100 National HD channels for DISH in 2008

Were did you come up with that number?
From the PowerPoint slides used at the Investor's Day and from the earlier earnings call. I can give you a slide number if you need it.

The number wasn't detailed directly. The number given was 41% of the subscriber base had an advanced receiver (HD and/or DVR). From that I derived that 59% do not.

Last edited:
You're still missing the point, which is usual for you. The point is that people spent hard dollars on E* hardware based on information provided by E*, so far nobody's purchased a HMC so they haven't purchased something then had promised functionality removed.
So this would be more like when D* put text in the HR20 manual saying that the receiver could record three live streams and it cannot? If we dive a little deeper, we recall that the R15 was supposed to get VOD a couple of years ago. Are these not widely desirable features?

Both companies suffered CSRs that were telling customers that their flagship HD DVR could be software upgraded to MPEG4. We know how to treat information from CSRs and big box salespeople, but that's another story. Both companies are guilty of promising interactive features on a number of their receivers (possibly including the 921) that never came to fruition.

I think the links to previews and reviews are neat, but you still haven't provided any evidence of DISH Network saying that DISHWire was coming to the 921. Everything you've provided has come from Scott and other Satguys members. I did some checking of my own on DISHWire and had to go back to September 2003 to find a press release from DISH Network regarding its inclusion in the 921.

DISH Network Expands High-Def Offerings; HD Leader Packages Four Channels, Prepares Rollout of Receivers | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET.com

Scott announced it dead a year or so later and explained that the port had been removed in later production models.

There's a pretty substantial difference between what individuals were told at trade shows and previews and what is advertised. DISH didn't advertise that you could plug in a USB keyboard into the 921, but it is a cool feature nonetheless.

From the PowerPoint slides used at the Investor's Day and from the earlier earnings call. I can give you a slide number if you need it.

The number wasn't detailed directly. The number given was 41% of the subscriber base had an advanced receiver (HD and/or DVR). From that I derived that 59% do not.
Post it ,Why would you think I wouldn't want it. I like to see stats and specs

So this would be more like when D* put text in the HR20 manual saying that the receiver could record three live streams and it cannot? If we dive a little deeper, we recall that the R15 was supposed to get VOD a couple of years ago. Are these not widely desirable features?

Both companies suffered CSRs that were telling customers that their flagship HD DVR could be software upgraded to MPEG4. We know how to treat information from CSRs and big box salespeople, but that's another story. Both companies are guilty of promising interactive features on a number of their receivers (possibly including the 921) that never came to fruition.

I think the links to previews and reviews are neat, but you still haven't provided any evidence of DISH Network saying that DISHWire was coming to the 921. Everything you've provided has come from Scott and other Satguys members. I did some checking of my own on DISHWire and had to go back to September 2003 to find a press release from DISH Network regarding its inclusion in the 921.

DISH Network Expands High-Def Offerings; HD Leader Packages Four Channels, Prepares Rollout of Receivers | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET.com

Scott announced it dead a year or so later and explained that the port had been removed in later production models.

There's a pretty substantial difference between what individuals were told at trade shows and previews and what is advertised. DISH didn't advertise that you could plug in a USB keyboard into the 921, but it is a cool feature nonetheless.

IIRC, the HR20's manual was just a mistake, if you looked at the outside of the HR20's box (and I have two very early in the cycle HR20-700's and their boxes) it says it can record two programs. If you want to be technical it can record three programs at once, two from DBS/ATSC and one additional one from DoD. As for the R15 getting DoD, it's been mentioned in their financial chats that the DVR Plus receivers would have DoD but DoD has never been an advertised feature of the R15 or mentioned in any of their manuals.

You want to be technical about links for my 921 statement, it has been 4 years and nothing's on the E* web site announcing it. But some more links to back up what I said:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ssions/6160-s-official-no-firewire-921-a.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...speaks-about-921-firewire-dishwire-ports.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...speaks-about-921-firewire-dishwire-ports.html

In the 2nd link even Scott calls them a lier about this. Scott did have a link to a PDF scan of the original spec sheet but that link doesn't work anymore. IN the 3rd link someone was asking E* about a recall of the 921's or offering a discount on the rumored 922 so that shows the box was shipped with the port there. The 921 was shipped with this hardware there to be enabled at a later date but E* found a hardware problem that prevented that from happening.

Now for technical links, please provide the links where DirecTV advertised DoD coming to the R15 or the HR20 advertised being able to record three programs at once?

I think we can both agree that CSR's are many times incorrect in the infomation provided to their customers. But that's different from a company selling something as a feature that will be coming, here's the hardware port on the back of the box and here's the D-VHS decks you can use with it, and then saying we can't make this work, never mind and we're not going to offer any compensation.

IIRC, the HR20's manual was just a mistake, if you looked at the outside of the HR20's box (and I have two very early in the cycle HR20-700's and their boxes) it says it can record two programs. If you want to be technical it can record three programs at once, two from DBS/ATSC and one additional one from DoD. As for the R15 getting DoD, it's been mentioned in their financial chats that the DVR Plus receivers would have DoD but DoD has never been an advertised feature of the R15 or mentioned in any of their manuals.

You want to be technical about links for my 921 statement, it has been 4 years and nothing's on the E* web site announcing it. But some more links to back up what I said:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ssions/6160-s-official-no-firewire-921-a.html

In the 2nd link even Scott calls them a lier about this. Scott did have a link to a PDF scan of the original spec sheet but that link doesn't work anymore. IN the 3rd link someone was asking E* about a recall of the 921's or offering a discount on the rumored 922 so that shows the box was shipped with the port there. The 921 was shipped with this hardware there to be enabled at a later date but E* found a hardware problem that prevented that from happening.

Now for technical links, please provide the links where DirecTV advertised DoD coming to the R15 or the HR20 advertised being able to record three programs at once?

I think we can both agree that CSR's are many times incorrect in the infomation provided to their customers. But that's different from a company selling something as a feature that will be coming, here's the hardware port on the back of the box and here's the D-VHS decks you can use with it, and then saying we can't make this work, never mind and we're not going to offer any compensation.
HA E* Compensation Never!! E* talks so much crap about what their going to do,and never do it., If BS was worth money Charlie would have had them Satellites in the sky long ago.
Harshness:
Since I've been a customer of E*the added 8 HD channels. And he's also taken away a number of channels,and put some in a Higher packages. Every BS Fee as gone Up ,PPV has gone up,VOOMs is nothing but same 10 repeats since last October,Their Protection and Upgrade plans are a joke, CSR's can't even recite the english alphabet, Charlie can't answer his own questions about his own company, Or even count, If he even knows what business he's in. Since September Directv has giving me 80 more HD channels,Lots of Free equipment,free programming Free DOD,CSR's that can recite the English alphabet. Has even put some excisting channels into lower packages, (Outdoor network) What break through does Dishnetwork have. Beside a price increase across the board. He Knew D* been in the process for years on increasing HD and interactive . And Charlie has done nothing untill Directv Launched the first 25 HD channels. He's answer back with 8 and the Crappiest VOD that ever excisted!

Post it ,Why would you think I wouldn't want it. I like to see stats and specs
From Seeking Alpha:
Patrick T. Doyle said:
In addition to the benefit we get from annual price increases, we’re continuing to see strong growth in HD and DVR equipment and service revenues. As we saw in the third quarter, we again added over 600,000 new HD and/or DVR subscribers, bringing our total advanced service penetration to over 40% compared to just under 30% a year ago.
Link: DIRECTV Q4 2007 Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

I can't point you to the PDF of the Investor's Day PowerPoint on the DIRECTV investor's page as that site isn't working at this time. Maybe later if I remember and you don't get there on your own.

Facts 1st.

E* talks so much crap about what their going to do,and never do it., If BS was worth money Charlie would have had them Satellites in the sky long ago.

1. D* stated for a couple yrs new HD & D* ppl had to wait. 2. Sats not launched has nothing to do with Charlie. E* had a sat ready to go but it has had to sit and wait months. Reason all launches were stopped after a rocket blew up. So in around a week the E* bird will be going up. It will be deployed and working a few weeks later. Then we will see the HD channel race start up again. Facts b4 mouth in motion tend to work better than ranting.

Dish now claims to already have 75 National HD channels and I count abouty 40.

That's why I left them last week...can't get a straight answer from anyone. Also pissed me off that I had to got to a 250 channel package just to get the V/S channel.

1. D* stated for a couple yrs new HD & D* ppl had to wait. 2. Sats not launched has nothing to do with Charlie. E* had a sat ready to go but it has had to sit and wait months. Reason all launches were stopped after a rocket blew up. So in around a week the E* bird will be going up. It will be deployed and working a few weeks later. Then we will see the HD channel race start up again. Facts b4 mouth in motion tend to work better than ranting.
He could have planned sooner. No one said the satellites delayed launch was his fault. But Directv has put up 3 going for 4 in the past 2-3 years. Whats Charlie done since then? Taking over VOOM was a satellite TV break through? You see how demanding Voom is? 2 Providers in the entire USA, Yea I'm sure all the other providers are kicking themselves in the a#$ for not having intrest in voom.:rolleyes: His intensions suck. Don't be surprised the day Directv buys Dishnetwork. Maybe then Voom would be good! I more month and I'm DONE!

Don't be surprised the day Directv buys Dishnetwork. Maybe then Voom would be good! I more month and I'm DONE!

LOL. Hemi. You have been talking to Swanni about the buyout deal haven't you??

Voom sux right now, not because it is on Dish. Do you really think that if Direct would get a hold of Voom that Voom would turn to gold?:rolleyes:

I have some swamp land in my backyard that I will sell you for a good price.:D

Voom sux because they "Rainbow Media" can not be added to cable subscribers. Voom is suing Dish because Dish subs might downgrade to lower HD package that does not include VOOM. VOOM needs more subs to survive. Dish and VOOM marriage is showing signs of stress. Dish wanted their satellite and their HD programming in the beginning. DISH is the leader in HD and will "soon" be the leader in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts