10ft KTI setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tester239

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I recently obtained 3 10ft Kaul-Tronics metal mesh dishes from a local business that wasn't using them anymore (for free, of course). Since we finally had some nice weather, I got the dish set up, wired back to the house, and aligned to the arc :) This is my first ever venture into C-band territory.

The dishes came with some cheapo C-band LNBs, and no port for a Ku-band LNB on the feedhorn.. Any suggestions on a dual C/Ku band LNB setup for a prime focus dish? The Geosat C/Ku seems like a good choice - anybody have experience with these and if they're any good?

I've only got one of the dishes set up right now, and the other two are in the garage in pieces. I won't be able to use all 3 due to space limitations, so I'm offering up one of mine for free to whomever would like to pick it up (Corvallis, OR). PM for directions. Actuator included.

DSCF0515s.jpg

ghetto mount setup will be replaced in the near future. I'm pretty well surrounded by trees keeping the wind down, and it isn't very windy in this area anyway.

I just changed to a Corotor II Plus and Norsat LNB that I picked up on Ebay for a hundred bucks (it looks almost new)and my quality came up about 8 points over the BSC621 I had there although with 10' dishes it shouldn't make that big of a difference. I have not played with the Ku side yet so don't know how much that improved.

4 choices:

If you don't want to run a servo to change polarity, AND you want both C- and Ku- on one dish, there are few choices:
- very expensive orthomode feedhorn and two C-band, plus two Ku band LNBs! :eek:
- BSC-621. it's gotten a bad reputation over the years. may just need TLC
- DMX741. new kid on the block. currently in test by some users
- CK-1. seems well proven by dedicated tuners.

If you read through the threads, you'll get the idea that a few users are happy with their BSC 621's.
They're certainly fine for c-band. Most had serious trouble getting Ku to work.
Was it the equipment... or the testers....? Who knows?

Linuxman may be super careful at tuning, but has gotten good results from the Ck-1 on Ku band.
Seeing the potential, others have found it to work pretty well, even if tune up seemed challenging.
If you need to order something now, this is a good working solution.
I made my decision to get one last year, and felt it was the right move.

If you have a month to wait for test results, the DMX741 will be discussed more on the forum.
They're really not too expensive, so you could try one now if you like, and be a tester, too. :)

I'm REALLY tempted to just order the DMX741.. It has a much better noise figure than what I was looking at before (for Ku at least, which is just as important as C to me). Also, has anybody noticed how a lot of these C/Ku band duals have the exact same body and style, just a different sticker on em?

Woops, forgot to add this in my last post: Anything would be better for Ku than what I have now:

Photo-0073.jpg

If it were me, I would get an adjustable F/D - linear C/Ku feedhorn like a ADL RP-3 or Corotor II for the BUD and setup a separate 36"+ dish if you want circular Ku. Get the best trusted LNBs you can afford.

Check places like Ebay, craigslist, and don't ever forget the classified section here. In my launch into BUDdom I have gotten: rebranded ADL RP-3 feedorn - $75 shipped (classified section); Almost new from Skyvision Motorola DSR-922 - $75 shipped (Craigslist); New Cal-Amp C-band 3.7-4.2 GHz 20 degree Digital Ready PLL LNB - $19.95 shipped (Ebay). Free 7.5' Sami dish - another 10' offered yesterday from a local church when they repainted their steeple. Now my search is on for a good linear Ku LNB like a Norsat or maybe a JRC (Japan Radio Corporation) for cheap.

If you have never used it - please check out the site crazedlist.org : search craigslist like a madman - this is a worldwide all in one search engine for craigslist. You can search by regions for whatever item - just don't search all regions at once - takes forever. You may have to adjust your browser settings - but it gives the instructions on what to change - then search away. I have purchased some great things on craigslist - esp. my barely used 48" Mitsubishi CRT RPTV - if you have never watched HD on a well-tweaked large CRT-based RPTV - you have not experienced HD :)

Cheers...
Nate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts