Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikelib

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Jersey Sure
I will be at Wells Mills County Park, in Waretown, NJ with the Old Barney Amateur Radio Club. If you hear N2OB on any band give a call.

I am helping out with lunch duties and will be trying to make a Ham Radio Satellite contact. See pics of the AZ/EL and polarity changing mount, with a light weight 3-element 2 meter yagi antenna and a 6-element 70 cm yagi antenna I made. I also made an X-wing UHF right hand circular polarized satellite antenna.

I will be 20 meters for an hour or two, early Sunday Morning around 3 AM. Hope to contact some of my FTA-Ham Buddies.
mikelib

Attachments

• DSCF5224.JPG
    DSCF5224.JPG
    551 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF5231.JPG
    DSCF5231.JPG
    552.7 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF5226.JPG
    DSCF5226.JPG
    554.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 2010_0615_X-wing_antenna_0006.JPG
    2010_0615_X-wing_antenna_0006.JPG
    610.3 KB · Views: 221
Interesting creations! I know nothing about amateur radio but it looks like fun. That last antenna, I guess is the x-wing, is strange looking though. Let us know if you pick up anything on it.

Interesting creations! I know nothing about amateur radio but it looks like fun. That last antenna, I guess is the x-wing, is strange looking though. Let us know if you pick up anything on it.
Yes that is the X-wing antenna, I am trying to get milcom on my bearcat scanner. I did copy the Brazilian Priates as of yesterday, check out this story.

The Great Brazilian Sat-Hack Crackdown#

mikelib

pirates

Thanks for the article. I was not aware of that. I popped the popular pirate
frequency in my BC780 yesterday afternoon and I'll be darned if I did not
hear them. Not real strong on my scanner antenna, just slightly above the
noise. I'll have to work on an antenna.

Jim

Thanks for the article. I was not aware of that. I popped the popular pirate
frequency in my BC780 yesterday afternoon and I'll be darned if I did not
hear them. Not real strong on my scanner antenna, just slightly above the
noise. I'll have to work on an antenna.

Jim
Jim do a search on YOU tube and you will get a video of the Brazilian Federal Police making an arrest, and confiscations of the dishes. The video is in Portuguese but you can understand what is happing. It seems that the pirates screw some kind of helix type antenna into the center of a dish and modify a 220 transceiver.

If we can hear the Brazilian Pirates why can’t we hear US Navy transmissions????
mikelib

Digital signal with encryption just sounds like noise and spread spectrum Tx looks like background noise on most monitor receivers.

Digital signal with encryption just sounds like noise and spread spectrum Tx looks like background noise on most monitor receivers.
1Adam12,

Your right I sent an e-mail to Mike Frye the author and designer of the X-wing and he did mention that mil-satcom fm is very rare, here is his quote:

"Satcom signals in the clear are a bit rare but take a listen to 255.555MHz NBFM in the afternoon and early evening time for Brazilian pirates, they seem to use this frequency a lot.

These are wide band data carriers and are best detected in AM mode. As you tune across them you can hear a definite change in the background hiss. I used several of these carriers with a spectrum analyzer when comparing the X-wing gain to other antennas."

You guessed why we don't hear the military, I am going to find one of those digital computer programs that can do ALE (Automatic Link Establishment) so I can copy some milcom.
MikeLib

Field Day Plus one ... 1Bravo EWA , solar power, but only made 53 contacts.

Pop,
Thats great, I started to work 6 meters at midnight saturday and worked around 5 stations in Florida, the band was in and out and folded after those contacts. I then went over to 20 meter phone around one, worked a couple of the mid-west state and six land contacts and the band folded. All toll you made more contacts then I. We feed around 40 hams lunch and dinner and the food cordination (which I do) was a chore. The Old Barney Amateur Radio Club does well score wise even with my small contribution, we usally come in the top ten of the entry class. I would of loved to log in your 1B EWA, maybe next year. We were 4A SNJ.
73's
Mike Lib
WA2ACV

Sweet, I worked in about 250 contacts on 20 meters and 40 meters from 8pm to midnight, from Florida to the west coast. It inspired me to go out and finally get a 746pro. Some traffic jams were crazy to get through..

73' Bob K9SAT.

Well, I decided to try to get on HF after a 5 year wait. I got 3 - 30 foot telephone poles and 3 - 15 foot to put up in place of towers or trees but I have not had time to do it. So, I just put up a 135 ft dipole feed by ladder line accross the yard and set up on the dirt with my Icom 530. My ham generator ate a valve so that left me the choice of my big generator at 1 gallon per hour or battery operation with solar - and HEY solar worked. I charged for 14 hours at over 15 amps!

I was only able to load up on 80, 40 and 20 Meters. !5 and 10 were no load. Oh yes, one contact for the contest on 2 meters, my wife gave me a report from her handheld to mine to tell me she did have dinner ready.

I had two human visitors and one horse.

ARRL contest HQ said since I had not been on the air yet from home I could be class B, and I did not start to set up until the start of the Field Day so I was able to be on the whole 27 hours.... But I went to bed and did not use all the time.

Now to make it permanant and get the Nye Viking tuner working - and maybe add some more antennas. I have a tri-band vertical given to me to try to figure out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts