1080i vs 720p output

duke02

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
NC
As you can tell from my post count and previous posts - I'm new to Dish, having cmoe from DTV. Since I've been able to gather that the hopper doesn't offer a native resolution, is there any consensus as to which setting is best to leave it in - 720p or 1080i? Inother words, is the box better at deinterlacing and downscaling 1080i content to 720p or upscaling 720p content to 1080p?

I have a DVDO Edge video processor between the hopper any my main TV so I would like it to do as much processing as possible. DVDO claims that the box will fix any sub-par deinterlacing from the source.

I guess a more fundamental question is - are there still many 720p channels still out there? It was ESPN and ABC, right?

if it matters that much you should switch between the 2.

From a technical perspective, I'd go 1080i as the 720p would be easier to reassemble with a simple weave of the fields... That's exclusive of any inverse telecine operations that the edge is implementing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think you are going to notice a difference from using either resolution for the output, especially with the Edge cleaning things, it really won't matter that your eyes can see. So, I would just set the output to march your TV's resolution. Then again it wouldn't hurt to just set it for 1080i output and call it a day. Either way there is going to be stages of scaling, up-scaling, deinterlacing, interlacing, and all the processing from the box to the DVDO Edge to the TV's final processing. That steps in the in the chain may be something you MIGHT notice if there is a chance of noticing, but I just think you will have an extremely difficult time noticing any difference between 720P and 1080i output from the box, especially with the DVDO Edge fixing whatever you hand it.

I see a difference on certain channels when I use 720p vs 1080i. For instance CBS is 1080i and when it is set for 720p, the shows don't look as sharp to me. I see a more smoother picture, but less detail. I set my hopper for 1080i and use my google revue unit to upconvert everything to 1080p. Makes the picture look both detailed and smooth, the best of both.:)

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll probably leave it on 1080i unless I'm doing extended viewing on a 720p channel (which I don't expect). I have found the dish picture to be smoother than DTV for some reason - not sure. For example, House used to be all smeary and blurry on DTV but now it looks smoother. It's not to the point of soap opera effect, just clearer. On the flip side, I have noticed the colors oversaturated so I've toned them down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)