1000.2 + 61.5 Satellite Dish

kshaw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
I currently have a 500 Twin Dish plus a single dish receiving 61.5. In February, we upgraded to High Definition and had Dish install 2 VIP 612 receivers and we still use our old 501 DVR. The dishes are connected to a DPP33 switch. Since the changeover, there has been nothing but trouble with frequent lost signals requiring us to run the check switch followed by some kind of a download before the receivers work again. We normally get good signals on all the satellites and there are no trees or line of sight issues. Dish Network has visited 3 times to fix the problem without success. Everything works after they leave for about 2 days, then the problems start again. I believe that the problem may be switch related and am considering replacing the 500 twin dish with the 1000.2 dish and get rid of the DPP33. Because our local channels in HD are only on the 61.5 satellite (Washington DC locals), I would like to connect the old 61.5 dish to the 1000.2. Since the 129 satellite almost mirrors the 61.5, what will happen? Would I be able to receive the local HD channels?

Another question: I do not believe the original setup is connected to a ground block. Would this affect the signal, or is grounding just a safety issue?

Yes get rid of the switch and upgrade to 1000.2 sat dish + dish 500 for 61.5. I have that same setup and feeds upto 3 receivers. Works fine and Yes ground the sat dish for no problems.

This could cause you more problems for you. If you're in the northeast 129 is low in the sky and you'll have LOS and rain fade issues with it. You would be better off getting your existing system working correctly, it's a proven system that should give you solid performance. Adding a forth orbital to the system without additional programing is just adding more problems with no benefit.

A properly grounded system consists of a ground block on the incoming cables as well as a a ground wire to each dish, all bonded to the existing house ground. Grounding problems can cause loss of signal issues, but it's rare.

I currently have a 500 Twin Dish plus a single dish receiving 61.5. In February, we upgraded to High Definition and had Dish install 2 VIP 612 receivers and we still use our old 501 DVR. The dishes are connected to a DPP33 switch. Since the changeover, there has been nothing but trouble with frequent lost signals requiring us to run the check switch followed by some kind of a download before the receivers work again. We normally get good signals on all the satellites and there are no trees or line of sight issues. Dish Network has visited 3 times to fix the problem without success. Everything works after they leave for about 2 days, then the problems start again. I believe that the problem may be switch related and am considering replacing the 500 twin dish with the 1000.2 dish and get rid of the DPP33. Because our local channels in HD are only on the 61.5 satellite (Washington DC locals), I would like to connect the old 61.5 dish to the 1000.2. Since the 129 satellite almost mirrors the 61.5, what will happen? Would I be able to receive the local HD channels?

Another question: I do not believe the original setup is connected to a ground block. Would this affect the signal, or is grounding just a safety issue?

Very important question..... Does the twin dish have a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB or two single LNBs?

If it has a DPPTwin LNB then that's your problem. You cant have a DPP LNB and a DPP Switch. (The DPP Twin acts as a switch). Check that and get back to me.

Very important question..... Does the twin dish have a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB or two single LNBs?

If it has a DPPTwin LNB then that's your problem. You cant have a DPP LNB and a DPP Switch. (The DPP Twin acts as a switch). Check that and get back to me.

That's a good question and I do not really know. I initially purchased a 500 quad and dish replaced the quad with a twin and added a 64 switch when they added the 61.5 satellite dish. That was several years ago and we never really had a problem with this setup. The dishes are on top of the house and I am not able to see them without a ladder. Any way to determine from receiver displays?

Just go look at the 500 dish. If there are not two seperate LNB's each having one "eyeball", coming out of the Y bracket then you have the wrong LNB. Sometimes if you go to your checkswitch screen it will say twin in the device row and that also would tell you if you have the wrong setup. Switching to the 1000.2 would work, just cover the 129 orbital with a cut open soda can when you run the checkswitch and there won't be the problems that bross mentioned.

That's a good question and I do not really know. I initially purchased a 500 quad and dish replaced the quad with a twin and added a 64 switch when they added the 61.5 satellite dish. That was several years ago and we never really had a problem with this setup. The dishes are on top of the house and I am not able to see them without a ladder. Any way to determine from receiver displays?

Also if it does have a Twin, look at the front of it to see if its a Legacy, Dish pro or Dish Pro Plus.

Dish Pro Plus is the only one that wont work with a DPP 33 Switch.

DP Plus: Black label and it says "Dish Pro Plus" on the front.

DP: Also a black label but just says "Dish pro" (no plus)

Legacy: Usually gray and just says "Dish Network"

To check at Receiver: Go to Menu, then hit #6 then hit #1 then hit #1. You wanna go to the point dish screen. Go to check switch. You can find the LNB model there.

Or Menu: 6-1-3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)