1000 show limit on 722 external hard drive

especially since everything gets repeated endlessly by all the networks/premium channel providers....I mean everyone has a bunch of favorite old movies and such, but 1000 of them???
Old movies, tv episodes, sporting events, documentaries, educational programs, etc etc etc. Yeah, over 1000 for me.

I just got bit by this stupid limitation on my VIP211k

It was refusing to record and was acting really crazy. I finally went in and looked at the DVR and saw there was 1000 files.

Once I started deleting files, everything returned to normal operation.

I have a 2tb disk in my EHD, I use one of those drive dock bay thingies where you can pop the disk out and pop a new one in.

In my opinion this limitation is STUPID. They do not support over 2tb disks, they do not support multiple disks and the 1,000 file limit is right smack out of the Microsoft playbook of yestercentury...

From what I have read, the OS in the tuner is Linux, the disk is formatted as EXT3 so I know it can support very large files. What is STUPID is that that obviously they are just saving all the files in the root directory rather than sub-directories which would eliminate the 1000 file limit problem.

I would lay green cash money on it that the tuner doesn't store series, IE all the episode of Mythbusters in a sub-directory, it stores them all in the root but will gather them into a virtual sub-directory strictly for visual effect when browsing the EHD to make it easier to locate things.

What a really pathetic design.....

Dish is still has their little brain stuck in 1995.....

And don't expect it to be fixed.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Another reason why a really, really big EHD is not needed, besides if it dies you lose everything.

Another reason why a really, really big EHD is not needed, besides if it dies you lose everything.

That is precisely what happened to me with a 2tb disk. I needed to take the STB out into the yard to tweak my dish so I went through the menu system and did the proper procedure to remove/eject the disk.
I did exactly what the onscreen prompts told me to do, I did exactly what I had done in the past with no problems. When I tried to reconnect it later, it was dead.
I tried putting the disk in 4 different computers and they did not even see that it exists. I lost a YEAR worth of recordings. I was not a happy camper.

I tried putting the disk in 4 different computers and they did not even see that it exists. I lost a YEAR worth of recordings. I was not a happy camper.
That's becuase Dish formats it Linux. Windows computers won't see it until you reformat it.

That's becuase Dish formats it Linux. Windows computers won't see it until you reformat it.

I don’t use windows.

I put it on three different Linux machines. In the past, out of curiosity, I put the drive on an Ubuntu computer and I could see files in the root directory but it appeared to be a proprietary encryption that I could not view. I had hoped to be able to download the recordings into a computer to keep permanently. I also have the ability to mount EXT 3/4 drives on my Mac in read only mode. My mac let me browse the drive when it was new, before it died. Afterward, no machine even recognized there was a disk connected.

I connected it directly to the motherboard of a computer and booted into the BIOS setup. It showed the other disks connected but not that one.
It’s dead for all intents and purposes. I replaced it with a 160gb (smallest I could find) and a PVR recorder.
Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 3.03.45 PM.png

Now I can not stockpile a lot of stuff in the Dish PVR and if it’s something I really, really want to keep I can capture it into my Mac with the external PVR.
Actually I can program the Hauppauge to turn on and record anything I want by schedule. I just have to program the Dish tuner to change to that channel ahead of time.

And since the Dish PVR is so small the ~mandatory~ daily disk check only take a few minutes. With the 2tb disk it would take TWO HOURS to go through the disk check.

If only 1000 recordings, how do I have a drive with 1464 episodes under 13 titles?
Some titles (near-current series) have over 200 shows 1/2 or 1 hour each.
One title has only 2 episodes but they are refusing to transfer off.
But that's true of lots of other episodes, small percentage, off the internal or external.
Most of the transfer stops are in the last 0 to 6 minutes of the recordings.
I'm usually up late and can stop the external disk checks to avoid the hour+ scan on 2TB drives.
What would it find and where would it report?
-Ken

Every device or DVR related has some database memory limit. I did not know about this limit so thanks for sharing. For what it is worth, TiVo has a notorious Thumbs up and Thumbs down data limit that if you rate with the thumbs too many times, your DVR will choke. Found this out the hard way, then learned fix is to erase all thumbs and all well. Now I never use the stupid thumbs.

Reactions: Dee_Ann

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)