118.7 Average Signal Strength?

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
I've seen the chart with Dish average/minimum signal strengths. And, it has come in very handy. But, it didn't include 118.7.

Does anybody know where I can find one for that bird. Or, perhaps you might have your own readings for Northern California that I can use for comparison.

I ask because I was having some video blocking and occasional loss-of-signal warnings. I did manage to tweak another 5 points or so out of the the dish. But, I'd still like to see how my numbers compare.

Where have you seen the chart with minimum/average strength? I was re-peaking my Dish today and it would be a great resource to have

In Connecticut transponder strength on 118 is between 50 and 55.
Which transponders? What level at each TP?
Just a general 50-55 isn't really precise enough, unfortunately.
Sometimes just a few points can make the difference between perfect signal and blocking/freezing/lost signal errors.

Last edited:
Transponder 27 is at 54-55, 30 is at 52-53. 18 is at 50 - 51 10 is at 51-52 08 is at 51-52 while 03 is at 51-52. and 01 ist at 52-53. I never have freezing/blocking in normal weather, rain etc.. No matter what transponder I pick they are all in that range.

Transponder 27 is at 54-55, 30 is at 52-53. 18 is at 50 - 51 10 is at 51-52 08 is at 51-52 while 03 is at 51-52. and 01 ist at 52-53. I never have freezing/blocking in normal weather, rain etc.. No matter what transponder I pick they are all in that range.
Excellent. Thanks! :bounce
I'll compare when I get home.

Good, I never looked to see what TP TVJapan was on but we watch often to news, singing contests etc...

TV Japan in SD is on TP28, not that it matters.

FWIW, there are also 4 Indian HD channels on TP32. (2 Pkg, 1 PPV, and 1 Cricket).
I don't see any other HD channels on 118, except for a couple of horse racing simulcast channels that I assume are for OTB commercial accounts.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Dish-USA-119W.html

I get TV5 (France) in HD ch 9666. TP23. There are some Indian and Asian channels in HD also that I got as a preview awhile back.

Did you see the many changes on 118 in the uplink report? Perhaps related to your original problem?

I get TV5 (France) in HD ch 9666. TP23. There are some Indian and Asian channels in HD also that I got as a preview awhile back.
Somebody over at Lyngsat needs to update their db.

Did you see the many changes on 118 in the uplink report? Perhaps related to your original problem?
I generally don't check those things. I suppose the changes may have caused our issue. But, it did go away once I tweaked the dish for the extra 5 points.

Reactions: Tampa8
I remember that, then they changed how the receivers interpreted signal strength, then came the EA with very different levels. Since they have dummy downed features, they might as well do it for signal strength. Whatever the actual strength is, make the receiver display it the same for WA and EA. So if WA shows as a 100 for a particular strength, if right now the EA equivalent of what is that same strength is 55, make the receiver show that as 100 also.
Then when someone needs to know what range is acceptable it will be the same scale. The number that is assigned to the strength is arbitrary as we know, so just use the same scale.

I liked things better when all the transponders peaked at around 125. This 55% garbage, and the fact certain model boxes will display different signals has been driving me nuts for years.

I just got an email for an update for my Super Buddy. I never use this feature, have no idea what it does, and don't care either.

If you currently load Dish Limits into your meter, then you will need to choose between Dish East, Dish Central and Dish West, depending on where you are located in the United States. See the application note titled “Super Buddy Limit Scan Feature Revision Brief for Dish Network Users” by clicking or pasting the following link into your internet browser to determine which selection to make: