1 year commitment ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gio164

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Agreed to a 1 year commitment in May 2005.(I got a tivo receiver) Is there a penalty for cancelling early or can I return the equipment with no penalty.

Thanks

Read the contract that you signed, the time frame you give should cancel any penalty by returning all the equipment to Directv. The contract that you signed governs the terms, if you don't have it call Directv for your specific conditions.

If it's only a 1 year contract then the early term fee is prorated from $150, two year from $300. So if you have 3 months it would be $37.50 wouldn't it?

You can avoid an early cancelation fee by returning all your receviers. However you may be charged a fee to return the equipment. The cancelation fee is pro rated upto $150 for a 1 year committment. You would have 3 months left so $37.50. If you have to return more that one recevier you may end up paying more to return the equipment than the early cancelation fee.

Returning all your receivers??? That doesn't seem like it should be legal. So one spends $600 on a TS160 in 2003, $400 on a TS160 in '04, $300 on a ts360 in 04, $299 on an H10 in 05, and adds an R15 boatanchor in Jan 06 and they expect you to send them equipment you spent $1600 on that had nothing to do with the commitment R15?
If that is true PLEASE point me to it in print. It's an election year and I'm buds with our State AG. I'm sure this could be a "I'm a friend of the consumer" issue.

"DIRECTV PROGRAMMING AND PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME. IF YOU FAIL TO MAINTAIN AND PAY FOR 24 CONSECUTIVE MONTHS OF THE REQUIRED PROGRAMMING PACKAGE, YOU AGREE THAT DIRECTV MAY CHARGE YOU A PRORATED FEE OF UP TO THREE HUNDRED U.S.DOLLARS ($300.00); WITHIN 14 DAYS OF DOWNGRADING OR DISCONNECTING YOUR PROGRAMMING, YOU HAVE AN OPTION TO SEND ALL OF YOUR DIRECTV SYSTEM EQUIPMENT (RECEIVER AND REMOTE CONTROL) TO DIRECTV IN LIEU OF PAYMENT. THE EQUIPMENT, INCLUDING THE ACCESS CARD INSERTED INTO EACH DIRECTV SYSTEM RECEIVER UNIT, MUST BE RETURNED TO DIRECTV IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR EXCEPTED. SEE DIRECTV.COM OR CALL 1-800-DIRECTV FOR DETAILS."

It should be noted this does not indicate if the rule applies to customer purchased equipment, and seems to only be for the first 14 days, so it is inconclusive in this context, this post only serves to provide the source by which this assumption _may_ have been made.

I also have this same clause on my DirecTv contract as of May 2005, however, when I look at directv.coms present agreement at: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/CustomerAgreement.jsp
it seems this is no longer mentioned.

Last edited:
projectorsrule said:
If it's only a 1 year contract then the early term fee is prorated from $150, two year from $300. So if you have 3 months it would be $37.50 wouldn't it?

Yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)