10 ft. mesh dish (1 Viewer)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amlawn

Dec 3, 2009
bay area, ca.
Hey, all. Found this forum on yahoo/answers. My father-in-law has a black 10 ft. mesh dish in the back yard w/receiver and still works. don't want to tear it out and scrap it, as it seems such a waste. would this be the right place to post this? BTW, will be selling the home soon and need to do something w/dish..... thanks !
P.S. i can get the brand etc. as i have all the books/paper from when he bought it, just went online on a whim to see if there was an interest in these anymore. 1988-89 dish?

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
yes:

Absolutely! - :cool:

This is the place.

Pictures, details, size, height from ground to the mount, any receivers... it all helps.
We'll try to find you a good home for it, with a caring SatGuy or SatGurl.
If we don't get a member to remove and haul it off for you, we'll give you some tips on how to find a local who wants it.

Smith P, you paying attention??? (he's in the Bay Area)

amlawn

Dec 3, 2009
bay area, ca.
Thanks Anole. Glad someone would want it. seemed a shame to toss it out like it was trash. i will get all that info u suggested and post soon.

gmd63

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 3, 2007
That's a nice switch, someone asking us if we want a dish, rather then us beating the bushes trying to find one. :eek:

amlawn

Dec 3, 2009
bay area, ca.
thanks for the encouragement, hope i can find a new home for this dish. i have the install and op manual for it and it says echostar x-10 and the receiver is an echostarr srd-4000 w/remote. will try to post pictures as soon as i can, but is very clean from being in the backyard. on a 7' pole also.

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
Where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in San Jose and have been looking to replace my 7 1/2 foot dish with a 10 foot dish.

knowmiddlename

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 5, 2009
Northern California, USA
Where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in San Jose and have been looking to replace my 7 1/2 foot dish with a 10 foot dish.
Hi Photoman,
I'd be interested knowing what additional signals you expect to receive with the 10 footer compared to the 7-1/2 footer. I plan to install a 7.5 here in Sac and hope that it will be sufficient. Your insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
The 7 1/2 footer is fine for analog and 99% of DVB-S signals. I have more problems with DVB-S2 signals. About 75% of the signals come in fine, but the other 25% I can't lock. I'm hoping the 10 footer will enable me to lock all DVB-S2 signals I can find.

knowmiddlename

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 5, 2009
Northern California, USA
The 7 1/2 footer is fine for analog and 99% of DVB-S signals. I have more problems with DVB-S2 signals. About 75% of the signals come in fine, but the other 25% I can't lock. I'm hoping the 10 footer will enable me to lock all DVB-S2 signals I can find.
Interesting.... Could you possibly keep us posted with your results? I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated by all. :)

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
I met with amlawn today and looked at the dish. It looks to be in great shape. It's a late 1980's mesh dish. It has a buttonhook feed, which I will probably guy wire for more stability. The mesh is Ku compatible. It's a 10 footer with 18 panel sections. I'll be removing it in the next few days depending on weather conditions. amlawn is a very nice guy. He wants the dish out of there, as it takes up to much room in the backyard and doesn't help the resale value of the property and I can definitely use the dish, so it's a win win for both of us.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
I met with amlawn today and looked at the dish. It looks to be in great shape. It's a late 1980's mesh dish. It has a buttonhook feed, which I will probably guy wire for more stability. The mesh is Ku compatible. It's a 10 footer with 18 panel sections. I'll be removing it in the next few days depending on weather conditions. amlawn is a very nice guy. He wants the dish out of there, as it takes up to much room in the backyard and doesn't help the resale value of the property and I can definitely use the dish, so it's a win win for both of us.

That's fantastic, photoman, hope it helps you to lock some of those more-challenging signals out there that have been marginal for your existing setup.

And thanks to amlawn for coming here to SatGuys and finding a good home for another Big Useful Dish! :up

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Another dish saved!
Thanks to both of ya - :up

Now, we'll be lookin' forward to some preliminary pictures.
Post 'em in this thread so we know (if you like).

Always happy to see a fairy tale ending. - :D

semco72057

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 16, 2009
Grapevine, Arkansas
If it still works I would not throw it away. You can still use it and depending on the receiver's quality I would be using that unit myself. I see many around here in Arkansas and they seem to be in good shape overall. I have part of a motorized "C" band unit on co-worker wanted to get off his property. The unit is very heavy and sturdy, although I didn't get the dish part as it was damaged. When I found that so many satellites was working I wanted to set up one myself until I found out that the Ku band was better and easier to put up. I also have a Dish Network dish which is in good shape and don't know what to do with it. I was influenced by a friend's system which was a very large "C" band unit and saw the quality and loved it very much. I put up a Ku band unit in my yard in the country and it works fine getting signals from over 12 satellites currently.

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
Here are two pictures of the dish. One before removal and one after.

Attachments

• 10 footer before removal.jpg
    10 footer before removal.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 10 footer after removal.jpg
    10 footer after removal.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 187

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
I've installed the 10 foot dish. Installation was more difficult than I expected. But it was worth the effort. C band performance is greatly improved over the 7 1/2 footer. I can now lock the DVB-S2 signals that I was having trouble with before. Ku performance is only slightly better, not much improvement there.

Attachments

• 10 footer new location.jpg
    10 footer new location.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 127
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts