10' BUD Install Ideas for Cosmetic WAF?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

signal.quest

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Near Scranton, PA
I have a 10' Mesh dish stored in pieces in my garage. My wife has reluctantly allowed me to install it. I have only 2 options for an install location due to LOS. I can install on my roof or on the ground on the side of my house. I only have 8.5' of land from the side of my house to the property line. This is where I would like to install the dish. I also would like to plant trees or install a fence to cosmetically hide the dish from the front of the house. Has anyone done an install like this? Can anyone provide any suggestions? With 8.5 feet (front to back of dish) do you think I have enough room for the actuator do move the dish from each side of the arc? Thanks.

This week I'm installing an 8' C band dish in the backyard. I had the same problem with my wife. I either had to install it where I had wanted with a perfect view, but install a partial fence around it or install it near trees as shown in the picture. I still will see most of the arc, but might need to trim a few trees to see others.

Attachments

• 8Dish_02.jpg
    8Dish_02.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 8Dish_03.jpg
    8Dish_03.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 202
I feel your pain and so do others here.

I'd avoid your roof at all cost. Forgetting the pressure the wind will create on it for a moment, it can be incredibly dangerous to service a dish that size anywhere but at ground level. But about wind, the higher you get from the ground the higher the wind speeds get. You will want to talk to a structural engineer to find out just what loading effects a dish will create on your home.

Back to height though. I'm petrified of heights and I'm very careful when I'm off the ground. The mount of my BUD is 9' off the ground. While adjusting the dish I'd once fallen from a step ladder when somehow the ladder went out from under me. I was fortunate to get up after the way I fell. Working on a BUD at ground level is much easier and safer at ground level. Your life is at stake working at heights. Is your BUD worth that? The answer will be "no" when your life is flashing before your eyes.

Can anyone recommend a good temp mount solution for the ground? I would rather temp mount to see if the LOS is not an issue and to see if I can plant trees or a fence. Can anyone recommend a cheap fast way to mount the BUD without digging and using concrete for testing purposes?

We had a 10ft'r mounted on a flatbed trailer (car hauler) for rentals way back when. same mount as I have still today on a floating slab. see pics for ideas here http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/214870-concrete-pad-8-dish.html#post2216052 The 3 bolt base allows plumbing the pole. We'd put wood or cement blocks under the rear lip of the trailer, then lift the tongue with the jack till weight was removed from the axles, and fairly level. then plumb the pole with the base adjustments, tune it up. usually only took about a half hour.

Status
Please reply by conversation.