12 footer found!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good find! Nice condition for the age. I wouldn't worry about modifying the design. It looks well built for areas out of the path of a hurricane. Clean it up and enjoy C-band. Agree, the buttonhook design will sure simplify FD setting!

Mesh overlap will not be an issue at 3.7-4.2Ghz and was very common in many dish models during the early 80's. Take a few pairs of gloves. The mesh edges will eat gloves like bonbons! Hope you are up to date on your tetanus shot! :eeek

The design of the dish is a series of semi flat panels and not forming a true parabola. The design will be less efficient than a formed / shaped surface, exhibit a higher noise level with slightly increased sidelobes. I am sure that C-band performance will be fine, but KU will likely not be very good. The dish was probably distributed long before KU reception was common.

I was out looking at the dish panels yesterday and discovered something that I hadn't noticed before. The cross braces between the ribs are curved.Since the mesh pop-rivets to the braces as well as the ribs...it bows the mesh into a more parabolic shape.So the panels are not flat after all. :)

The old mesh needs a good deal of tightening up before it gets mounted. I might re-mesh it with some KU capable mesh instead...if I can find something cost effective.

If not the whole dish, then as much of the center as possible....keeping the original (Large hole) mesh on the outside.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
The 12 footer will probably have to wait until next spring/summer. Getting too cold to get around to it this year. I'm not feeling a rush to mount it since the 10 ft mesh is performing so well.

The second 10 footer (Perf) will probably go up within the next week or so. :) Pole is installed and 720 lbs of concrete has been curing since Tuesday. I may start assembling the dish and doing any repairs tomorrow if I feel up to it. We are expecting rain on Tuesday and Wednesday so that will delay the work. Dish will begin it's new life as a stationary for 55W. A positioner and cable can be added later if the wife can't live with only 1 Sat in the bedroom.

I'll post some photos after I get it up.

10 foot Unimesh Perf is up.(Mostly) I still have to center the scaler, install a titanium lnbf, run coax, and re-attach the nosecone; All stuff that I can do at my leisure without helpers around. I may paint the dish next spring...or just leave it as is. (I did blow a little paint on the worst shiny spots) Too cold to do any more today and rain coming tomorrow. Here's some Pics:
Front.JPG Back.JPG
Before and after of worst hole in perf panel. This is temporary... plan to do a better stitch job when it's warm.( That darn aluminum was cold today) :
Before Repair.JPG After_Repair.JPG

Finally, a pic of my "Twins" as I'm calling them. Unimesh perf on the left, Channel Master mesh on the right :
Twins.JPG

How many more before I can call it a Dish Farm? :biggrin

EDIT: I installed actuator on the east side. This dish will be able to drop farther east than the other dish. I want it to bottom out at 40w.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts