10.5 ft. RAYDX dish and more

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AJV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Cadillac, Michigan
I picked up a new addition to my farm today. 10.5 foot Raydx dish, about 90 feet of rg-6 and cable for motor and servo motor,
STS motor, SUPER ICE lnb, STS sr100 mk2 videocypher II receiver w/remote, and 13 foot by 4.5 in diameter pole. Now I just got to find out where the best place to put it. Here is some pics.

Is this receiver good for anything besides motor and servo motor mover?
100_3131.JPG100_3139.JPG100_3143.JPG100_3133.JPG100_3137.JPG

No, did not get it for taking it down. Paid $100 for it. Everything seems to be in good shape. Just got to find a good place to put it
so it conflict with the other dishes. Not alot of choices when you only have a city lot.

AJV

Nice find Al, I like the way you demonstrated the size of the mesh.
There are a very few analog signals still up there. I think Iceberg posted some a while back. Also one of the races this past summer was in analog. Not enough for me to drag out the analog receiver I have.
You should think about putting a ortho feed and two lnbs on that dish someday. It will out perform that rotator or a lnbf.
The post alone is worth $50, dish looks to be in good condition, I'd say you got a good deal.

No, did not get it for taking it down. Paid $100 for it. Everything seems to be in good shape. Just got to find a good place to put it
so it conflict with the other dishes. Not alot of choices when you only have a city lot.

AJV
Very nice condition! you got a bargain. I know what you mean about city lots ;) All my dishes are up high.
SB2012 007.JPG
satfav1.JPG

I picked up a new addition to my farm today. 10.5 foot Raydx dish, about 90 feet of rg-6 and cable for motor and servo motor,
STS motor, SUPER ICE lnb, STS sr100 mk2 videocypher II receiver w/remote, and 13 foot by 4.5 in diameter pole. Now I just got to find out where the best place to put it.
Simple, Cadillac is not that far from Ludington. So put it in my front yard.:D
Looks nice, good grab.

Nice find. Should work well. Remove the videocypher II module from the receiver as all it is is a load on the receivers power supply. There's also a battery on board that's likely getting ready to leak.

Judging from your yard, I think you have a typo...your "addition" should say "addiction"! :bow
Mighty nice looking gear. Did you have to pay, or were you lucky enough to take it off the hands of somebody with no need for it any longer?

Yeah! I think you could call it and addition.

Pixl
Nice find Al, I like the way you demonstrated the size of the mesh.
There are a very few analog signals still up there. I think Iceberg posted some a while back. Also one of the races this past summer was in analog. Not enough for me to drag out the analog receiver I have.
You should think about putting a ortho feed and two lnbs on that dish someday. It will out perform that rotator or a lnbf.
The post alone is worth $50, dish looks to be in good condition, I'd say you got a good deal.​

Thanks Jim for your input. I don't know if I'm going to use that lnb or simplifiy it. I will play around with it for a while though.

Simple, Cadillac is not that far from Ludington. So put it in my front yard.:D
Looks nice, good grab.

I thought you would say something like that.

I remember reading about pole installation, but can't seem to find it. Just wondering how much concrete and if any special hole design
to hold this thing in place. I am going to have the pole out of the ground about 7 feet and in the ground about 4 feet. Any good
recommendations would be appreciated. Got to get anti spin tabs welded on yet.

AJV

Thanks FaT Air for the links. It was very informative. A lot seems to be a little overkill, but I don't know.

My 7.5 ft. Unimesh is down 3.5 ft and the hole is about 12" - 14" in diameter, and no problem, but this dish is

larger. So I need to compensate for that. If Pixl is around maybe he will comment on how his dishes are mounted.

Al

My 10' mesh pole is 3.5' down in an 18" diameter hole, filled with concrete, hasn't moved a freckle in almost 20 yrs.

Soil type is a big factor though, ours is about 1/2 rock and 1/2 red clay.

When we "planted" in ground around here BITD, we need the bottom of the hole below the frost line(4ft), with ~2x2x1 cement footing surrounding the pole. Otherwise the frost was guaranteed to move it. If the soil is of lighter consistency a pad surrounding the pole 3 to 4 ft on the surface after packing (using a lot of water) the back-fill. One way to find out where your frost line is is ask a contractor how deep the bottom of footings are put for a house. That's how deep to "plant" your pole. Some owners did install the pole themselves, and turned out too shallow, and had leaning poles in no time. Some re-planted them, some put guy wires, for a mowing nightmare.
By far the most often used around here was the floating slab outlined in one of the threads referred to. Only needs readjustment the following spring and fall, then will settle to only now and then. I've probably only readjusted my pole 3 times, after the first year, since the mid 80's.
Today there's 18+ inch augers on Bobcats, for boring outside sump pumps and planting poles for pole sheds. That would have been nice to rent BITD. Rent $ is the same to dig 3ft or 6.
Biggest factors are soil type and frost or not. Ask a concrete contractor where they put footings in your area. It's also probably stated in building codes. I'd rather overkill slightly than under. It's not fun redoing the pole. just my 2¢
Phlatwound- 3ft deep in heavy soil,and I'll add, no frost to battle. Boy I wish we only had to dig that far BITD.

...Biggest factors are soil type and frost or not. Ask a concrete contractor where they put footings in your area. It's also probably stated in building codes. I'd rather overkill slightly than under. It's not fun redoing the pole. just my 2¢
Phlatwound- 3ft deep in heavy soil,and I'll add, no frost to battle. Boy I wish we only had to dig that far BITD.

Good point on the frost depth, FA, I tend to forget about that here in the "hillbilly tropics". :)

It is not uncommon to have 2-3 weeks below zero here but we don't get a real deep freeze, and code depth for a commercial footing is just 24" below grade.

Frost heave is some powerful stuff, as the old Chiffon commercial used to say..."it's not nice to fool Mother Nature". ;)

AJV,

I have a 10.5 Raydx that I installed in '84 at my northern OH location. Great dish. Deep. Mesh is just fine for those ku signals. I got an 8' pole. Dug a 3' deep x 24" dia. hole. Put some gravel in the bottom. Drilled 2 crossholes at 90 degrees through the pipe and slipped 2 lengths of rebar thru them, sticking out 6 or so inches on both sides of the pipe for rotation prevention. Filled hole and pipe with concrete. Still plumb after nearly 28 years. I have the Raydx info for setting the declination adjustments on the back of the dish if you need them. If you are near the previous latitude location, you will not need them. I've gone through a number of receivers as the technology changed. Currently, the main receiver for the dish is an Azbox Elite running off of Norsat C and ku lnb's mounted on an ADL feedhorn. When I upgraded to the C/Ku setup a number of years ago, I added 3 guy wires from the rim of the dish to the feedhorn to take up the weight and keep the feedhorn centered in the dish. My old 4DTV receiver merely moves the dish and provides polarity. There is not much that I can't get with that setup thanks to the Raydx.

Joe

chc59,

Thanks for your input. I am more confident that I will be very happy whith this dish. Putting in the pole today. Hole is 5 ft down by 18 inches in diameter.
I on't think I will have any problems with it moving.

AJV

Nice find! Will enjoy reading the progress as it goes up.

Planted the pole today at 5 foot deep and 18 inches wide. Put 1 inch PVC elbow in concrete for cables. Also painted the pole with

Rustoleum Hammered Copper color per wife's specifications. Now need to wait a couple days to let the 14 bags of concrete to set.

When I get the dish set I will add some pics.

AJV

Installed the dish today and hooked the wiring the way is was. Anyone familiar with the wire hookup, for the motor and rotator, on the

back of this STS receiver?

AJV
polarizer.JPG

You forgot to leave a bit of the original wiring at the receiver? For a polorotor: GND ends up at the black wire of the servo. + or +5(which I don't see**) will end up at the red wire of the servo. the top ?? connection will end up on the white wire of the servo. Looks like there's 2 MOTOR and ?? and GND on the bottom for the actuator motor and sensor. Check with a voltmeter what those C Ku terminals do. Think one will be 5v if a Ku programmed sat is selected, and C will be 5v if a C sat is selected. Might be able to connect both to the red servo wire(?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts