119, 110, 61.5 using two Dish 500s and DP34

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ktalley

Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Well, it's me again. I FINALLY had this setup working with my DP301 receivers, but now that I've replaced those (lightning zapped 'em) with two DP311 receivers, I can't get it working. I even replaced my DP34 (with a used one from eBay) thinking that it might be the issue, but I get the same results. So unless I bought a bum DP34 (which is possible, of course), I must be doing something wrong.

Here's the setup (for those of you who missed my thread last year).

I have two DP311 receivers (new). I have two Dish 500 dishes (each w/DishPro Twin LNB). One dish is for the standard DishNetwork package (119/110) -- the other is for Sky Angel (Dominion) at 61.5. Dishes are pointed at the birds. I have the 61.5 dish cabled to the 119 side of the second dish 500 LNB. I can bypass the DP34, run each dish (one at a time, of course) to my receiver(s), and point/lock them successfully. It's only when I introduce the DP34 that I run into issues.

Here are the steps I followed previously (that worked with my DP301s):

1) Connect Dish #1 to the DP34 (119 to input port#1, 110 to input port#2)
2) Disconnect receiver & run check switch (to clear the matrix)
3) Reconnect receiver to DP34 output & run check switch -- 119/110 are found and everything looks good.
4) Disconnect receiver & run check switch (to clear matrix again)
5) Connect Dish #2 (119 side of LNB -- although dish is pointed at 61.5) directly to receiver, point/lock it, and run check switch. 61.5 appears in the switch list and everything looks correct.
6) Connect Dish #2 to input port#3 of the DP34, and connect the receiver back to the output of the DP34
7) Run Check Switch (again). 119, 110, and 61.5 show up in the list.
8) Dish Network & Sky Angel are both accessible!

Okay, NOW everything is the same except for Step #7 (and 8, of course). When I connect all 3 inputs, I can only get 119 and 110 (the third input shows as "X" -- Not Connected).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any differences with the DP311 (from the DP301) that would change my procedure? Or does it sound like I've still got a bad DP34 (I suppose I could buy a NEW one on eBay and re-sell it later if that's not the problem).

Thanks in advance!
Kevin T.

I'm almost embarassed... (mystery solved!)

Well, I guess it's good that I discovered my own lunacy.

During my DP311 upgrade, I also installed grounding blocks outside the house (where the cables enter). For the 61.5 dish, I somehow ended up with a 4-foot piece of non-RG6 cable running from the grounding block into the DP34. I guess there was enough of a signal when bypassing the DP34 (directly to the receiver) to point/lock on the bird, but not when the DP34 processed the incoming signal.

I replaced this with some RG6, and voila' -- it works!!

Lesson learned -- ALWAYS INSPECT YOUR CABLES CAREFULLY!!! :)

Thanks anyway!

ktalley said:
Well, I guess it's good that I discovered my own lunacy.

During my DP311 upgrade, I also installed grounding blocks outside the house (where the cables enter). For the 61.5 dish, I somehow ended up with a 4-foot piece of non-RG6 cable running from the grounding block into the DP34. I guess there was enough of a signal when bypassing the DP34 (directly to the receiver) to point/lock on the bird, but not when the DP34 processed the incoming signal.

I replaced this with some RG6, and voila' -- it works!!

Lesson learned -- ALWAYS INSPECT YOUR CABLES CAREFULLY!!! :)

Thanks anyway!
it's quite rare when someone is observant enough to solve their own problems...Usually frustration gets the best of them and they give up...Good job!...You got the thing fixed and all is right with the world..
always chaeck your cables and connections...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts