Please reply by conversation.

Robel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
http://www.tvpredictions.com/dchannels032907.htm

News
DIRECTV: 100 HD Channels Will Include Sunday Ticket
The satcaster says it has 70 standalone HD networks under contract.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (March 29, 2007) -- DIRECTV says its upcoming lineup of 100 High-Definition channels will include feeds from sports packages such as the NFL Sunday Ticket.

That's according to an article by Multichannel News.

DIRECTV has said it will offer 100 national HDTV channels by year's end. Multichannel News reports that DIRECTV CFO Michael Palkovic says the satcaster has 70 high-def channels under contract.

The company has announced deals with several HD channels yet-to-be launched, including CNN, USA Network, Sci-Fi Channel, the Cartoon Network and The Weather Channel.

But Palkovic added that the 100-channel lineup will include feeds from Sunday Ticket, MLB's Extra Innings and other sports packages. In 2008, DIRECTV is planning to show most (if not all) of the games available in pay packages in high-def.

Tom Brady's game could be considered a HD channel.

For example, Palkovic said the Sunday Ticket, which offers 13 different NFL games each week, would count as 13 HD channels.

“That’s the way you would count that,” Palkovic told Multichannel News.

He said that about 70 or 80 channels would be 24/7, year-round high-def channels.

Palkovic also discounted speculation that DIRECTV would add the 15-channel high-def lineup from Voom.

“First of all, there are no Voom channels, there is nothing like that that people would consider not really quality channels,” Palkovic said. “We’re talking USA, Sci Fi, some of the Turner networks, The Weather Channel, mainstream programming that’s been around for a long time that’s going to make the leap to HD.”

Not surprised in the least. Directv fanboys will say they didn't lie, and technically perhaps they didn't. But it's just another case of directv at least, being misleading.

Does TVPredictions ever post news or they report the news of other news outlets and repackage it? This is not even news to those that follow D*. Oh well, all hinges on D10 & D11, hopefully those launches go well.

...Palkovic also discounted speculation that DIRECTV would add the 15-channel high-def lineup from Voom.

“First of all, there are no Voom channels, there is nothing like that that people would consider not really quality channels,” Palkovic said. “We’re talking USA, Sci Fi, some of the Turner networks, The Weather Channel, mainstream programming that’s been around for a long time that’s going to make the leap to HD.”
His definition of quality is USA, SciFi, and the Weather Channel? :eek: Guess he's never seen World Cinema, Equator, GalleryHD...

His definition of quality is USA, SciFi, and the Weather Channel? :eek: Guess he's never seen World Cinema, Equator, GalleryHD...

I have, my next door neighbor has VOOM. But truth is - not many people in the big scheme of things seem to really care about VOOM. In fact, if DISH didn't have to agree to a programming committment in order to purchase RAINBOW1 - my bet is not even DISH would have those channels on the air. Even CABLEVISON - which owns VOOM programming does not have EVEN 1 VOOM channel on its systems.

But for those that like it - enjoy. I think most would agree that USA, or SciFI will draw larger total viewership when offered.

I have, my next door neighbor has VOOM. But truth is - not many people in the big scheme of things seem to really care about VOOM. In fact, if DISH didn't have to agree to a programming committment in order to purchase RAINBOW1 - m bet is not even DISH would have those channels on the air. Even CABLEVISON - which owns VOOM programming does not have EVEN 1 VOOM channel on its systems.

But for those that like it - enjoy. I think most would agree that USA, or SciFI will draw larger total viewership when offered.
Do you have that saved in a file so you can paste it in as required?

Anyway, I was laughing at his idea of "quality" TV.

Do you have that saved in a file so you can paste it in as required?

Anyway, I was laughing at his idea of "quality" TV.

No - I type it everytime. Listen, I'm just as tired of the same old repetitive stuff as you are.

Frankly, I have posted quite a few times, that as right now I have about 200 channels and only really care about maybe a total of 10 (high estimate), it really don't matter to me if I have 70, 80, 100 HD channels.

I get a kick out of this though, I must say. Give me the HD lils, my RSN's in HD, and ESPN HD, and I would buy just that a la carte if I could. And hopefully it wouldn't cost me as much every month either.

Finorik :p

If DirectTV really delivers on these 100 HD channels, I'll be switching my Sat antenna on the roof for theirs. I have VOOM, I can't even say I watch them rarely,
that would be an over statement.

I could care less what the number is. Even "just" 70 full time national HD channels is triple what anybody else has. Bring it on!

Here is a list of the channels my wife and I'd like to see in high-definition on DirecTV someday (channels prepended with an '*' are my wife's choices - hey my job is to keep her happy too):

Code:
 ABC
 CBS
 CW
 FOX
 NBC
 PBS
 TV One
 SciFi Channel
 Chiller Channel
 An NBC/Universal created Martial Arts television/movie fiction channel
 Universal HD
 HD Net
 HD Net Movies
 Discovery Channel
 TLC
 Animal Planet
 Travel Channel
 Discovery Times
 BBC America
 The Science Channel
 Military Channel
 Discovery HD Theater
 National Geographic
*BET
*BET Jazz
 Comedy Central
 Nick at Nite
 TVLand
 Spike TV
 VH1
 VH1 Classic
 A classic MTV rock video channel
 FX
 USA
 TNT
 TBS
*ION
 G4
 NASA
*Game Show Network
 Cartoon Network
 Boomerang
*History Channel
*History Channel International
*A & E
*A & E Biography
*Bravo
*Ovation
*Sleuth
 Superstation WGN
*ABC Family
*Hallmark Channel
*Oxygen
*Lifetime
*Women's Entertainment
*Disney
*Disney Toon Channel
*EWTN
 CNN
*Court TV
 FOX News
 MSNBC
 TWC
 AMC
 FOX Movie Channel
 IFC
 TCM
 FLIX
 Sundance
*Lifetime Movie
 HBO
 HBO2
 HBO Signature
 HBO Family
 HBO Comedy
 HBO Zone
 CineMAX
 MoreMAX
 ActionMAX
 ThrillerMAX
 5StarMAX
 OuterMAX
 @MAX
*Women's MAX
 ShowTime
 ShowTime Too
 ShowTime Showcase
 ShowTime Extreme
 Showtime Beyond
 ShowTime Next
*ShowTime Women
 ShowTime Family Zone
 The Movie Channel
 The Movie Channel Xtra
 Encore
 Encore Love
 Encore Westerns
 Encore Mystery
 Encore Drama
 Encore Action
*Encore WAM!
 Starz
 Starz Edge
 Starz Kids and Family
 Starz Cinema
 Starz InBlack

Other than all of that - I don't care.

106 channels total
24 channels chosen by my wife
82 channels chosen by either myself (or with help from the wife)

These are all channels that have programming that we record and watch from time to time. Realistically, I think I'm waiting for DirecTV 12 and DirecTV 14 to get launched before I see this complete list available in high-definition on DirecTV and more likely DirecTV 24 and DirecTV 25 before all of these are provided in 1920x1080p. I'll be long dead and buried by then and I'm 43 and healthy right now.

As far as my wife and I are concerned though, the sooner DirecTV loses the SD channels in favor of HD replacements the better.

My personal HD survival list might look like this:

Code:
 ABC
 CBS
 CW
 FOX
 NBC
 PBS
 TV One
 SciFi Channel
 Chiller Channel
 An NBC/Universal created Martial Arts television/movie fiction channel
 Universal HD
 HD Net
 HD Net Movies
 Discovery Channel
 TLC
 Animal Planet
 Travel Channel
 Discovery Times
 BBC America
 The Science Channel
 Military Channel
 Discovery HD Theater
 National Geographic
 Spike TV
 VH1 Classic
 A classic MTV rock video channel
 FX
 USA
 TNT
 TBS
 AMC
 FOX Movie Channel
 IFC
 TCM
 FLIX
 Sundance
 HBO
 HBO Comedy
 CineMAX
 ActionMAX
 ThrillerMAX
 OuterMAX
 ShowTime
 ShowTime Extreme
 Showtime Beyond
 The Movie Channel
 Encore
 Encore Westerns
 Encore Action
 Starz
 Starz Edge
 Starz Cinema

52 channels total

My HD Requirements are quite simple and most are currently being fulfilled. But here is what I really really want to see.

All sports in HD. That means MLB, NFL, NHL, MLS, NBA, Nascar, poker, tiddly winks, go cart racing, etc. I think the focus is there and its just a matter of time and also up to the providers like CBS. It gets better every month.

Starz and a few other movie channels.
Sci-Fi
Comedy Central
History Channel and a few flavors of it
National Geographic
BBC America
More HD movies on demand

The rest is just gravy. So even if I see 50 by the end of the year including Sunday Ticket, hooray!! I dont have time to add more than 4-5 hours per week to my viewing. Heck it might not even be that. Some existing HD things might have to go. Comedy Central is about the only SD channel I watch anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)