$10 HBO Ending ?

I get your point and I agree with it, but I'm sure that Dish gets a cut out of that $15, so not quite all of it goes to HBO.
Completely irrelevant. HBO knows what Dish is charging their customers based on the amount they get after Dish takes their cut. If the number of HBO subscribers doesn't significantly drop after the $15 price goes into effect, HBO will not get the message that their price point is too high.

Well, you'll still be paying the full HBO $15 charge, which will tell HBO that you still find a $15 price worth it. The only way is to vote with your wallet and not let HBO get $15.
I see your point but I still want to watch HBO series tv. SO come September I will decide what I am going to do .

Reactions: pattykay
What will you do to combat the content owners DARE2be? I don't think just taking the price and FEE increases without getting monthly credits is going to do anything either , are you advocating that approach?
I realize the question was for dare2be, but since I also have Flex Pack, I will weigh in on this. My plan is to downgrade to Welcome Pack when my contract expires. That should combat the price increase for awhile.

I realize the question was for dare2be, but since I also have Flex Pack, I will weigh in on this. My plan is to downgrade to Welcome Pack when my contract expires. That should combat the price increase for awhile.
Honestly I am thinking of seriously going with SLING Tv + $5.00 dvr fee on my 4k Firestick with HDR and add Tablo 4 tuner dvr for ota channels. You can record 4 ota channels at one time and it even gives you complete guide data for all your channels two weeks out. Only requires a $49.99 yearly fee or $4.99 monthly fee, which is much less than the $12.00 monthly fee for locals from DISH or the monthly $15.00 dvr FEE that they charge to accomplish it. This would give me access to my cable shows from Sling tv on my I pad and my phone ,just like DISH ANYWHERE does. Also tablo has an app that you can watch on your I pad or phone or Firestick too. You hook it up to your router and it gives you ota channels anywhere in the house you have internet ,including away from home. WE mostly watch ota television anyway , so the Tablo will work. I ordered it this morning from Amazon and tomorrow it arrives along with an external hard drive to record the shows too. Will post once I test it . IF this works well then Bye Bye DISH and hello Sling and Tablo. DISH will still get some of my money through Sling Tv but not near as much as they have been getting for over 21 years.

Last edited:
Well, you'll still be paying the full HBO $15 charge, which will tell HBO that you still find a $15 price worth it. The only way is to vote with your wallet and not let HBO get $15.

HBO is free for one month and then only $5 a month on DirecTV Now. That seems like a better deal than the Flex Package.

HBO is free for one month and then only $5 a month on DirecTV Now. That seems like a better deal than the Flex Package.

It is (and has been for a long time) free for AT&T Unlimited wireless customers on DirecTV Now or DirecTV.

DirecTV’s equipment sucks so bad, I’ll just pay the $15.

Right now I don’t have fast enough Internet service to do DirecTV Now. 1 Gig fiber should be available here in 5 or 6 months. Might give it a try then.

Only thing is, on DirecTV Now, I think there is just one or two “live” channels, the rest is on demand only.

Last edited:
It is (and has been for a long time) free for AT&T Unlimited wireless customers on DirecTV Now or DirecTV.

Right now I don’t have fast enough Internet service to do DirecTV Now. 1 Gig fiber should be available here in 5 or 6 months. Might give it a try then.

Only thing is, on DirecTV Now, I think there is just one or two “live” channels, the rest is on demand only.
I didn't know that. I thought is was Directv's answer to Sling? Only two live channels? I can get Showtime East and West live through their app.

I didn't know that. I thought is was Directv's answer to Sling? Only two live channels?

I meant of HBO. DirecTV has probably well over 100 live channels, but HBO East and HBO Family are the only live ones of the HBO suite (currently) the rest is VOD.

So, ATT is already using their new ownership of HBO to offer a hefty discount to lure customers away from other providers, eh? :p

While at the same time ending discounts on other providers..... things that make you go "hmmm"
Might try Directv ‘s online app if I can get HBO for $5.00, instead of sling tv at that price.

