• Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BlueLemon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Florida
Simple question. How long until we start to see networks broadcasting in 1080p? :what2

And since you're here. Feel free to answer my poll question.

Probably streamed long before they are ever broadcast

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

1080i already exceeds the integrity of the program material for some of the programming I watch. Since I am into older movies, I would like to see a higher picture quality of source material from the networks, let alone the providers. There was a huge ongoing thread over at the AVS Forum about TCM and its DVD-like "HD" picture quality. The providers can upgrade all they want, but if the networks don't do anything different then there won't be substantial improvement on many networks.

Never is my guess also. Someone pointed out that 1080p offers little (if any) advantage over 1080i for movies because movies are almost all created at 24fps and so the info content of 1080i is the same as 1080p/24 or 1080p/60. 1080p/60 would potentially be useful but only if there were true 1080p/60 material available. And you don't gain much for using twice the bandwidth.
I had thought some of the sports channels might have moved to 1080p but I think they will go to 4K instead.

Reactions: BlueLemon
So how long until we see a major network broadcast in 4k?

Probably not until ATSC 3.0 is implemented

Actually, I just read somewhere (here?) that WRAL is doing 4k newscasts now.
I think it was newscasts, however, a newscast is really the next to last thing you need in 4k, yes, it's nice to have it in 4k but sporting events will be the first stuff in 4k live that is, you may see movies as well.

I'm pretty sure it was a documentary, but WRAL has no way to deliver it - IMHO it's more of a technology example than a sign of what is to come.

I'm pretty sure it was a documentary, but WRAL has no way to deliver it - IMHO it's more of a technology example than a sign of what is to come.
Why not if they are shooting with 4k cameras .... is the technology to put it on the air not there yet ?

edit:
Your right , it was a documentary.

Wasn't WRAL the first digital hd ota channel?

I was gonna say, they have been shooting in 4 k for awhile now .... not everybody, but people have been shooting in 4k.

Now they need to figure out what is needed to broadcast it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)