10 Hour Outage in NYC

Dano

Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
Bensonhurst: Brooklyn, NY
Last night, I lost signal. Cycling on/off didn't work, neither did unplugging.
This morning, I checked again - nothing.
Installation Wizard: Satellite Signal = zero. OTA signal RF56 = 99
OTA Scan = nothing.
No channels came in.

I check the boards, and thought it shut down sooner than expected !!

After multiple calls to VOOM - where they offered to have a tech look at it on MONDAY (another missed work day ?) I was ready to have it uninstalled. A 3rd cold reboot seemed to get it working again.
(I was sure at this point, the dish moved out of alignment)

Is this a known issue w/ 7.33 ? Anyway to tell what the cause is next time, before assuming it's the dish?

PS: I asked first 2 reps about Cablevision's sale to E* - and neither heard of it. The rep I spoke to most recently when service came back said "Service will continue to operate normally". Then again, after she had me reboot despite my earlier reboots - she then told me I shouldn't reboot too often, as I'd permanently break my STB.

Hmm... Anyone know the SOONEST date Voom will run until ?

jimmykce1 said:
I too didn't have any problems with getting a signal.

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I suspected.
Being I've never really experienced any major STB problems - from the zero signal, it really looked as if my dish got disconnected physically (or fell out of alignment) - so I was very surprised to see a 3rd reboot brought it back.

*sigh* I think I'm going to take all of my 2005 vacation and spend some quality time with my VOOM HD :no

DVI2HDMI issue if HDMI unit is powered down

Dano said:
Last night, I lost signal. Cycling on/off didn't work, neither did unplugging.
This morning, I checked again - nothing.
Installation Wizard: Satellite Signal = zero. OTA signal RF56 = 99
OTA Scan = nothing.
No channels came in.

I check the boards, and thought it shut down sooner than expected !!

After multiple calls to VOOM - where they offered to have a tech look at it on MONDAY (another missed work day ?) I was ready to have it uninstalled. A 3rd cold reboot seemed to get it working again.
(I was sure at this point, the dish moved out of alignment)

Is this a known issue w/ 7.33 ? Anyway to tell what the cause is next time, before assuming it's the dish?
I saw this happen again last night - but I think I found the source.
I recently started using DVI to HDMI to connect my VOOM STB to my JVC D-ILA HDMI input.
At night - I shut my entire system down - and then, I power up the VOOM STB only, so that I can watch it in another room on a standard TV via RF input. Within a couple of minutes, I lost OTA signal... When I looked at the STB, I saw the satellite icon was red. I pulled the HDMI cable out of my HDTV (which was off) - and everything went back to normal.
Seems to be related to the order of what gets turned on and when - and the STB not finding HDCP hardware (??)
Just wanted to share, in case someone else was having the same issue.

Dano said:
Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I suspected.
Being I've never really experienced any major STB problems - from the zero signal, it really looked as if my dish got disconnected physically (or fell out of alignment) - so I was very surprised to see a 3rd reboot brought it back.

*sigh* I think I'm going to take all of my 2005 vacation and spend some quality time with my VOOM HD :no

Well, my VoOm satellite service was out Sunday morning also, that is, until I cleaned some of the snow off of my dish and LNB :D

Is it possible your reception came back after some of the snow melted?

Hmm I had this same exact problem with one of my STBS yesterday. It was off for the better half of the day. The satellite icon on the STB was orange, it showing 97 strength for the dish....I ended up doing a hard reset (hold power in for 5 seconds) as soon as it came back all worked ok....

Yes, we have this problem every so often as well. We do what we call a power button reset (but I believe most call this a "soft reboot"). Think a "hard reset" is pulling the plug from the wall.

Watching Equator HD under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts