1080P Video On Demand a JOKE

I know nothing about your system but I love troubleshooting satellite problems so here's my two cents worth. If you've changed receivers and receiver types and the problem is still the same, its not a receiver problem. If you've changed out the dish and cables and the problem is still the same, its not a dish or cable problem. If your tv can properly display 1080p resolution, then its not a tv problem. If other dish customers are receiving the 1080p VOD with their receivers and their systems are working as advertised, then its not the satellite or uplink facility problem. If several technicians have come to your apartment and can't figure out the problem, then its obviously not a common problem. So what's left. It looks like something is preventing a VOD movie from downloading without errors or completely downloading from the satellite to your reciever so it can display as available to rent. It may be the one good movie you had was the fluke. Here's some of the things I'd look at. Does all 1080p VOD come from one particular satellite/transponder and is that satellite/transponder clearly visible by the dish with good, steady signal? Are there any cell towers, airports, tv towers or other high power transmitters in there area that could overpower the satellite signal and cause receiving errors on that particular transponder? Just because normal dish viewing is not effected doesn't meaning the specially formatted 1080p download can't have problems. Is there anyone in your apartment complex operating any high power or high electronic emission activities (legally or illegally)? In my humble opinion, I'd look at the signal between the satellite and the dish. Have the technicians tried moving the dish 30-50 feet one way or the other, just to see if it makes a difference? Stranger things have happened. Good luck.

Agaonizing, come on brotha, you think i've insulted them? Look what the service these guys are "big fans" of have put me through. I was simply expressing my opinion. Freedom of speech, correct? I did not put dish network down, yet simply relayed the frustration they have caused upon me. I can bet you 100% if any one of those guys I offenended actually witnessed what I have been through in the past 5 months, they would COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND why i approached the way I did.... Don't you think that after 5 months of poor customer service and a product that doesn't work that being I'm still with Dish show that I have an ample amount of respect despite what they've put me through? I have not cancelled dish, I have not filed a lawsuit... in fact, i'm sticking with them in lue that they fix my problem! THEY HAVE EXCELLENT PROGRAMMING!!!!

I do though understand where you are coming from, but its been 5 MONTHS and people get to a threshold/breaking point! I've met mine!

Anyway, I'm on an upstairs unit with NO OBSTRUCTIONS :|

tsanders, I'M ON THE WEST COAST!!!!!!! Califorinia.
See there you go again. shouting at people who are trying to help you out. No where in this thread have you indicated that you live on the west coast, or in California. But we were supposed to read your mind on that one right?

By the way, in addition to my initial post, I have some additional info for you. you can check for occasional signal loss by going into the system info screen (Menu 6-1-3) after it finishes click on details. If you have had a loss of signal in the last few hours it will be listed there. You may also want to check the counters from the diagnostics screen for the Lost Locks count. Best of luck to you.

My 622 that won't download the 1080p VOD has 10 other VODs on channel 501. It's downloaded the 1080p one in the past, just won't do it this month. I wonder if it's only sent for a day or two at the beginning of the month?

Don't you think that after 5 months of poor customer service and a product that doesn't work that being I'm still with Dish show that I have an ample amount of respect despite what they've put me through? I have not cancelled dish, I have not filed a lawsuit...|

I am sorry. I could not resist.

Lawsuit???? Are you serious?:D

First off, you're missing the point. This forum is not for idiots like yourself to come in and drop negative comments to people trying to find resolutions to their problems. I ordered a service, the terms of agreement state I should be receiving a specific service (that everyone else on the network has with virtually NO PROBLEMS), yet mine doesn't work. Now I already own a blue-ray player, yet want the convenience of on demand is well. Now if you have a problem with it, simply mind your own business and go else where to try make yourself try and look smart.

Anyone else that would like to assist me with my problem is greatly appreciated, those that do not want to assist, take a leap. :)

ok...SO when you try to purchase a VOD movie, you cannot view the movie? Is that correct?

I guess that rules out the Eastern Arc being the issue. What bothers me is a have many SD VOD movies that I would never watch. If they would send down some HD ones I would be rent them often.

I do though understand where you are coming from, but its been 5 MONTHS and people get to a threshold/breaking point! I've met mine!

Get a Netflix subscription and
405869332_a29e95463b_m.jpg

The 1080p VOD service from Dish Network sounds like even more of a pain every time I read something new about it.

Does anyone have an accurate list of televisions that really work with the E* 1080p/24 VOD system? I own a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4 series TV sporting 120Hz refresh, HDMI 1.3 connections and true 1080p/24 support. Yet I'm pretty sure others with this same TV have had problems accessing the content.

Why does E* have a 1 movie per month limit on 1080p VOD? That limit isn't good for repeat business. It may do a good job of driving more people to rent movies on Blu-ray.

The 1080p VOD service already sounded like a bad idea to me from the start just based on the price point alone. My local video stores and Netflix are more competitive with BD rental prices and you keep the movie longer.

We can't forget about the obvious differences in bit rate. The 1080p VOD content from E* may indeed be 1080p/24 like Blu-ray, but it doesn't have the high video bit rates of Blu-ray. It doesn't have the high data rate audio formats of Blu-ray either. No other delivery medium of HD into the home matches the video quality of Blu-ray. The only things better than Blu-ray is JPEG2000 Digital Cinema and the uncompressed digital master.

The way I see it, HD VOD services from E*, Apple and various others should cost significantly less than Blu-ray rentals rather than more. If they want to charge more then they should deliver more. But they're not.

We can't forget about the obvious differences in bit rate. The 1080p VOD content from E* may indeed be 1080p/24 like Blu-ray, but it doesn't have the high video bit rates of Blu-ray. It doesn't have the high data rate audio formats of Blu-ray either.
It can have the same bitrate since it's downloaded to the hard disk prior to being viewed. Dish can take as long as necessary to send it. I've read reviews saying the quality is indeed equal to Blu-ray.

one thing that he mentioned was is your receiver connected to a phone line or ethernet connection. have you verified that your connected to your home network and if so, are you sure your router is not killing your connection? that would stop your download. just my two cents. hope it helps.

nevermind, i scanned through the post and missed the missing guide data part.
You messed up - the 1080p VOD movies downloading thru sat stream, but use IPTV protocol.

Look up there

To jmscott31,

Would be helpful to check night time signal fluctuations at 110W tp 16 where the IP stream happening with 1080p VOD, BTW the movie taking ~3 hours for full spool.
Also, the thread is full of technical info and recommendations how to catch the 1080p movies.

I'm sure it is frustrating.. and unfortunate. sometimes a service just wont work for someone.. and that goes for every provider under the sun.. not just dish.

There are many many people have had excellent success with the 1080p VOD's, and I hope it works out for you.

LOL Man oh man, the problem with posting text is that no one can hear tone of voice... I wasn't shouting at him.... jeeesh, I was simply stating it with excitement! (like I did there), anyway, not my problem if people want to interprut text in their own fashion.

As for my issue, i'm going to give what you said a shot and see what comes of it.

I want to apologize to everyone for misinterprutting my postings... I am new to this whole forum thing and didn't realize that all caps with exclamations was a notion that i'm pissed off lol, again, sorry guys!!!!

I appreciate all your feedback greatly. Just bare with me as I try to grasp the forum etiquette skills.... I will improve. :)

Dishcomm, the problem is, I don't get the movie to select to begin with, tons of movies on 501, but only one time was I able to rent and view a 1080p movie. And to those claiming the quality isn't there, check it out for yourself, the quality is definately there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)