10' Winegard Pinnacle AJAK 180 declination?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I've been working on my 10' transplant and reading about the AJAK mover. I found out the Winegard uses preset bolt holes where it attaches to the AJAK 180 to set the declination. But I've read two different explanations of the holes as to what they are set at. Either 1.0 degree interval or .5 degree interval. The manual claims there to be a chart attached to the mounting ring. But it's long gone if there was one. SO anyone seen this information? Or have this dish? Anole?

Attachments

• AJAK 004.JPG
    AJAK 004.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 243
  • AJAK 002.JPG
    AJAK 002.JPG
    948.7 KB · Views: 257
Since you have the ring on the ground, simply try a pair of holes and measure the angle. I have a Pinnacle with an Ajak motor and that's what I did. You could also just calculate it. I vaguely recall the holes are drilled for 0.5 degree steps, which would allow you to set the declination within 0.25 degrees. That's plenty close.

I think Linuxman has that dish on an Ajak.
Though whether it came that way or he mated 'em in the field, I don't know.

From what I've observed, the AJAK motors were adapted to each dish brand.
Some were more custom-adapted than others.
(anyone with more info, please jump in. edit: thanks Pendragon, I see you beat me, too.)

It's pretty obvious from your pictures, how the declination works.
You just haven't shown all the pieces.
As for how many degrees per hole, you could easily check that with an inclinometer.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the 0.5° per hole, but is limited to a restricted range (not starting at zero)
Something like 4.5° to 6.5° would pretty much cover most of the contiguous United States.
That would be: 4.5°, 5°, 5.5°, 6°, 6.5°. - or five holes (which is just a guess)

If one degree steps, then...3.5° to 6.5 would go below Texas, and slightly into Canada.
So maybe: 3°, 4°, 5°, 6°, 7° - for the five steps (I might gamble on these numbers)

Birdview dishes had a fixed 5° (?) degrees of declination built into the mount at the factory.
If that wasn't good enough for you at your location, your installer shimmed it with some washers to bring it up or down a little.

The one manual I read said 4°~8° . if so, the dish was set at 6° in the center hole. It was located at 45.4° latitude. Using the modified declination chart the declination from the old location to the new location would change 0.10° and probably not enough to make a change in the hole selected. Provided the dish was set correctly to start with. I think Pendragon is right and I will measure this for grins and giggles. I have a digital level and would be easy to do. I hope I can dial this dish in. If not I'll always be thinking I need finer adjustments here. But first I got to put it 15 feet up.

I measured the angles today and they were as the one manual I read said. 4,5,6,7,8 degrees "suitable for latitudes 20°~60°"

Attachments

• pole 011.JPG
    pole 011.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 242
I know you were bitching about how the original installer beat it into submission.
But now that you see what ya got, isn't it a work of art?
Beautiful dish, motor, and mount!
Nice paint job on your part, too! ;)

I have nothing to say about putting up a big dish 'n motor on a free-standing pole.
Well, just one: can you tie the top of the pole to the building?
But going 4½ inch OD can only be a good thing! :)
Gonna give that pole the treatment, too? (paint job)

The pole will be anchored to the house, lag bolted to the end of four rafters. There will be two yards of concrete stuck to the bottom of the pole and the pole will be filled with concrete. I took a die grinder and roloc disk to the iron parts and rubbed off a majority of the rust from the AJAK and mount ring. I threw on some black primer I had on the shelf on the ring. Not painted yet. I'm thinking Satin Black for this dish. The motor and ring maybe semi-gloss black. The plastic motor cover is a little warped on the edges so I'm adding fastners around the seam, J nuts and screws. I'm buying primer and paint tomorrow. The pole will be bright pink

Recently acquired a 10' Pinnacle, tho not with the Ajak mount.
Here's a pic of the Winegard decal which may be of interest.

Attachments

• Winegard Elevation Decal.JPG
    Winegard Elevation Decal.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 240
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts