1000.2 Alignment question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

traustic

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Texas
I was recently installed last week and have noticed some slight signal quality issues. Checking dish alignment I'm getting readings from 51 to 53 on sat 72 and 62 on sat 61.5.

Should I use 119 to realign and balance 110 and 129 with the skew for an improved signal? I just have to program my birddog with those sats. Which polarity is used on 110 119 and 129? Should I peak the dish to 61.5 and 72 instead?

Thanks

I think you are making things more complicated than they really are. First of all, you say you are on a 1000.2? So are you picking up 61.5/72.7 or are you picking up 110/119/129? You don't need both arcs. 51-53 on 72.7 and 62 on 61.5 is well within range of normal operation.

As for realigning and balancing 110/129 with 119 and skew, or whatever, the skew should be set to whatever dishpointer.com tells you. There is no need to tweak the skew after it is properly set. Elevation and azimuth can be tweaked in order to get the most out of each sat that you can. You may or may not have to compromise on one sat to bring the other sat up, and vice versa.

I was recently installed last week and have noticed some slight signal quality issues. Checking dish alignment I'm getting readings from 51 to 53 on sat 72 and 62 on sat 61.5.

Should I use 119 to realign and balance 110 and 129 with the skew for an improved signal? I just have to program my birddog with those sats. Which polarity is used on 110 119 and 129? Should I peak the dish to 61.5 and 72 instead?

Thanks

From your post, you are currently pointed at EA (61.5 and 72) and may not have 77 and are using the new 1000.2 dish. Unless you have a second dish setup, it would be impossible to point to WA sats (110, 119 and 129) using it. Your levels are slightly higher than mine on EA so you should be fine. But if you are having signal issues, there may be something in your line of sight or some other problem. If there are trees close to the dish, you may want to check for branches moving in and out of your LOS. If you think the problem may be with wiring, have a tech come back out. The visit should be free depending on how recently your were setup.

lol you guys are brutal... Yes east arc and west arc - just curious because all information on pointing a dish talks out 119 as the center point and 110 and 129 as the outer sats. Most posts mention signals as low as mid 70s up to mid 90s. Using the lower sats 61.5 and 72 I have not seen standard signal levels on those birds.

What was odd is Ive read posts on dish using 61.5 as a transitional satellite until new birds are set in orbit. Perhaps my issues could be from bad connectors on the rg6 line. LOS is no issue as I have a clear view.

I've seen the screen become garbled for a few seconds off and on but no weather issues in the area. Ive also had a weird out of synce audio issue (slight echo overlap) with ptat recordings but not on other recordings.

Thanks for the info garys. I didnt know you needed a second dish to hit the WA. I have no sat lock on 77. From what I understand hd content comes from 72 and sd content is from 61.5.

If 51-53 is excellent then it must be a connector issue.

Last edited:
traustic said:
lol you guys are brutal... Yes east arc and west arc - just curious because all information on pointing a dish talks out 119 as the center point and 110 and 129 as the outer sats. Most posts mention signals as low as mid 70s up to mid 90s. Using the lower sats 61.5 and 72 I have not seen standard signal levels on those birds.

What was odd is Ive read posts on dish using 61.5 as a transitional satellite until new birds are set in orbit. Perhaps my issues could be from bad connectors on the rg6 line. LOS is no issue as I have a clear view.

I've seen the screen become garbled for a few seconds off and on but no weather issues in the area. Ive also had a weird out of synce audio issue (slight echo overlap) with ptat recordings but not on other recordings.

Thanks for the info garys. I didnt know you needed a second dish to hit the WA. I have no sat lock on 77. From what I understand hd content comes from 72 and sd content is from 61.5.

If 51-53 is excellent then it must be a connector issue.

Again you are mixing things up and apparently reading old posts. It is true, 119 is the center sat for western arc however it appears to me that your dish is looking at eastern arc.

Yes, on 110/119 it is common to see signal levels in the 60-80 range however mid-90 is near-impossible even with the largest dish. The signal "strength" meter is not on a scale of 1-100, or even the 1-125 shown on the screen. It is sort of a hybrid between new and old signal quality measurements.

61.5/72.7/77/129 will always show "lower" signal strength versus 110/119 due to different (newer) modulation schemes. The actual signal strength is just as powerful even if the meter is showing lower e.g. 50-70 on those sats is the same as 60-90 on 110/119.

What garys is saying is that if you want to use sats from both arcs you will need a second dish. You can also just swap the EA LNB on the 1000.2 for a WA LNB and swing the dish toward the WA. It is pointless to pull in both arcs at the same time because they are mirrored.

You are correct in that 61.5 has all the SD content and 72.7 has all the HD content. 77 only has locals for select areas and Spanish language channels. If you are pointed at 61.5/72.7, have 50-60 signal strength, nothing in LOS, no need for Spanish channels, no locals available for you on 77 then you are good to go.

Keep in mind that depending on where you live, you may have local channels on both arcs, or just one arc. It is also common for one arc to only have HD locals and the other to only have SD locals. So if you are currently getting your HD locals (if available) then consider the fact that if you switch to WA you may be stuck with SD locals.

Long story short: Looks to me that your current setup is fine as-is.

As for occasional garbling, there is no guarantee that switching arcs will solve this issue, especially if what you are seeing is the usual "top and bottom of the hour glitches" that began with Hopper and now some older receivers exhibit after recent software updates. No idea if/when Dish will fix that.

As for sound sync, no idea what's going on with that, I'd have to personally see it to know, but personally I never have that issue and one thing I do know is that an issue such as that would have nothing to do with signal strength in 90% of cases.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts