118.75 & 119 Together?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pajer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
North Central Pennsylvania
i currently have a seperate dish 500 dish pointed at each of the 119, 110 & 61.5 sats, (for signal strength and spot beam reasons). would i be able to use the dish that is pointed at the 119 and also pick up the 118.75 if i were to get a different lnb for it or will i have to get a dish 500+, if so, why? thanks, pajer

The DBS and FSS satellite frequencies, polarities, and transmit powers are different.

(1) The DBS uses 12.2 - 12.7 GHz, RH and LH Circular Polarity, high power for a small dish, with satellites no closer than 9 degrees apart.
(2) The FSS uses 11.7 - 12.2 GHz, Horizontal and Vertical Linear Polarity, low power for a bigger dish, but satellites closer together.
(3) Most Dish Network satellites for home TV are as (1) above, except for 105 and 121 which are (2) above.
(4) Now they threw in a new bird at 118.7 that is like a (2) above, except it has Circular Polarity.

Therefore, for 105, 121, and 118.7 you would need a larger dish than the Dish 500, and a different LNBF. However, some have reported modifying various LNBF's. Also, some have reported using a INVACOM LNBF with favorable results.

I thought the 118.7 was linear polarity... (i could be wrong on that)
unless you feel like tinkering and messing with it forver just get a Dish 500+... it will save a lot of time, frustration, and probably money in the long run

The dish for 118.75 is quite huge. Seems at least twice as large as a dish500. Maybe more. We only get low seventies signal wise as well (out of 125). Its a solution but not a very good one.

birddoggy said:
I thought the 118.7 was linear polarity... (i could be wrong on that)
unless you feel like tinkering and messing with it forver just get a Dish 500+... it will save a lot of time, frustration, and probably money in the long run
You shouldn't rush to post in this response. :(
Especially Pepper and myself DID the linear LNBF mods and got RESULTS.

pajer,

The jury has spoken. :) :)

It appears space is not a problem for you (and money is just as available), so you should buy yourself a Dish 500+, even if you only use it for 118.7.
However, some have reported modifying various LNBF's. Also, some have reported using a INVACOM LNBF with favorable results.
I believe I meant to say "some results" instead of "favorable results". I really don't remember :confused: , but I would almost swear I've read somewhere that one of the INVACOM LNBF was tried and provided some sort of signal; maybe it had to be modified also.

Bottom line - I believe he now knows why.

Thanks all.
SW

scooby2 said:
The dish for 118.75 is quite huge. Seems at least twice as large as a dish500. Maybe more. We only get low seventies signal wise as well (out of 125). Its a solution but not a very good one.

It's not that big--it's smaller than a SuperDISH. The FCC filing for AMC-16 and its future replacement calls for a dish that is 26 inches and shaped somewhat more wide than tall. In contrast the average diameter of a Dish 500 is 24" and is more tall than wide. A typical non-DBS or "FTA" dish is 30 inches avg. diameter and is also more tall than wide.

The bird at 118.7 is operating in a very unique and high-powered mode. Even though it is in the the "lower" part of the FSS band it is broadcasting at a very high power compared to other non-DBS satellites. Not quite as powerful as DBS but much more than traditional lower-FSS birds like those at 105, 121, etc.

This is also why Dish 500+/1000+ are not as large as SuperDISH, either.

To make matters better the use of circular polarity allows for the higher power so that dishes aimed at other "lower-FSS" adjacent satellites are not interfered with.

SmityWhity said:
The DBS and FSS satellite frequencies, polarities, and transmit powers are different.

(1) The DBS uses 12.2 - 12.7 GHz, RH and LH Circular Polarity, high power for a small dish, with satellites no closer than 9 degrees apart.
(2) The FSS uses 11.7 - 12.2 GHz, Horizontal and Vertical Linear Polarity, low power for a bigger dish, but satellites closer together.
(3) Most Dish Network satellites for home TV are as (1) above, except for 105 and 121 which are (2) above.
(4) Now they threw in a new bird at 118.7 that is like a (2) above, except it has Circular Polarity.

Therefore, for 105, 121, and 118.7 you would need a larger dish than the Dish 500, and a different LNBF. However, some have reported modifying various LNBF's. Also, some have reported using a INVACOM LNBF with favorable results.

There is a new dish.....Dish 500 plus....Looksat 110/118.75/and 119....that dish is required to view these sats....

scooby2 said:
only 25" ide..the dish 500 is 20" in diameter. Slightly elipitical....the d-500 plus uses the same mast(heavier guage) and support struts for roof mount..it's really not that much larger than the d-500..

Smith said:
You shouldn't rush to post in this response. :(
Especially Pepper and myself DID the linear LNBF mods and got RESULTS.

I just put in my 2cents because I don't think it is worth it in the long run for MOST people to be out there modding their dish setup... Is it possible, sure why not... anything is possible... with enough time and tinkering i'm sure somebody somewhere could pick up the satellite with an lnb duct taped to a trashcan lid...would i recommend it, hell no

I believe in doing things right the first time and avoiding the frustration and time it would take to mod your setup, when there is an option available through dish that works just fine, thats what I would recommend

If you want to play with it, thats fine... but just know that you could use the a 500+ to do exactly what you want to do, without the frustration

Smith said:
Actually, I should narrowed my response that time - it was about 118.75W satellite polarization only.
Although I caught that when I read your post, it did take me a couple of mintues to realize you were only refering to the polarity.
birddoggy said:
with enough time and tinkering i'm sure somebody somewhere could pick up the satellite with an lnb duct taped to a trashcan lid...would i recommend it, hell no
I agree with your whole post. :up
Without looking back, the OP asked about dish size and LNBF, but also WHY NOT. Since he was from PA, I figured he could read and had been reading too much, so I wanted to give him enough info before he went shopping. Looking back, at the end of my first post I should had recommended the Dish 500+/1000+ even though he seems to go with the "one bird, one dish" concept.:)

Garbage can and LNBF.... Probably not me, but maybe one day I'll try a garbage can lid and LNBF!:D

Last edited:
I have heard there should be a "combo" LNB, receiving both satellites (the whole frequency range 11.7-12.2 and 12.2-12.7 GHz) in one LNB, instead of the need of one LNB for 119º and another LNB for 118.75º.
Is that right? And where can I get it?

But it is really the same as two LNBF's in a single housing, so you still have 1 connector for 119, and a second connector for 118.7.

To get one, you currently have to buy the Dish 500+ or 1000+.