100' Long HDMI?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Building

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I see monoprice sells 100' long HDMI cable. Have any of you used this length before? I seem to recall people saying there was a limit to the length you could use. Also, does the HDMI port on the VIP622 pass audio as well as video?

I see monoprice sells 100' long HDMI cable. Have any of you used this length before? I seem to recall people saying there was a limit to the length you could use. Also, does the HDMI port on the VIP622 pass audio as well as video?
It might work. What will work is putting the receiver much closer and running a longer RG6 feed. At 100', you may have to concern yourself with remote control issues.

The theoretical length limit to an unbuffered HDMI cable is five meters.

Just 1 question? Why would one Need 100' HDMI? Not being a smart ass ,Just wondering.

You can use HDMI splitters and extenders to run multiple displays from one receiver. In my case... my wife didn't want satellite receiver and all of the cables going to it cluttering up the clean look of the flat panel screen mounted on the wall. I use the HDMI extenders together with infrared extenders and located all of my satellite receivers in my basement. The extenders I used use the CAT5 wiring the I installed when I had my house built. I have an IR HDMI switch that switches between the satellite receiver, a PC, and a DVD player. All of the equipment is located in my basement. I used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on the PC. It doesn't matter how much noise the HTPC makes when it's not located in the same room:).

Most companies only get their 6 foot cables certified by the HDMI standard. I don't know of any that have a "certified" HDMI that long. They are available but you will have to rely on user opinion as opposed to any standardizations.

I have used a 100' HDMI cable and it works just fine. My Dad wanted his Pioneer Elite on the wall with no cables showing. So I ran the HDMI cable into the wall, down into the basement, to the other side of the room (where his receiver is) and back up through the other wall to the back of the receiver. I set it up like that almost 2 years ago and he has never had any problems with it at all.

I've also done a very similar setup for a friend with a 75' run about 1 year ago - again, no problems at all.

I didn't use an extender on either of them.

Just 1 question? Why would one Need 100' HDMI? Not being a smart ass ,Just wondering.

I'm trying to set up a second HDTV for my Sister-in-laws basement. The only way I can make it down there is up to the attic and then down to the basement. I did similar with my own house, but I made the 100' run with Component.

I have used a 100' HDMI cable and it works just fine. My Dad wanted his Pioneer Elite on the wall with no cables showing. So I ran the HDMI cable into the wall, down into the basement, to the other side of the room (where his receiver is) and back up through the other wall to the back of the receiver. I set it up like that almost 2 years ago and he has never had any problems with it at all.

I've also done a very similar setup for a friend with a 75' run about 1 year ago - again, no problems at all.

I didn't use an extender on either of them.

Thanks. I thought someone here must of tried it.

my wife didn't want satellite receiver and all of the cables going to it cluttering up the clean look of the flat panel screen mounted on the wall.

There are strips available to hide those lines. Or you could try some creative wiring.

Obviously I'm not looking at your install and may have different tastes, but I'm just guessing a 100' run is probably not the best way to go.

No, strips are fine if it's the only choice but stuff like that still looks hokey. Put the equipment where you want and cable it from there, not vice versa.

100' HDMI can be done fine, although you'll probably need an extender. Or use component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)