1000.4 to 1000.5

lineman20109

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Reva, Va
I had an extra "plus" dish in the shed and figured I'd give the 1000.5 setup a try. So far I've seen signal on 61.5 go up a little and 10-15 point increases on 72 and 77. Makes me wonder just how far out of alignment my 1000.4 was! I have before and after readings if anyone is interested. And thank you to all for all the valuable info found here!!!

Attachments

• DSC00245.JPG
    DSC00245.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 376
I changed my .4 into a .5 last week. I didn't get a huge increase in SS, but I'm sure the larger reflector will be better overall, kinda like increasing the amps so to speak. All of my signals went up 3 or 4 points. Like you, I had a plus dish laying around and decided to give it a shot. :)

I had an extra "plus" dish in the shed and figured I'd give the 1000.5 setup a try. So far I've seen signal on 61.5 go up a little and 10-15 point increases on 72 and 77. Makes me wonder just how far out of alignment my 1000.4 was! I have before and after readings if anyone is interested. And thank you to all for all the valuable info found here!!!

You should see a big increase on 72.7... and it isn't because of your dish either. Nimiq5 took over half of the Echostar6 traffic yesterday.

You should see a big increase on 72.7... and it isn't because of your dish either. Nimiq5 took over half of the Echostar6 traffic yesterday.

I took the readings this morning before I changed the dish. The .4 must have been screwed up. The lowest reading on 72.7 is now 66 on tp15 and the highest is 75 on tps 17 and 21.

Dahenny, you are the reason I decided to try it! Thanks for the info in your previous posts earlier this year. The true test will be the rain coming tomorrow.

I believe the Plus dishes were designed to receive the Ku FSS at 118 along with other sats, so the dish is a bit larger in order to get a good signal from the lower powered Ku FSS AnikF3 at 118. Perhaps that is why your signals are a bit better.

So did you just change out the pan of the dish or did you use the entire plus dish with the arm and lnb holder? Or did the 1000.4 lnb fit on the arm of the plus Dish?

So did you just change out the pan of the dish or did you use the entire plus dish with the arm and lnb holder? Or did the 1000.4 lnb fit on the arm of the plus Dish?

I used the arm from a 1000.4 and put it on the plus dish. I think it is a bit shorter than the one that comes with the plus dish.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose, not having the correct focal length? I thought Dish was going to have a conversion kit avaible for the 500+ and 1000+ antennas,but have not seen it yet.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose, not having the correct focal length? I thought Dish was going to have a conversion kit available for the 500+ and 1000+ antennas,but have not seen it yet.

I think using the shorter arm is what gives it the correct focal length. Might be something to do with the separation between 72.7 and 77. Somebody else could give a better answer for that one...

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose, not having the correct focal length? I thought Dish was going to have a conversion kit avaible for the 500+ and 1000+ antennas,but have not seen it yet.

I don't think it's advertised heavily, but the conversion kit consists of the 1000.4 lnb arm and the 1000.4 lnb assembly.

Here's two snapshots of two separate E* pdf's :

10005.jpg 1000410005.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't you just change out the dish pan of the 1000.4 sat dish itself with the Dish plus pan? If the bolts are in the same spot, which they look like they are, it wouldn't be hard to do that.

In the boxes of junk I have, the lnbf arm is packed with the skew plate. And like you said, the bolt pattern is different between the two reflectors. The bottom holes line up, but the top ones are about an inch off. I suppose drilling the top two to accomodate the .4 skew plate wouldn't be too much of a chore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)