasonably be able to use the SWM8 so you might consider getting rid of it.

I can live with at least used DVR only having one tuner, I was ready to move to clients and live with just 5 tuners but feedback shows the clients lag.
You don't have an SWM8. You have one wire from the dish to an SWS8 splitter....

Okay now I understand all the terminology and what I have.

I have a 5LNB dish with built in SWM that has capability of 8 tuners, so it must be a built in SWM8.

From there 1 wire goes to the house to my 8 way splitter.

As someone suggested, I could set one of my receivers to 1 tuner instead of 2 and I would then be able to accommodate a Genie and 2x HR24s. Without any new wiring or equipment.

To be specific, you have an SL5S LNB, with a single cable running to an SWS8 splitter.
And yes, as I posted earlier, with the Genie and two DVRs, setting one DVR to single tuner would bring your total tuners down to 8.

I'm still not exactly clear on if someone has a SWS 8 what would they need a SWM 8 for?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

They would not. He does not have (or need) one. The confusion is the OP thought the SWS8 was actually an SWM8 (not an unusual confusion!).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)