105 SuperDish Mounting Options

jdmcs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Charlottesville, VA
I am about to subscribe to DN because they have the Charlottesville, VA locals and because I am also going to subscribe to Sky Angel (assuming I have line-of-sight to 61.5).

I do know the Charlottesville locals come from the 105 location, and that I will need the SD105.

I live in an apartment, can install the satellite dish, but the mount may not penetrate the building in any way. I am on the 3rd floor, so mounting a pole in the ground is not an option. Oh, and I have ruled out trying to mount the dish on a pole in a bucket of cement.

In order to come up with a way to mount the dish, I need to see a few pictures of the standard mounting equipment that comes in the box (i.e. the mounting equipment that the installer can not charge extra for). I also need to know how long the screws are that hold this wall (?) mount in place.

I am going to use this information to build a bracket that will wrap around the column on the balcony. The dish's penetrating mount can then penetrate my bracket and not any of the apartment building.

The popular dish installation method for apartments is the dish-in-a-bucket method. Basically, you mount a pole in a bucket of concrete and mount the dish atop.

chaddux said:
Why won't the dish-in-a-bucket method work?

1. As windy as it can get in Charlottesville, I fear that the amount of cement that I could put in the bucket would not hold the dish upright.

2. I'm not sure if I can get line-of-sight from the dish-in-a-bucket. If I mount the dish on the column, then I know that I can get line-of-sight. If I use the bucket, I think I will be trying to point it through someone else's balcony.

3. I don't want to haul 50+ pounds of cement and other balast materials up two flights of stairs.

4. I have to be able to move the bucket off my balcony when I move out. Granted, that is at least a year away, but still I need to keep it in consideration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)