Streaming
Internet speed recommendations for optimal streaming

Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for watching DIRECTV NOW:

• 150 Kbps - 2.5 Mbps - Minimum broadband connection speed for Mobile devices
  • 2.5 - 7.5 Mbps - Recommended for HD quality
We recommend a minimum of 12 Mbps for broadband connections to the home.

HD Video Quality

TV shows and movies that are available in HD will play in 720p or better with the recommended download speed on web browsers. Keep in mind that mobile streams on a smartphone or tablet are limited to 480p.

Boy Directv Now has all the channels I watch for $35.00 and $5.00 for HBO. Two streams at a time and no distinction between orange and blue like Sling tv does. The only drawback is a 20 hour cloud dvr. Even Sling Tv gives you 50 hours. Got my Tablo hooked up and it looks good but I am having problems recording the SD sub channel like Comet tv. I have to put the recording in 480 sd to keep from seeing pixels and blur. HD channels look fine. I was really wanting to watch Comet tv for sci fi shows and it has guide data . But having to change the resolution to be able to watch it is a pain. Will play with it a bit longer till I get the bugs out.

Streaming
Internet speed recommendations for optimal streaming

Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for watching DIRECTV NOW:

• 150 Kbps - 2.5 Mbps - Minimum broadband connection speed for Mobile devices
  • 2.5 - 7.5 Mbps - Recommended for HD quality
We recommend a minimum of 12 Mbps for broadband connections to the home.

HD Video Quality

TV shows and movies that are available in HD will play in 720p or better with the recommended download speed on web browsers. Keep in mind that mobile streams on a smartphone or tablet are limited to 480p.

I have about 3.5 Mbps down right now. I don’t want to depend on it exclusively for TV now. Once the fiber is available, I won’t have any worries about speed.

I picked up HBO when I got the $5 for 6 months deal. We're using it almost exclusively to watch Westworld and try to catch up on GOT.

We have had a Netflix sub for a LONG time, and IMO HBO doesn't offer anything close to the contents Netflix does. I'm looking at my HBO channels right now - Garfield the Movie, Princess Diaries 2, Role Models (Paul Rudd), The Shaggy Dog, Semi Pro, War for the Planet of the Apes, She's Out of My League, Peter Pan, Napolean Dynamite, etc. And they repeat for a couple of weeks. I look at my Netflix playlist and there's a huge choice of older movies (with a wider range of dates made,) a ton of interesting documentaries, a good number of Netflix originals, a nice vault of older TV shows (including some going way back in time,) My wife and I laugh that every time we browse through all the Netflix content we end up adding a couple of shows to our playlist, which is already large enough we have a hard time keeping up with it. Also, more and more of their content has a download option.

HBO has a few originals (I dislike Bill Mahr, not because of politics but because I simply don't like him for reasons that would derail this thread) like Oliver, Westworld, and GOT that we enjoy. But certainly not enough to pay $15 a month. Even at our current price, I scan HBO in the guide for a couple of weeks to try to find something to record and I rarely find anything.

FWIW

I liked the first season of Westworld better than the second. It’s starting to take on the standard “women are awesome and solve all the world’s problems while men are evil dominating jerks” theme, which really turns me off. But I’ll still be watching the final episode tonight. Not sure I’ll be spending the $15 to watch the third season though (if there is one).

Reactions: glynnp
hbo by itself is 15 dollars on its own website.
so if someone does not have cable and want hbo only they can buy it for 15 bucks per month. *not bad* considering its by itself. I have my internet recently upgraded to 75 mps and hbo is good

peace i like hbo, and showtime.
btw jurrasic park new movie was good. at the end*its very interesting what happens.* wont say what happens but the movie is good.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Hmm ok, I just downgraded from Top 200 to Flex + news and am saving $15 per month which will cover the HBO price increase. Hate to lose the Science Channel but HBO is definitely more valuable to me.

DirecTV Now looks promising with $5 HBO and a free Apple TV to cover the second TV but I really like Dish as a company so I'm not ready to pull the plug on them right now. For now, going to go month to month and reassess my options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts