1000.4 west arc pointing problems- 119 received on 129

Makz06

Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Blairsville, ga
This is my first post and I'm looking for a little help.  I've tried to read through all the good info here haven't found an answer yet.  I'm trying to point a new 1000.4 Western arc Dish Network dish but continue to have problems.  I've received the strongest signal I can by covering the LNBs with foil on the left and right leaving only the center 119 open.  Got best signal tweaking azimuth and then elevation.  Set skew to 129.4 per dish pointer and elevation is about 35-36.  I am using the input on the far left which I believe is 119. 
After removing foil and using "check switch" I get signal strength of 85 on 119,  74 strength on 110, but 129 picks up the wrong satellite "119" with a strength of 84.   I have tried adjusting the azimuth about 5 and 10 degrees further east and then west but loose my signals doing that.  
I'll add that I have previously picked up 129 but it was a very weak signal that went in and out and prompted me starting over with the pointing process.  Since I am picking up 119 on 129 I assumed I direct the dish further West but like I said I get much worse or no signal.  BTW, the dish pointer display on tv shows 119 in first column, then 110, then "conn" in the 3rd column with an "X" below.  I'm in Blairsville, GA.
Thanks for any help/suggestions.

mast perfectly plumb
azimuth at 235.9
elevation 35.1
skew at 129.5

Unhook coax from receiver, run check switch and save, to completely clear the switch matrix, then reconnect to find 119, then run check switch.

P.S. make sure that you're using the 1000.2 settings, because dishpointer does not show a 1000.4 WA. Are you sure that your lnb is WA? WA = 3 evenly spaced lnb's, EA = 2 lnb's close together, with a third one off to itself.

Last edited:
Possibly a line of site issue? 129 is only about 27-28 degrees above the horizon from your location.

That could very well be it. There are definitely trees in that direction I was afraid could give me a problem. I've tried over and over tweaking the azimuth in one degree increments further west then back east and keep ending up back where I started. 129 just must have a tree in the way. Thanks for the help.

If your locals are Atlanta locals (at least that what Dish says) you could try to switch over to Eastern Arc and not lose any channels. SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Atlanta, GA
Just make sure you have the right LNB. Should look like the pic below.

Attachments

• 1000_4.jpg
    1000_4.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 157

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)