10' Unimesh value?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dunnsept

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Central Meechigan
I've been posting ads on Craigslist etc looking for BUDs & primestars. There's a guy with a 10' Unimesh, actuator, feedhorn etc who wants $100 or "make an offer"

are the unimesh's worth it? The guy's maybe 45 miles away, claims that the dish is in great shape and was in use up until 2 years ago.

I guess my question is: should I hold out for a solid, or are the unimesh dishes good performers worth say $50 and an afternoon?

Most of the dishes I have seen locally are mainly free as long as you remove from premises. If this person is charging you 100 bones for that Unimesh and still have to remove and take apart, then its not worth that much.

well, it also says "or make offer" so if it sits long enough, the price might drop more and more.. if it were a stellar dish, then I'd offer him something.. $25 or up to $50 or something.. but only if it's a super duper performing dish

If it's in good condition, has good actuator/feed/LNB(s)/pole and still has good parabolic shape (string test it) it would be well worth $25-$50 to me.

Unimesh is a well made dish, they appear to be a little heavier-built than some of the typical mesh dishes that I have seen.

You can wait (forever?) for a "better" deal, or you can pull the trigger, put up a dish and start watching some tv. ;)

Is it just the Dish, or is the Feedhorn and LNBs included?
When I bought my Unimesh, I paid $250, but it included a working 4DTV 920, HDD200, and good C and Ku LNBs on a CoRotor II feed. I sold the parts off for a nice profit, only keeping the Dish & Arm. :)

It's a complete 10' dish, pole, feedhorn/LNB, support arms, what appears to be a 36" actuator. no receiver though. guy wrote me and said that was really easy to sell on ebay (must have been a 4dtv).
when I asked him about the actuator, he said that he measured the "thing" on the back of the dish at about 46 inches,

I guess what I really am asking is, compared to a 9.5' unknown with "ok" Ku performance, and a 7.5' perfect 10 which is in the barn, would a 10' unimesh be worth going after if I could get it for $25 to $50? do you guys think its performance (especially Ku) would be better than the perfect 10? I know what my current dish is like, and Ku works on most sats, but isnt stellar. that and the pole moves and needs to be redone

Attachments

• unimesh.jpg
    unimesh.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 220
I installed many 10' Unimesh dishes and had excellent results with both C and Ku. The main thing is that it still has a good parabolic shape. It should definitely outperform the 7.5' if it's in good shape.

I've had my 12 ft Unimesh since 89 IMHO it is a very good dish well built too been in 90 mph winds and stayed solid as a rock.

String Test

What is the "string test"?

If it's in good condition, has good actuator/feed/LNB(s)/pole and still has good parabolic shape (string test it) it would be well worth $25-$50 to me.

Unimesh is a well made dish, they appear to be a little heavier-built than some of the typical mesh dishes that I have seen.

You can wait (forever?) for a "better" deal, or you can pull the trigger, put up a dish and start watching some tv. ;)

The string test is done by running a string tightly across the diameter of the dish from rim to rim, then running another string perpendicular to that string. If the shape of the dish is true, the strings should touch a the intersection while remaining straight.

I just sold a 10' Unimesh dish with actuator, feedhorn , LNB for $200.00 on CL.

There is big market for large c/ku dishes in South America.

I'm sorry if this is off the track of the conversation but does anyone have Unimesh manuals for the 8' - 12' dishes Or know a link where I can find them? I recently got one hand-me-down from a neighbor and would like to find some doc's on it and other dishes I've gotten over the years. Thanks!

There is a free 10 ft Unimesh available on the north side of Holland, Mi. I looked at it this morning, it was advertised as a 6 footer.
Good condition, polar mount, actuator ( can't really say about the actuator condition ) . If you're interested , PM me and I'll give you the name of the guy who wants rid of it and his phone. He replied to my ad on Craigslist. [ It's no job for just one man, but if anybody is in the area, I can give you a hand ]
:)

Stuff like used C band dish values tend to follow whatever the market will bear, think Regan's supplied side economics.......lol
What's available, the public market value, how hungry you are for it, etc. That can vary from 'get it out of my yard' to someone trying to recoup as much as they can from the 3 grand investment they made 10-15 years ago.
I've paid cash for 3 dishes. One a BV solid, the other two were eldery/widowed that really needed the money. $25 for a 7'5' Unimesh, jack, feed, and pole and the rx if she could find what her (deceased) husband did with it. (She never found it.) The other was an 8.5' solid spun aluminum, (LNA feed) with a heavy duty jack and an old pre VCII rx and sat mover box. I gave 100 bucks for it, which is prolly close to the scrap value of the heavy assed thing, and the old timer didnt have to deal with taking it down to scrap it.
All the others were come get it, but that's here. If they arent that plentiful in your area then you may have to lay out some greenbacks. The 10' Uni is a well built dish, The two I have are old enough to have survived several 100 mph plus storms over the last 10-15 years or so, and they are in good shape. Except for the dish to ring brackets that rust out/off relatively easily in this area, they are in very good shape.
So the question becomes.......How hungry are you?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)