1080P Video On Demand a JOKE

jmscott31

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
:mad:
I have to tell you, i've been with Dish for 4 months now and it's been the WORST experience of my life. The whole reason I switched over to dish was to get the 1080p on demand content. WOW, what a mistake I made. Like I said, it's been 4 months and i've been able to view ONE 1080p hd movie since and that showed up for a few hours of one day then it vanished, never to be seen again. Til this day I have been unable to access any 1080p content, after 24 hours of phone call tech support, 5 techs literally coming to my apartment, swapping out 4 receivers, and even replacing the satellite dish. I HAVE NOT PAID ONE DIME to dish network for my crappy services. They are still working to resolve the issue. PATHETIC!! If anyone here is having the same issue, please reply!!!!
:mad:

I have had one 1080p movie available (different movies depending on the month) everytime I've checked since they implemented this. Are you sure that the receiver is in standby overnight and that you don't have any timers firing late night that could be preventing the download?

I have followed EVERY procedure known to MAN to fix the problem. Like I said, it worked at ONE point in time and I was able to rent and view ONE movie in 1080P about 2 months in to my service (after already dealing with TONS of tech support bull crap). The funny thing is, the one time it worked was during a period of time when I had given up on dealing with Dish for a bit and it just randomly worked. I hadn't done ANY recent troubleshooting prior to the movie showing up. I watched it and it was AMAZING. Now, ever since, the content is no longer availible once again. I mean what does it tell you when 4 or 5 installation managers physically come to your place and can't even figure it out themselves ya know? Super frustrating.

I've powered my receiver off for DAYS without even watching TV solely for the purpose of hoping that is the cause....

I have to say if your whole reason was to switch simply for 1080p content, you should have done more research before your switch. Not a good move on your part.

Research? Uhhh, not much to research considering dish is the only company offering the service :) Maybe i'm missing your point, why don't you elaborate a bit? Are you stating that because dish advertises their 1080p content all over the net as well as their commercials, that one is to presume it's a crappy, non-working service and needs to be researched? Now correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the research to be left up to the delelopers of the software/services? Hmmmmm, something for you to ponder :)

Research? Uhhh, not much to research considering dish is the only company offering the service :) Maybe i'm missing your point, why don't you elaborate a bit? Are you stating that because dish advertises their 1080p content all over the net as well as their commercials, that one is to presume it's a crappy, non-working service and needs to be researched? Now correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the research to be left up to the delelopers of the software/services? Hmmmmm, something for you to ponder :)

YOU are the one that stated the WHOLE reason to switch providers was because of 1080p. Did you know that Direct is offering 1080p through it's CE program?? I guess not.

Wouldn't be easier to get a Blu-Ray player????

First off, you're missing the point. This forum is not for idiots like yourself to come in and drop negative comments to people trying to find resolutions to their problems. I ordered a service, the terms of agreement state I should be receiving a specific service (that everyone else on the network has with virtually NO PROBLEMS), yet mine doesn't work. Now I already own a blue-ray player, yet want the convenience of on demand is well. Now if you have a problem with it, simply mind your own business and go else where to try make yourself try and look smart.

Anyone else that would like to assist me with my problem is greatly appreciated, those that do not want to assist, take a leap. :)

Yeah never tried it. Hmm well thats why I use Blockbuster Online and watch Blu-Ray movies.. :)

I think Satelliteguys is getting to be a very hostile place. The signal to noise ratio is dropping. If it's not a put-down it's someone chiming in with a useless "SOON" every other post.

It seems reasonable to me that someone would be interested in being able to watch 1080p VOD, and we've also heard that some people can't seem to get it to work for whatever reason. It's too bad this forum is no longer a place where you can receive constructive, technical help when you need it.

You reap what you sow. Go back and read the BAD ATTITUDE in the original post. That is why you are getting suggestions like "just use a Blu-Ray" - with a few exceptions, those experiencing hostility here brought it on themselves. Most people here are very polite, most of the time. In case you're as new to the Internet as you are to this forum (seven posts total, four in this thread alone), BAD ATTITUDE in a forum postings is indistinguishable from flame bait.

Since you brought it up, where in the Dish terms of service does it say they are obligated to make 1080p pay-per-views available to you? Sure, it is in their interest to do so, as it gives them another way that you might spend money on their service, but I have read of no such obligation. As others have validly stated, buying or renting blu-ray movies would be a heck of a lot cheaper if 1080p VOD is the ONLY reason you have satellite TV.

The suggestions made about leaving the unit in standby while it's not in use, especially overnight, are valid. At the very least, there is an uninterruptible window that must occur so that the entire movie can download. Any timer events or other interruptions will abort the download in progress. There may be other factors and there are some threads here already that get pretty deep in discussion over this. This is a new technology in its infancy, so there are bound to be some problems. I should note that when I look, there is usually something 1080p on my machine, however I will never view it mainly because my TV is 1080i not 1080p and has component, not HDMI, inputs.

Last edited:
LOL, unbelievable you people are. JeffinIndy, thank you for hearing me out. I simply came to this forum to find an answer to my problem as well as post my thoughts/what i've been through with Dish in the past 4 to 5 months, trying to get the service they SO PROUDLY advertise to work. It's not a matter of getting a blu-ray player. It's a matter of a company advertisting a service, selling it, and it failing. I have spent numerous hours of my own personal air time minutes (20+) with tech support, i've taken days off work to have these people come out to my house, i've delt with the corporate headquarters, i've done it all... Now i'm sorry if you people out there can't see my point, for that is your own problem. I will ask those that do not want to respond to my posting with some form of understanding, simply do not respond at all. I am here looking for answers.

In my opinion, forums are designed to express opinion and discussions, not aruments and hostile remarks. My initial email was not at all hostile toward ANY one of you out there in this forum, yet was a simply gesture to express my opinions of my experience with Dish network thus far.

JIMSCOTT#! the 1080P only works on sets that can do 1080P at 25hz. Not all 1080P set can do this. The ealry models can only do 1080P 60HZ. Tv set over 42 inch bought in the last year can.

Ok this is frustrating, READ MY FIRST POST. I HAD the service working for ONE DAY!!!!! My TV supports 1080P at 60 hz. I already rented Speed Racer in 1080p and it worked flawless. Thats what people are not understanding. This is so beyond frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)