1000.4 dish possibility?

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
For some time now I been eyeing a neighbor's tree on the side of his house. Actually it looked like a big weed to me as it was growing but now looks like a tree. Anyway, From where my Dish 500 dish is now I am lossing signal strength to almost half of what it use to be. I am in the Philadelphia DMA and have a Dish 500 dish and a dish on 61.5. What is the compromise to going with a 1000.4 dish? What do I lose and what is gained beside a one dish solution at a better angle for me?
I could put the Dish 500 up around the chimmy but I didn't want it exposed to the Front of the house. Or I can do midnight maintanance on the the neighbor's tree. Let' put it this way if it wasnt customary to cut grass they probably would have more things growing out of their back yard not just this weed tree.

Thoughts?

many thanks.

The 1000.4 signal strengths aren't as high as the 500/wing combo, but according to what I have heard weather fade doesn't seem to be any worse. Also ( and I assume you already know) all your receivers have to be MPG-4 compliant (IE HD).

Have you thought about just asking if you could trim a bit of his tree? You make no referance to your relationship with the neighbor but unless it is already a Neg I would say there is a good chance they would let you trim a bit of the "tree" for the correct reason. Sometimes just asking is the easiest solution that everone skips past.

Have you thought about just asking if you could trim a bit of his tree? You make no referance to your relationship with the neighbor but unless it is already a Neg I would say there is a good chance they would let you trim a bit of the "tree" for the correct reason. Sometimes just asking is the easiest solution that everone skips past.

Nothing negative with then (specifically) but I don't really talk to them on a regular basis either.

Which Sat(s) are you getting the weak signal or all of them?
All of them. The three birds the .4 looks at are older and lower power. Now my grapevine sorses say Echostar 3 (61.5*) is due to be replaced sometime in 2010, and that bird will be moved over to the Echostar 4 (77*) orbital location. But who knows what will actually happen.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't catch that the question was directed toward the OP. :D

Then you probably need to get a 1000.4 dish and be all EA.

So from the sound of it the services I get now on 61.5, 110, 119 would be equal to the 1000.4 then? I have a VIP 622 . Do you happen to know what the mast diameter is for that 1000.4 dish?
Thanks for your insight.

So from the sound of it the services I get now on 61.5, 110, 119 would be equal to the 1000.4 then?

True.

I have a VIP 622 . Do you happen to know what the mast diameter is for that 1000.4 dish?

I just measured an extra 1000.4 mast that I have sitting around and it is 1 5/8 inches OD. The 1000.4 comes with struts.

P.S. You'll love the look angles of the .4...the only drawback that I have, is that with the high look angle, the dish tends to collect a little bit more snow than a 500. It's fine until the snow starts to melt; it tends to slide to the bottom of the dish and degrade the signal. Time for the super-soaker. :)

True.

I just measured an extra 1000.4 mast that I have sitting around and it is 1 5/8 inches OD. The 1000.4 comes with struts.

P.S. You'll love the look angles of the .4...the only drawback that I have, is that with the high look angle, the dish tends to collect a little bit more snow than a 500. It's fine until the snow starts to melt; it tends to slide to the bottom of the dish and degrade the signal. Time for the super-soaker. :)

Oh well... I have a perfect spot if it was a 2 3/8 OD. I have to reconsider the whole thing now. I have a formal place of my old Starband dish that had dish network LNB's. I use to be setup for 101 110 and 119. That spot would not work well for 119 but in the direction of 61.5 it is perfect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts