100% local coverage

Thats the confusing part to me? On the "D" website it says that Dothan gets there NBC from WNBC..... that would be NYC.

As we know there is no local NBC for Dothan, there SV local would be WJHG from Panama City, and thats only SV for some of the counties in the Dothan DMA.

Actually it just says "NBC" and doesnt list a call sign...but
Since D* does not provide ANY of the locals from Panama City and Dothan qualifies for a out of market NBC D* gives them WNBC. There is no Sig Viewed rule in this case. The whole DMA qualifies for SOME TYPE OF NBC channel.....where it comes from is up to D*
They can either import a neighboring one or just give them NBC from NY or LA depending on time zone

So "D" somehow gets to provide WNBC to the whole DMA, and doesn't have to bother with the whole SV and Court issue...... thats the confusing part....."D" can provide WNBC...... and "E" cannot?

see post 58 for the reasoning....
http://www.satelliteguys.us/2236447-post58.html

Since D* does not provide ANY of the locals from Panama City and Dothan qualifies for a out of market NBC D* gives them WNBC. There is no Sig Viewed rule in this case. The whole DMA qualifies for SOME TYPE OF NBC channel.....where it comes from is up to D*
They can either import a neighboring one or just give them NBC from NY or LA depending on time zone

see post 58 for the reasoning....
SatelliteGuys.US - View Single Post - 100% local coverage

Got it!..... "D" has no Panama City locals.......... duhhhhhhh..... thanks!

Stu

no problem. It is very rare they use the national feed but what would happen is if they get Panama City up then D* would drop WNBC and give the market the PC NBC

But then again they use 12 as the number which is the Montgomery NBC #.....so that dont make sense....

edit 2: Montgomery is not on D* either...but it looks like October they will in HD...so they would replace NBC with the Montgomery NBC

Actually, DirecTV has just worked out a deal in several other markets to begin offering selected NY/LA stations (to subscribers who add local channels) until they are able to provide locals. For instance, in Lake Charles they are providing WCBS, WABC, CW East, and PBS national feed until they launch HD locals there next year. At that point in time, they may switch those feeds for something closer to home.

In most cases, they are simply filling a short market with a network that doesn't exist there. But in some cases, the local station has apparently agreed to allow distant networks until they launch on DirecTV. These are all markets that will be launching over the next year.

More info here.

i had a phone conversation with m pollock wafa channel 12 this morning about dish adding wghg out of panama city for our nbc local here in dothan .They are checking to see if dish can get by with this.Pollock is the general manager for channel 12.

i cancel my service with dish this morning and it take effect monday morning.the ladie was sweet and i was not on a contract so they be mailing two boxes to send the receivers back .she told me to keep the outside dish or do what ever i want to do with it.they owe me $100.00 when they get the receivers they would mail it to me .Direc will be here to install their equipments monday.I left on good term with dish.

i had a phone conversation with m pollock wafa channel 12 this morning about dish adding wghg out of panama city for our nbc local here in dothan .They are checking to see if dish can get by with this.Pollock is the general manager for channel 12.

It has nothing to do with "IF" Dish can do it. Its "when" the FCC allows them too. Big difference

no...If the locals arent playing nice you're (to be blunt) screwed. They cant override the existing local in the area

Larry55 is mad because in his market there is no NBC. The neighboring market (Panama City, FL) has no CBS. Both are owned by the same company and they "swap" stations so Dothan gets PC NBC and PC gets Dothan CBS.

The issue with why Dish doesnt have it yet is because any market that had locals before Jan 1 this year on Dish falls under different rules right now with the FCC. They're considered distants in some of the market. DISH CANNOT SELL DISTANTS PERIOD...
no "maybe"
no "kinda"

NO.....the whole market has to be considered SV for Dish to carry it. markets added after 1/1 they can due to STELA. Dish is working with the FCC to be able to provide the rest of the imported stations but as of right now they can't

no...If the locals arent playing nice you're (to be blunt) screwed. They cant override the existing local in the area

Larry55 is mad because in his market there is no NBC. The neighboring market (Panama City, FL) has no CBS. Both are owned by the same company and they "swap" stations so Dothan gets PC NBC and PC gets Dothan CBS.

The issue with why Dish doesnt have it yet is because any market that had locals before Jan 1 this year on Dish falls under different rules right now with the FCC. They're considered distants in some of the market. DISH CANNOT SELL DISTANTS PERIOD...
no "maybe"
no "kinda"

NO.....the whole market has to be considered SV for Dish to carry it. markets added after 1/1 they can due to STELA. Dish is working with the FCC to be able to provide the rest of the imported stations but as of right now they can't

ok, thanks for that explanation. i was almost ready to dance a jig, now im gonna go sulk more. at this rate i'll never be able to move home and get an eastern arc dish

in the case of Salisbury the only one to blame is the station IMO. They want to be on satellite so bad and even posted their letter to Directv on their website.

Now they can get on Dish and dont want to agree to be on there? I mean come on...there are smaller DMA's that are on Dish. I guess they think they're better than small locals like KEYC Mankato, MN KNOP North Platte Nebraska and KXGN Glendive Montana to give examples. All have subchannels (KNOP & KEYC have Fox, KXGN has NBC) and they agreed

Sounds like Salisbury is the kid who whines because "he wants to play too" then when we let them, they whine they want to be pitcher and when the team says no they sit on the sidelines and continue to whine :)

thats because it not local, its from hagerstown.

and i spent @ 30 minutes last night in an online chat trying to get the rep to say there were no locals and dish was lying, but he couldnt. he skirted the issue very well

oh and i filed a complaint with the ftc over false advertising :)
that and several calles to the dish corp office, ect ect
the recpetion actually rememberd me the last time i called :)

I complained to the Better Business Bureau about Dish charging us for Salisbury locals but not providing any of them. I got a phone call today about it and am getting credited back the $5.99 that Dish charges for locals for the next 12 months. Perhaps you can try going this route. The rep from Dish that contacted me said she understands that everyone in the Salisbury DMA has this issue and if she could get us the channels then she would, but the negotiations are not going well with the stations. At least this way, I am not out anything (as far as money goes) for the next year. Hopefully by then, we will have locals in our area

One would have to questioned the reasoning of these owners who are holding out. Are they the number one market area within this country and deserve a bigger slice of the pie? When you're from Podunk (Salisbury) who really cares if you receive by satellite when at least 90% of customers in your market area can receive your signal OTA for free. I rather cut off by nose to despite my face logic

One would have to questioned the reasoning of these owners who are holding out. Are they the number one market area within this country and deserve a bigger slice of the pie? When you're from Podunk (Salisbury) who really cares if you receive by satellite when at least 90% of customers in your market area can receive your signal OTA for free. I rather cut off by nose to despite my face logic

The open letter to D* was insightful as to how messed up a certain general manager seems to be.

but if people have a sat, why would they want to deal woth ota?
you dont get program data and stuff. dvr'ing is harder.

i very seldom watch them at all. and wont until they get onboard

but if people have a sat, why would they want to deal woth ota?
you dont get program data and stuff. dvr'ing is harder.

i very seldom watch them at all. and wont until they get onboard

1. 'Cause the OTA picture quality is often better than the sat signal.
2. 'Cause the ViP DVR tuners record OTA just fine and at broadcast resolution.
3. 'Cause recording a local via sat takes up a sat tuner while recording a local OTA uses up an OTA tuner leaving 2 sat tuners for other recording.
4. 'Cause you get guide data on your receiver for the locals if you sub to locals.

1. 'Cause the OTA picture quality is often better than the sat signal.
2. 'Cause the ViP DVR tuners record OTA just fine and at broadcast resolution.
3. 'Cause recording a local via sat takes up a sat tuner while recording a local OTA uses up an OTA tuner leaving 2 sat tuners for other recording.
4. 'Cause you get guide data on your receiver for the locals if you sub to locals.

1. i agree
2. agreed
3. ok, like the idea
4. WE CANNOT GET LOCALS!!!!! THAT IS THE POINT

Salisbury HD locals are coming to DirecTV in October. It will be interesting to see if they have a deal worked out.

can you give us a link our source of that info?

i checkec with D* last week and they had no idea about locals in salisbury

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)