"10 Things I hate about Directv"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess if I were to break his list down I would go this way.

They Lie About HD Channel Counts
As far as I know, they have always said capacity when giving larger numbers than what they carry. It isnt a lie as far as I can prove. Good marketing, as we know some will take it to mean there are that many carried. Again, not a lie.

They Have Stopped Adding HD Channels

Nothing false about this one. They have stopped adding HD channels. For me, I have what I want, but again, nothing false with this statement.

They're Pretending That 3D Is Great For Subscribers
They are betting on a new tech. I dont see it as pretending, unless someone can prove otherwise. 3D appears to have more backing than any other attempted roll out time in the past. They should add ESPN3d full time though.
I can see this argument as one many made about HD, so we know how that turned out.

They Will Rip Off Their Subscribers Without Even a Second Though

I can only go from personal experience here. I am sure there have been bad situations with some subs. I havent been part of one.

They Have the Worst-Informed Telemarketing Team In the World
Pretty much the same as above. Although I have had some CSRs that were less than informed. However, when that has happened, I still have gotten my issue resolved by going a person higher.

They Lie About Offering Movies In 1080p HD

Umm, no they dont. His quote, not mine. They do offer movies in 1080p, and I have never seen them say that it is the same quality as Blu-ray. Not saying they have not, I just have not seen it.
I have seen them say that it is the same format (which it says on the site now), and it is the same resolution.
Fact remains, they DO offer movies in 1080p. That is not a lie.
They Lie About Shows Being In HD

Not sure on this one. Possible, and maybe likely. I would guess that they advertise what the channels pass along. Again, not sure enough here.

They Require Your Dish to Be Positioned Just So

well duh........
Show me a sat provider that doesnt. Nit pick, and throws the whole article in question for me. If THIS is one of the ten things that you HATE.....get cable, cause sat tv just isnt for you.

They Are Threatening to Remove Channels

I have seen very few channels actually removed. Cant say anything else.

Their HD Picture Quality Can Vary From Day to Day

Another thing I have not personally noticed on the same program if watched at different times. I have seen different programs with varying PQ, but that is to be expected, and is a constant on any system.
Not saying it isnt true, I probably dont watch enough to say without a doubt. Just in my experience, PQ on the same program at different times is pretty consistent.

but there is a difference between what he put
"DIRECTV ran a misleading ad campaign last year saying that it had a '200 HD channel capacity.' "

and Dish saying "200 HD channels" and plastering it all over their site

capacity is a big word in the difference.
Again Ice, We aren't talking about DISH

And again, Just because Dish does it , doesn't make it OK for D* to do it.

And D* intent on using the Word "capacity" is Just as bad !
Because it misleads the customer into thinking they will have 200 HD Channels in the very near future.
Its a good way to say we don't have the most , But we will have the most, sign up for 24 months with us.

Directv is their own company.

Just a side note on Swanni's article, while I find it full of FUD and bunk I think I know where he going at with the whole dish has to be point just right statement.

with a 18 inch round looking at 101 a blind monkey could point the damn thing and get a good signal. Even with a Phase 3 real easy to get strong lock on 101/119
Even a Dish Net EA Dish I can throw up and peak with out alot of trouble. But Slimlines are something else they are a considerable pain over orlder dishes more so just because of the KA band. KA is just more narrow band and requires someone who knows what he heck there doing to get it just so.

So I am taking his remakr more to the finicky nature of KA band then general LOS issue.

Customer's perceptions and misunderstanding of what words and phrases really mean is THEIR problem. They needs to grow up, learn some reading comprehension and get over it.

and the whole just because Dish does it doesn't make it OK for DirecTV; well true BUT then the article should be titled 10 things I hate about DBS services; not just 1 specific provider; which gives the reader the PERCEPTION DirecTV or DISH is the ONLY one doing one thing or another.

Now whats wrong with that, seems most everyone using is enjoying it ....

I don't have it, or need it, but I was just wondering...

Because that is not what it is. Calling it MRV is fine. But the ads on TV are all Whole Home DVR. If you knew how many customers I have to deal with that switch from Dish, to only find out they have DVR in only 1 location. Not to mention the ones that think they get it on every TV not knowing that the most you get FREE is on 2, after that it cost a 100 per.

Customer's perceptions and misunderstanding of what words and phrases really mean is THEIR problem. They needs to grow up, learn some reading comprehension and get over it.

and the whole just because Dish does it doesn't make it OK for DirecTV; well true BUT then the article should be titled 10 things I hate about DBS services; not just 1 specific provider; which gives the reader the PERCEPTION DirecTV or DISH is the ONLY one doing one thing or another.

