1 wire SWM8 setup - what changes are required for 9 tuner upgrade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can see that as they both serve the same purpose of supporting 8 tuners.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well, no.....
The SWS8 supports 8 connections. A connection could be one tuner (a receiver), two tuners ( a DVR), five tuners (a Genie) or no tuners (a Genie client, a Power Inserter, a Cinema Connection kit). To put it another way, if you have a Genie, a DVR and one receiver, that's eight tuners but only takes three connections on a splitter so an SWS4 is enough, you don't need an SWS8.

I see what you mean. I myself am new to SWM as in the last month. While I'm knowledgeable on the receiver end of things. I'm still learning the ins & outs of SWM. My set up is a 44,24 & H24 for a total of 8 tuners so before I upgraded a friend told me to get a SWM 8 with my SL3 LNB. My buddy at the store sold me a SWS 8 with my SWM LNB and said it's all I needed. Which is true as it all works.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes, the SWS8 is fine. An SWS4 would have worked also, and would be better if you have really long runs since the signal losses are lower. But I doubt it matters for your installation

Yes, the SWS8 is fine. An SWS4 would have worked also, and would be better if you have really long runs since the signal losses are lower. But I doubt it matters for your installation

Thanks for all your help in this thread, I'm sure others will find it useful too.

I had another question on this wiring diagram for a swm16, genie, 3xHR24, and CCK. Very similar to what I would have.

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/swm16_genie_3_HR24s.pdf

I'm just curious as to why you still need a splitter if the SWM16 has enough inputs on it?"

The SWM16 does not have enough outputs to support three devices without a splitter. The SWM16 has two signal outputs only (the number of inputs is not relevant), plus one for power if you want to use it (although you can also bring power in on one of the two outputs). So without splitters you can only connect two devices. If you have three devices you need at least one two way splitter. If you bring power in separately through a splitter's power-passing port you need two 2-way splitters, one on each of the inputs, or one 4-way. Or you can connect one of the devices passing through the power inserter so back to only needing one two way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)