1080p PPV

Wesro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Eufaula, Alabama
I am looking to use some of the PPV coupon's I got for signing up. I have only had Dish for about a week.

I am wanting to order a 1080p movie but I only see one channel and it is only playing Alice. Is this the only 1080p movie channel? If so how often to they rotate movies on this channel?

I have looked through the guide and through that 1980's looking 'On Demand' software and really can't find anymore 1080p content.

Thanks

Coupon not good for the On Demand

I am looking to use some of the PPV coupon's I got for signing up. I have only had Dish for about a week.

I am wanting to order a 1080p movie but I only see one channel and it is only playing Alice. Is this the only 1080p movie channel? If so how often to they rotate movies on this channel?

I have looked through the guide and through that 1980's looking 'On Demand' software and really can't find anymore 1080p content.

Thanks

The coupons that you have will only work with the PPV listed in the guide not the one's listed as Dish on line. Also it will still cost you a $1 as the price of the HD is $1 more than SD. You have found the only 1080p that will work with your coupon.

I recently upgraded to HD, and was wondering how to identify a 1080p PPV.
I don't ever see any indication in the guide or info.

Secondly, what's the definition of the "limited recording" message on some HD PPV channels?

No Coupons for VOD

I found out the coupons DO NOT WORK with VOD.

I wanted to use then only for HD Movies - there are only a few each day - starting at 502.

Finnigan

Yes 1080p takes a lot of bandwidth so it will be a while before they will do much of it.

Of course, keep in mind that the 1080P along with all the other VOD are downloads, not streaming live like the PPV. I think it is more of a cost matter for Dish. Probably costs more to rights of the 1080P.

1080p doesn't really do anything at all to a movie that 1080i can't. Movies run at frame-rates around 24FPS. A 120hz set would be useful to have for such circumstances but even then there will be no difference in PQ between 1080p and 1080i. None. Using it would be a waste of bandwidth really.

Are most PPV HD movies in 720p? I haven't ordered any yet.

Last edited:
So...

1. I can't use a coupon for any of the VOD Channel 501.

2. I can use a coupon for HD channels 502-522 but it's going to cost me $1.

3. I can use a coupon for SD channels 526-558 and it will cost me nothing.

Have I got all this straight?

Thanks

1080p doesn't really do anything at all to a movie that 1080i can't. Movies run at frame-rates around 24FPS. A 120hz set would be useful to have for such circumstances but even then there will be no difference in PQ between 1080p and 1080i. None. Using it would be a waste of bandwidth really.

Are most PPV HD movies in 720p? I haven't ordered any yet.

Most PPV HD movies are in 1080i. Some VOD movies and some DishOnline content are in 1080p24. A 72 or 95 Hz set can do wonders w/ 24fps content, as well.

There's no difference in resolution between 1080i and 1080p. However, there is a difference in PQ due to motion judder as well as de-interlacing issues with motion. Most sets can't do even 3/4 of the 1080 vertical lines in motion with 1080i content.

When I use VOD I get the movie instantly, but if I use Dish on line, it can take up to 6 hours or more to get the movie. Yet my 722k is connected to my 10Mb broadband. Is this how it should be and is there a difference if I order from a PPV channel 502-522, or the Dish On Line screen?
Thanks,
Ghpr13:)

The speed has little to do w/ it

When I use VOD I get the movie instantly, but if I use Dish on line, it can take up to 6 hours or more to get the movie. Yet my 722k is connected to my 10Mb broadband. Is this how it should be and is there a difference if I order from a PPV channel 502-522, or the Dish On Line screen?
Thanks,
Ghpr13:)

Your download speed has only a small relationship to how fast you get it. It has a lot to do w/how fast the server you are talking to can send it out(upload). There is a lot of "pipe line" tween you and E* also.

There should be a noticeable difference during motion between 1080i vs. 1080p.

If Dish PPV is using a 1080p/24 source (BR), and interlacing it to 1080i, then your 1080p display has to de-interlace the fields back to 1080p.

Depending on the type of de-interlacing used, the image can loose vertical resolution. Typical de-interlacing methods cause a loss of temporal resolution.
Temporal resolution = The clarity of a moving image or moving object, or the measurement of the rate of information change in motion video.

Weaving causes artifact know as combing. Retains full vertical resolution and halves the temporal resolution.

Blending leaves artifact known as ghosting. Image looses vertical and temporal resolution.

Selective blending has fewer artifacts. Maintains full vertical resolution and halves temporal resolution.

If the original source was progressive. As long as the interlacing is accurate, and no fields are dropped,
and everyone used a display that perfectly de-interlaced the fields back to the original progressive frames, it would look O.K.

Last edited:
There should be a noticeable difference during motion between 1080i vs. 1080p.

I disagree. I have a professionally calibrated Pioneer Kuro 1080p set. When comparing 1080i and 1080p on motion I really don't see a difference. Lots of hype not too much in reality.

I wasn't trying to hype anything. I was just pointing out the facts.

Try changing the output on a PC from 1080p to 1080i. Even static images get real ugly.

Plasma, in my experience, does tend to hide detail that LCD doesn't hide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)