110 problem

Lange101

Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
hi sorry for the dumb question but here goes...

I've got dishnet work and it was working ok.. I was able to get 110 and 119 no problem....

however.. I'm losing 110... I thought that maybe the sat had moved... as there was no signal... so i realigned it and how have a decent signal for both...

at transponder 11
119 is locked and getting ~115 signal strenght ---

110 is not locking "wrong sat - echostar 119 west" - signal strength ~115

now I had 110 working last night... I didn't change anything....

so i tried to check switch and it now only lists 119.... it won't even detect the 110 (eventhough if i go to the previous menu its showing a strong signal.. but wrong sat).....

now i was thinking that it may be switch... but I've got 2 recievers using 2 lnbs with 2 sw21 switch's.....

the reason i thought it may be switch is that sometime when checking the switch (which i know is a sw21) it detects the wrong switch... eg sw21 but is saying its a 3 sat system and shows ( 1 1 2 2 3 3 ) as the input but only 119 is detected.... other switchs have shown up but i can't remember which ones......

so know I'm thinking maybe my 110 lmb is fubar'd... but i switch the 119 and 110 thinking I'd get 110 rather than 119.... but it still picked up 119....

anyways thanks for any help

I couldn't quite follow your troubleshooting - except that it seems you've got the right idea of swap and isolate.

So, it sounds like you've got essentially 'twin' signal paths. This should make it relatively easy to isolate the failing component.

First, take the good receiver and move it to where the bad one is. If no problem, you've got box trouble. If still a problem, you've got LNB/switch/cable trouble.

If box trouble, tell us what kind of receiver it is - but also try to reset the switch matrix as follows: Disconnect satellite feed. Run Check Switch. Pull power plug. Run Check Switch AGAIN. Reconnect and run Check Switch for the third time and cross fingers. :)

If it's not the box, just start swapping things around (taking notes!) until you isolate the bad omponent.

Let us know what happens - even if you get it running, OK?

hi thanks for the reply.... yep my post wasn't very clear I'll try to make a little more sense out of it....

I have 2 dishs 1 for 119 1 for 110
I have 2 (duel input) lnb's one for each dish

so i hooked up 1 sw21 switch (input from each lnb) which ran to a reciver up stairs

I hooked up a second sw21 switch the same way and ran it to another reciver down stairs

now BOTH recievers (301s) have lost 110 (but still show strong signal strength just wrong sat).... so i don't see how it could be a switch.... since each reciever is running a different switch...

I thought that it may be the lnb I had on the 110 sat... so my thinking was that if I was getting 119 but not 110....if i switched the lnb then i should get 110 and not 119.... but when i did this i got 119.... not what i was expecting.... but who know maybe i somehow messed it up and didn't switch them.....

strange.... if an lnb is cooked.... can the reciever still show a signal....its odd that it locked on to 110 one day and not the next....

I'll have to try switch'n the lnb's again and make sure I'm sure they are switched (I think i did it right but.....)

anyways thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it....

I'll let you know how i make out

Are you saying that you physically moved the LNB from one dish to the other? If so, then your logic is correct, and because you still don't get 110, then I gotta say the 110 dish has been whacked off-aim.

Try isolating the 110 dish straight through to a receiver using a barrel connector instead of the SW21, then run a Check Switch and see if you've got signal. If not, and you're already sure it's a good LNB because it works on the 119 dish, and is failing on 2 receivers, then it's almost guaranteed to be an aiming problem.

ok one more dumb question (for now)

if its a aiming problem shouldn't my signal strength be poor (or non existant) for the 110.... I just figured since when i look at 110 on the point dish menu with a strenght of 113 that it was pointing in the correct direction.... or is it possible that the 110 is way off and the recieve is picking up the 119 signal on the 110....

that likely doesn't make any sense..... but after reading your posts i agree... its likely a dish pointing problem....

No, you've likely hit the nail right on the head - strong signal with "Wrong satellite" means exactly that. :) And that's not "way off" - it's only 9 degrees.

It most typically shows up on a Dish 500 where the 110 LNBF is pointed at 119 or vice versa.

update..........

ok... finally got it straightnd out (i think....)

wellllll it seems as though my satelite dish was not tightnd down enough and must have moved slightly... enough for me to lose 110....

so I re-aligned it for 119 (and the signal was strong).... now I spent A LOT of time trying to get the system to detect 110... but i tried and tried and tried but couldn't get it to detect....

what was i doing wrong.... well I forgot to check the switch (when i lost 110 I tried to check the switch and it only picked up 119).... so here i was trying to get 110 when the switch was only looking for 119... dohhhhhhhh,,,,,,, anyways checked the switch after it was readjusted for 119 and it picked up both 119 and 110... man was that DUMB.... oh well live and learn....

thanks for all your help i really appreciate it....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)