105 aiming and the LNBF

rcarsey

Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
North Brunswick, NJ
I just hooked up the SD (type 1) today.

I connected up all the wires, I have a good signal for 110 (117) and 119 (88), but absolutely no signal for 105. I'd expect to see at least a really weak signal.

In the "Check Switch" menu, Port 2 and Port 3 come up with 110 and 119. But Port 1 says "N.C." (no connection) - does the FSS lnb need to have a signal before the receiver recognizes that theres a fss lnb connected?

Do I need to make some small aiming adjustments? or is there something wrong with my FSS lnbf?

Also, I noticed on the FSS LNBF that you can rotate the white plastic cap about 45 degrees and there are markings that say "1" and "2" -- whats that for?

I think you need to make some small adjustments, your 119 should not be that low of a signal with that high of a signal on 110. Also have you swapped ports on the switch to determine if the switch is bad? Third how old is the software on your receiver, I would first swap in ports and put the 119 on port 1, 110 on 2, and 105 on the third port. Still not there try bringing down the elevation a tad

Is your mast/pole plumb in all directions? If not it will be VERY hard to get a signal in on 105, 110, and 119. It has to be plumb to make your elevation and particularly your SKEW numbers true.

YES The FSS LNB must have signal before it will be read by the receiver. The FSS LNB is not like the other two, where the receiver will read them as connected, even when there is no signal.

You should normaly tune off of the 119 lnbf, peak it then connect the 105 lnbf to the meter ( that is if your using one ) and fine tune the dish further, all you should really have to do is give the dish a tiny tug to the left or east a bit and then maybe adjust the elevation. Without seeing what your lnbf cluster looks like I cant say exactly the best way to tune it but I know that this method works on the 121 type dish lnbf cluster for the midwest while the 105 type dish used in the gulf coast region is best tuned off the 105 fss lnbf as this lnbf sits dead center of the dish so to speak.

Very, very rarely have I ever had to peak on the 105 when tuning in a SD105. I will usually peak on the 119 and then double-check on the 110. If those 2 birds come in fine, then the 105 should fall in place. It all comes down the how plumb your pole (preferable) or mast is.

The signal for 110 is great, but 119 is a bit low, it should be at least in the high 90's if not low 100's. Check the skew and elevation for your zipcode, if the elevation is off your mast is not level.

webby you and I do this all the time, for the inexperienced its a good idea for them to first tune the 119 in peak signal and then do the same for the fss sat's because they wont have the same touch that an experienced technician will to find that sweet spot without even thinking about it. :)

Van's right! (Even tho I've never done a STupiDish :) ).

One other trick that's sometimes useful is to grab 119 & 110, then bypass the switch to shoot 105.

Remember, your final hookups to the DP34 should be 119, 110, 105 - in that order. Some will say it doesn't matter, and usually that's true, but sometimes it DOES, so having 119 on the "default" port (#1), is a good thing.

SimpleSimon said:
Remember, your final hookups to the DP34 should be 119, 110, 105 - in that order. Some will say it doesn't matter, and usually that's true, but sometimes it DOES, so having 119 on the "default" port (#1), is a good thing.

And that's even MORE important with the DP44 switch. I've actually seen channels go missing because the 119 wasn't hooked on the port 1.

update

i wanted to give an update. it turns out that i needed to fine tune it a little more. I eventually (after only 10 minutes of playing today) got the following strengths here in central NJ under heavily cloudy skies, no rain:
119: 115
110: 125
105: 55

I think I can get a little more out of the 105, but I'm not going to touch it unless I experience problems in average rain. I'm only using it for locals anyway.

Thanks for all the input, I was getting very discouraged. I feel really self concious when im outside messing around with a dish in my condo development. i feel like everyones looking at me and saying "god, another ugly dish" -- thank god for the FCC ruling concerning dishes and renters/condo associations.!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)