10 ft. mesh dish (1 Viewer)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amlawn

Thread Starter
New Member
Dec 3, 2009
3
0
bay area, ca.
Hey, all. Found this forum on yahoo/answers. My father-in-law has a black 10 ft. mesh dish in the back yard w/receiver and still works. don't want to tear it out and scrap it, as it seems such a waste. would this be the right place to post this? BTW, will be selling the home soon and need to do something w/dish..... thanks !
P.S. i can get the brand etc. as i have all the books/paper from when he bought it, just went online on a whim to see if there was an interest in these anymore. 1988-89 dish?
 

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
11,819
10
L.A., Calif.
yes:

Absolutely! - :cool:

This is the place.

Pictures, details, size, height from ground to the mount, any receivers... it all helps.
We'll try to find you a good home for it, with a caring SatGuy or SatGurl.
If we don't get a member to remove and haul it off for you, we'll give you some tips on how to find a local who wants it.

Smith P, you paying attention??? (he's in the Bay Area)
 

amlawn

Thread Starter
New Member
Dec 3, 2009
3
0
bay area, ca.
Thanks Anole. Glad someone would want it. seemed a shame to toss it out like it was trash. i will get all that info u suggested and post soon.
 

gmd63

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 3, 2007
205
0
That's a nice switch, someone asking us if we want a dish, rather then us beating the bushes trying to find one. :eek:
 

amlawn

Thread Starter
New Member
Dec 3, 2009
3
0
bay area, ca.
thanks for the encouragement, hope i can find a new home for this dish. i have the install and op manual for it and it says echostar x-10 and the receiver is an echostarr srd-4000 w/remote. will try to post pictures as soon as i can, but is very clean from being in the backyard. on a 7' pole also.
 

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
0
Where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in San Jose and have been looking to replace my 7 1/2 foot dish with a 10 foot dish.
 

knowmiddlename

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 5, 2009
201
0
Northern California, USA
Where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in San Jose and have been looking to replace my 7 1/2 foot dish with a 10 foot dish.
Hi Photoman,
I'd be interested knowing what additional signals you expect to receive with the 10 footer compared to the 7-1/2 footer. I plan to install a 7.5 here in Sac and hope that it will be sufficient. Your insight would be greatly appreciated. :)
 

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
0
The 7 1/2 footer is fine for analog and 99% of DVB-S signals. I have more problems with DVB-S2 signals. About 75% of the signals come in fine, but the other 25% I can't lock. I'm hoping the 10 footer will enable me to lock all DVB-S2 signals I can find.
 

knowmiddlename

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 5, 2009
201
0
Northern California, USA
The 7 1/2 footer is fine for analog and 99% of DVB-S signals. I have more problems with DVB-S2 signals. About 75% of the signals come in fine, but the other 25% I can't lock. I'm hoping the 10 footer will enable me to lock all DVB-S2 signals I can find.
Interesting.... Could you possibly keep us posted with your results? I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated by all. :)
 

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
0
I met with amlawn today and looked at the dish. It looks to be in great shape. It's a late 1980's mesh dish. It has a buttonhook feed, which I will probably guy wire for more stability. The mesh is Ku compatible. It's a 10 footer with 18 panel sections. I'll be removing it in the next few days depending on weather conditions. amlawn is a very nice guy. He wants the dish out of there, as it takes up to much room in the backyard and doesn't help the resale value of the property and I can definitely use the dish, so it's a win win for both of us.
 

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
3,252
203
Goosapeak Junction
I met with amlawn today and looked at the dish. It looks to be in great shape. It's a late 1980's mesh dish. It has a buttonhook feed, which I will probably guy wire for more stability. The mesh is Ku compatible. It's a 10 footer with 18 panel sections. I'll be removing it in the next few days depending on weather conditions. amlawn is a very nice guy. He wants the dish out of there, as it takes up to much room in the backyard and doesn't help the resale value of the property and I can definitely use the dish, so it's a win win for both of us.

That's fantastic, photoman, hope it helps you to lock some of those more-challenging signals out there that have been marginal for your existing setup.

And thanks to amlawn for coming here to SatGuys and finding a good home for another Big Useful Dish! :up
 

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
11,819
10
L.A., Calif.
Another dish saved!
Thanks to both of ya - :up

Now, we'll be lookin' forward to some preliminary pictures.
Post 'em in this thread so we know (if you like).

Always happy to see a fairy tale ending. - :D
 

semco72057

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 16, 2009
48
0
Grapevine, Arkansas
If it still works I would not throw it away. You can still use it and depending on the receiver's quality I would be using that unit myself. I see many around here in Arkansas and they seem to be in good shape overall. I have part of a motorized "C" band unit on co-worker wanted to get off his property. The unit is very heavy and sturdy, although I didn't get the dish part as it was damaged. When I found that so many satellites was working I wanted to set up one myself until I found out that the Ku band was better and easier to put up. I also have a Dish Network dish which is in good shape and don't know what to do with it. I was influenced by a friend's system which was a very large "C" band unit and saw the quality and loved it very much. I put up a Ku band unit in my yard in the country and it works fine getting signals from over 12 satellites currently.
 

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
0
Here are two pictures of the dish. One before removal and one after.
 

Attachments

  • 10 footer before removal.jpg
    10 footer before removal.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 10 footer after removal.jpg
    10 footer after removal.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 187

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
0
I've installed the 10 foot dish. Installation was more difficult than I expected. But it was worth the effort. C band performance is greatly improved over the 7 1/2 footer. I can now lock the DVB-S2 signals that I was having trouble with before. Ku performance is only slightly better, not much improvement there.
 

Attachments

  • 10 footer new location.jpg
    10 footer new location.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 127
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top