Kind of what I was saying. There is advertising that could be misleading, but is truthful. I havent seen anything that is an outright lie, as he says in several of his statements.

Because that is not what it is. Calling it MRV is fine. But the ads on TV are all Whole Home DVR. If you knew how many customers I have to deal with that switch from Dish, to only find out they have DVR in only 1 location. Not to mention the ones that think they get it on every TV not knowing that the most you get FREE is on 2, after that it cost a 100 per.
Do they say it is only free on two though? Or any number at all? And thats 100 per each box that you add as an upfront cost. Not for the service. Just to be clear.

It probably should be clarified as mrv. I wont argue with that.
I will say that it works well, and it has no competition in the dbs world. For now.

Edit:. I have two HRs. and can share playlists between them. Could you not share it between more than two? I understood that you could.

I always wondered why they decided to call it WH DVR, MRV would have been much better. :)

I can agree with the article. When I bought a house I first wanted to go with Dish Network, but to get HD in our area the Dish needed to point to Eastern Arc. Well just my luck that the whole eastern arc direction is obstructed by trees. So having Cable all my life and moving outside of a Comcast area (which was great after they upgraded btw), I decided why not give DirecTV a shot. After all, they recently launched a new Satellite right? They should be sitting pretty to add more HD. Even though when comparing the channel lineups online (which is why I wanted Dish first), DirecTV didn't have E!, Style, AMC, TruTV and BBCAmerica in HD, I figured what the heck, DirecTV is a big name company, they just launched D12 and I though sure enough those channels would eventually be on their way.

However that is not the case. What happened to DirecTV's direction? Are they just focusing on 3D and PPV? I understand they want to give 3D a shot. If no one gave HDTV a shot when it was just born, would we even be having these discussions today? But just browsing the multi page threads on other sites, and the countless facebook and twitter comments - it's obvious that many people are not happy with DirecTV's HD channel lineup. Sure for many people it's great, but it certainly has room for improvement.

As far as the HD Quality, I have ClearQAM cable to compare basic HD networks like my local affiliates. The MPEG2 cable HD feed is much sharper and looks different. Actually it's so sharp you can see the film like grain in the picture. DirecTV's HD on the same channel is much softer. It's just different, and the image has to be your personal preference. I prefer the sharper MPEG2 picture on cable vs the smoother MPEG4 picture on D*. I certainly see how some may not - a smooth picture without the grainyness can appeal in certain situations. But in my eyes D*'s HD seems tampered with. Possibly some detail is lost in the conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4. I'm all for saving bandwidth, so I understand - but picture quality is objective, and you will only notice this if you have 2 providers that you can quickly switch back and forth to view. If you don't, chance is you will never be able to tell.

As far as pointing the dish in a certain spot, yeah that does suck. Like I said, I wanted Dish Network, but couldn't get LoS, so that leads me to HD-Starved (slower but nicer looking GUI) DirecTV. Sadly I don't think they will ever be able to do what SiriusXM can do with silver dollar sized antennas that just have to look up. If so, whoever designs that system deserves a Nobel prize.

So I can agree with the article. The lack of HD is a HUGE turnoff for me. But now I'm locked in a contract. Sure I could break it and be penalized with a heavy ETF... but I have more important things to spend my hard earned money on than burning it on DirecTV's fines. Our local cable co is a mom and pop shop, and they just started adding a load of HD. They are also doing the digital adapter thing just like Comcast did when I had them. With all that bandwidth available, they are adding stuff like BBC America and Fox Movies in HD. Heck, they even have bandwidth to spare on the junk channels in HD like both CSPAN's, QVC, HSN, TBN, Reelz... stuff I woudn't even need. Just the point is when these cable providers finish their upgrades, DirecTV has to watch out. Cable also has watch instantly VOD. None of this download to a playlist B.S. If I could make a single click on a title and it simply streamed like Cable or Netflix, I would be happy. I don't think the wife even uses the download on demand because it's just too cumbersome compared to the Comcast VOD we used to have at our last residence. We have a 10mbps connection through the local cable company. You think that would be enough. As soon as I can get out legitimately, I'm gone... because DirecTV doesn't' deserve my money at the pace they are going now. Oh and where is the HD User Interface for the HR24's? Even cheap Blue Ray players have an HD GUI. Not to say it's required for operation, but hey it's 2011, lets get with the program. At least the text would be sharper and it would give that extra pop that attracts people, just like people are attracted to stuff like Apple products, or certain phones, etc... The UI completes the package.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts