1080P Movie Poll

How Many of You Have Received the 1080p Movie ?

• Have a 622 and received 1080P movie on channel 501 and my tv was able to pass the 1080P video test

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Have a 622 and received 1080P movie on channel 501 but tv was NOT able to pass the 1080P test

Votes: 53 45.3%
  • Have a 722 and received 1080P movie on channel 501 and my tv was able to pass the 1080P video test

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Have a 722 and received 1080P movie on channel 501 but tv was Not able to pass the 1080P video test.

Votes: 22 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
my sammy doesn't do 1080p/24. it does 1080p/60. I'm having the same problem with both D and E. I'll have to wait for new hardware to come out from both providers :(

Got the L614 update overnight. Finally got the 10,000BC 1080P movie on 501.:D However, my Sony XBR2 did not pass the 1080P test.:(

lol. Both my 1080p Samsung passed the test (I guess) and so did my standard tv on tv2.

Tigerfan,

What type/model of Samsung do you have? I am looking to pick up a DLP around Christmas time, and although I am very unlikely to order any 1080p VOD, I want to make sure my TV can, just in case I do.

My Mitsubishi and LG are both 24p. The LG, when you hit the select switch tells you what format the feed is being shown and frame rate, the Mitsubishi doesn't, it will only say the format and "full native". My Olevia is 1080i. My wife wanted to watch 10,000 BC so I will try and watch it with the Mitsubishi and perhaps if I like what they offer next I will try the LG and report back on the results.

Kevin - you have 8 HDTVs? I assume you have a bar or something you own? Cause thats a lot o TV to watch.

I got the 1080p to work but had some problems. My wife was recording the debate on the other tuner. I hit the rent button and confirmation button, there wasn't a test, it went straight to a DVR screen but the events were empty. I hit view and it said events on my USB port would not let it be watched, like I was transferring this movie to my HD. Tried it a couple of times and same result. I tried to swap tuners and then had a black screen and choppy sound on both. Went back to 501, had no sound but this time the movie started. While I was changing stations my TV was saying every channel I was surfing to was in 1080p. I turned the DVR off, it was still recording the debate, I had tried to stop recording but it did not respond. Turned it back on and went back to 501 and the movie continued from where it was when I tuned away because of no sound and this time it had sound. My advice is don't record when you watch movies on 501.

My 622 and 2008 Sony Bravia LCD passed the 1080p test for IAL and other than the tacky decision (Dish or whomever?) to not display in OAR the PQ was very good.

That said, I have no intention of ever purchasing 1080p VODs at their regular price. For me it would take leaving them at $2.99 if no HDD recording allowed or maybe $4 if they can be stored on MY section of MY HDD. That and the S-Video output MUST remain active during playback.

Just a brief observation regarding the poll results to date. 119 votes and it's roughly 2 to 1 1080p TVs failing Dish's 1080p test. This is completely unacceptable and yet another classic example of Dish's historical, inept ability to do things right the first time.

Although a few of the problems might lie with certain model televisions, my guess is more of it is due to Dish's code and lack of sufficient testing. And as for the 1080p televisions that haven't passed due to limitations with the tv's HDMI input, that still should have been discovered in testing and some type of appropriate disclaimer posted.

Dish's philosophy of availability trumps dependability has always hurt them as has their policy of not being forth-coming when problems do exist.

Just a brief observation regarding the poll results to date. 119 votes and it's roughly 2 to 1 1080p TVs failing Dish's 1080p test. This is completely unacceptable and yet another classic example of Dish's historical, inept ability to do things right the first time.

Although a few of the problems might lie with certain model televisions, my guess is more of it is due to Dish's code and lack of sufficient testing. And as for the 1080p televisions that haven't passed due to limitations with the tv's HDMI input, that still should have been discovered in testing and some type of appropriate disclaimer posted.

Dish's philosophy of availability trumps dependability has always hurt them as has their policy of not being forth-coming when problems do exist.

Actually I believe this just exposes the failings of the HDMI implementation across the CE industry and shows how few displays actually provide REAL 1080p/24 support.

It also shows how many people are unable to discern 3:2 pulldown on their own equipment.

We have yet to have failed test display owners post their edid information to determine if there is a problem with Dish's test.

The point I was trying to make is that if Dish did a reasonable amount of testing, they should have run into a comparable amount of problems similar to what subs are reporting (regardless of where the technical reason for the failures lies) and issued some type of disclaimer that "many" displays will fail because "yada yada".

Also, like I asked (somewhere), are some of these same "1080p" HDTVs that are not passing Dish's 1080p test also failing to properly display Direct TV's 1080p offerings?

Also, like I asked (somewhere), are some of these same "1080p" HDTVs that are not passing Dish's 1080p test also failing to properly display Direct TV's 1080p offerings?
Walt_ Did you ask in the DirecTV forums where you for sure would get an answer? From reading here and DBSTalk, D still doesn't have this ready. *Soon* to quote a favorite E* catchword! Since 10kBC is now gone from 501 I wondered also in another thread whether we will get another $2.99 special or if E* is just declaring victory and will charge the regular price. For sure that will kill any testing motivation...

Walt_ Did you ask in the DirecTV forums where you for sure would get an answer? From reading here and DBSTalk, D still doesn't have this ready. *Soon* to quote a favorite E* catchword! Since 10kBC is now gone from 501 I wondered also in another thread whether we will get another $2.99 special or if E* is just declaring victory and will charge the regular price. For sure that will kill any testing motivation...

Just checked 501 and Speed Racer is listed as 1080p however, the price is $6.99. Since I have no intention of paying any extra over my monthly charge I have not tested my TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)