119 screwed up

Yes, I'm having the same problem. Watching Fox News this morning with many breakups. SS on TP6 on 119 varying between 82 and 60.:( It seems to have stabilized for now though.

I began noticing this problem last night... still was happenning early morning not it seems to have stabalized.

Hope the bird is healthy.

This problem was present the past two nights. Looks like it was worse last night as it seems to have started earlier and ended later.

As of now, it is only the LHCP (even) transponders at 119W that are affected. Sounds like a battery and/or power problem, but what do I know, I don't build satellites. ;)

I was surprised to find that there isn't a backup for Echostar 7 at 119W, yet there is a backup at 110W (at least until it gets relocated). Seems incredibly careless to not have a backup for your primary orbital location. DIRECTV has three satellites for 101W (4S, 8, and 9S). Maybe the folks at Dish will get desperate and ask to borrow one of those.

I have noticed it for the past couple of nights. It's driving my wife crazy as she can't watch her HGTV. It was ok for most of the day I noticed some problems early this morning.

I hope they get it corrected soon.

Looks like this still isn't resolved. Among many other errors, I've logged 15 retunes in the past 30 minutes or so on transponder 10 (119W). Signal appears stable, upper 80s to low 90s. The losses are all momentary, but every so often they get piled on top of one another and make a real mess.

For comparison, transponder 11 has had no issues for the past hour.

Nice clear sky. :)

Any comments from the ones with lots of experience in the business. Scott, HDRoberts, JohnH, Digiblur? (sorry cabt name everyone I know Im missing others).

Should we be worried? Is this normal? Solar flares???

Just curious. Its still happening.

I'm only a nerd, not a satellite expert.:) No idea what's going on. If there were a major failure, Dish would have to issue an FCC filing, much like they did a few months ago with the E2 failure. So that is a good sign.

My guess would be a battery issue as it seems to be worst at night passing into earth's shadow (at least from what I've read. As an HD Absolute sub I hardly watch anything on 110, but I did have trouble with my EPG, which downloads from 119 at night). Might have to play with the configuration to get it restored. There are many cells, and they probably just have to isolate which is going bad. At least I hope.

As for the backup issue, now dish has essentially no backup for anything. E10 and E11 are at 110, but one is all spotbeams and the other is all CONUS. one fails, and the other can't help out. Direct is only marginally better. The satellites they have, if memory serves, that end with an "s" are spotbeam birds. DirecTV 5 could probably be moved from 110 in the event of a problem, but they don't have that much more ability to recover. But they would be screwed with a failure on any of their 4 big HD birds.

Echostar 14 is supposed to got to 119. It is launching as early as late next year. Hopefully E7 can hold out.

Yes i have been having the same problem glad to hear i'm not the only one. I was trying to watch a movie on encore last night and nick at night the night before last and it kept acting like a storm coming up but wasn't a storm. Ive noticed it late at night though cause during the day yesterday it was fine.

I just got off the phone with dish network concerning this problem.
I was told that the problem is being worked on for 3 days now...there is a problem with the 119 sat.
A discription of the problem was "119 satellite drifting occured because of batteries loss of charge".
I was told this my result in launching a new "bird" if needed and that my patience on this matter is needed.
So for 3 nights in a row, I have had to give up on watching a program/programs...and now I have to wait a year? For a new Sat? To be built? Launched? WTF!
No wonder dish network is loosing customers like never before seen!!!
Looks like I'm off to DirectTv.
I no longer have any faith in dish network.
And shame on you dish network for making people have to watch and pay for tv this way!

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with dish network concerning this problem.
I was told that the problem is being worked on for 3 days now...there is a problem with the 119 sat.
A discription of the problem was "119 satellite drifting occured because of batteries loss of charge".
I was told this my result in launching a new "bird" if needed and that my patience on this matter is needed.
So for 3 nights in a row, I have had to give up on watching a program/programs...and now I have to wait a year? For a new Sat? To be built? Launched? WTF!
No wonder dish network is loosing customers like never before seen!!!
Looks like I'm off to DirectTv.
I no longer have any faith in dish network.
And shame on you dish network for making people have to watch and pay for tv this way!

What would you have them say? You wouldn't like the bill if Dish had to keep backups for every sat at every location. Like I said above, DirecTV would be screwed if D10 or D11 were to fail.

A new sat for 119 is under construction. If worse comes to worst, I bet they could accelerate the launch of E14.

Also, as I said above, the fact they haven't issued a filing concerning satellite failure should be a good sign.

Still broken tonight.

If this persists, it may be worthwhile to report this problem to the owners/operators of the channels that are being trashed. They won't be at all pleased to learn what their programming looks like on Dish whenever the sun isn't shining on E7. I would like to think that there's something in all of the carriage agreements that requires channels to retransmitted with a minimum acceptable level of quality. Intermittent failures of varying degrees for about 8 hours every evening couldn't possibly be considered acceptable.

Maybe they can put the spotbeams on the bad circuit/battery or something and get temporary FCC approval to offer the east/west feeds to subscribers as a backup while they work on this issue. Unless the spotbeams are being affected too of course. There must be something they can do rather than keeping this bunch of transponders in this state.

Still broken and very annoying here on the west coast during prime time.
Techs say known problem with a sat. Working on it. Asking for patience.
I'm asking for Echostar to get its stuff together as a company.
The new call center interface does a great job a extending the time it takes to get a real human from any country to talk with you. Legal problems, technical problems, business problems, it's all becoming too problematic for me to keep paying too much for so little in service. The DVR is nice but there are limits.

it just got REAL bad for me as I leave fox on all day and i can hear it when it cuts out but finally i got up to see it at 1 am and it was like bad bad rain fade but the signal was fine

Then i checked channel 114 as it's on 119 also and it's doing the same

I thought my LNB was dumping on me but the drift this time is on their end or whatever it is

You guys rock as I always can find out what's up here and save a call

I can at least now just hope it's fixed on their end but not worry about MY end

thanks
Tiger

I am glad I am not the only one losing their mind, I was watching amc(China Syndrome) and the pixelation was getting so bad I e-mailed dish and asked what the heck is up, of course no response yet. Thank you satellite guys for saving my sanity.

I was trying to record deep space nine on spike tonight and it got so bad that the recording bombed out 3 times due to signal failure. The pixalation was so bad I couldnt watch at all. Yet another dish #$#% up.

I was getting the same thing while watching the Red Wings and by the way as pointed in another thread I installed a new smart card on Saturday.
I did not call Dish because I thought that it mite be the weather but I will call in tonight if the same thing happens again and I will point out about the smart card install.