12 more HD channels by the end of March?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The question is are the number of E* HD subs growing faster then the D* subs? Also just looking around here there are a number of D* subs that have said they have or are converting to E* for the HD content or are fed up with the HR20.

That may be YOUR question, but its not MINE. This is now and has always been a moving target. For the last year or so, E* has had the larger HD offering so I would expect them to draw subs interested in having those channels. DISH added just over a million net subs (all types) last year, D* netted at over 800K.

But that was then, this is now. It is obvious to me that E* is more concerned presently than D* - or else why would they be giving away free HD-DVRs to attract and 'lock-in' subs RIGHT NOW (just months before D* should be able to blow them away?). And that is not a knock on DISH - rather I think its a great marketing ploy to get HD subs while they can. Please note that LAST YEAR they DID NOT give away free HD-DVRs.

I truly believe that the tide will swiftly turn to D* by end of summer, and continue in that direction for a while - until E* comes back at them, and so on and so on.

...I truly believe that the tide will swiftly turn to D* by end of summer, and continue in that direction for a while - until E* comes back at them, and so on and so on.
And that, my friends, is how the Capitalist system of competition in the marketplace works. Anything available to D* will also be available to E* in the long run. We've seen that E* is still adding to their satellite fleet, and making better use of the transponders they currently have. "More HD for all."

And that, my friends, is how the Capitalist system of competition in the marketplace works. Anything available to D* will also be available to E* in the long run. We've seen that E* is still adding to their satellite fleet, and making better use of the transponders they currently have. "More HD for all."

If it really worked, and E* has capacity now, why aren't the HD RSN channels available now? D* has them, cable has them, E* is supposed to have them uplinked but you can't get them. $'s is the answer, will Charlie be willing to spend them to add the additional HD channels?

If it really worked, and E* has capacity now, why aren't the HD RSN channels available now? D* has them, cable has them, E* is supposed to have them uplinked but you can't get them. $'s is the answer, will Charlie be willing to spend them to add the additional HD channels?
If that's what it takes to keep his market share growing, yes he will. Obviously, Charlie has conceded the rabid sports fan market to D*, because he refuses to be bent over by the leagues and teams like the Yankees. The broader HD market is still in E*'s hands.

If that's what it takes to keep his market share growing, yes he will. Obviously, Charlie has conceded the rabid sports fan market to D*, because he refuses to be bent over by the leagues and teams like the Yankees. The broader HD market is still in E*'s hands.

Can't really agree with that one. Does broader mean offering more channels, or channels more people watch? I mean there is absolutely no doubt that since D* offers HD locals in way more markets than E*, D* actually has a better offering. More people watch the networks than any other channels.

I would bet that more people watch and pay for NFL ST-SF and sports than watch the always very lowly rated VOOM offerings.

And BTW - it is really a pretty foolish move by E* of NOT having the YES network - NY is the largest DMA, and in this neck of the woods E* is a very distant 2nd.

agreed - competition makes them all better over time.

Fear not, faithful subscribers. The FCC has mandated that all over the air broadcasts must be made in HD by January 1st, 2008 in an effort for everybody to use less bandwidth. I've noticed that a lot of the programs and commercials that you see on standard 4:3 ratio screens are indeed in widescreen (16:9) format. The industry is moving quickly, at least as quickly as they can get the HD equipment installed. It's simple supply and demand. OTA broadcasters will need HD programming and commercials. SD programming and commercials will become less available, forcing other broadcasters to go to HD formats to support the products they receive to broadcast. Competition also dictates that they will need to broadcast in HD or cease to exist. The average person spends upwards of $75 per month for digital cable or Satellite. If the consumer can get better programming for free, why would they spend the money? I'm sure that by this time next year the broadcast industry will look far different than it does today. Be patient my children. Our time will come!!! ;-)

You really should not be on a computer while you are on crack.

I just noticed that the list she gave me was 16 channels... it seemed a bit long at the time lol.

Anyhow, I was relaying what I was told, sorry if some of you still think the sky is falling.

As far as those pumping their chests about E*, no thanks. Considering that company still has people running on Dish 300 dishes and simply tells them that the locals they want are not available because of their dish, and not saying, sure thing we can have a tech put up your new dish so you can get the locals, they will stay #2. Not knocking it, but that it is the truth, people want a service they can get customer service on.

You guys are crazy. Keep in mind the original poster and his past posts.
Good god, my grandma could go into the E* forum and state that her uncles brothers mailman (an E* csr) told her that E* was launching six sats and putting up 486 new HD channels by tomorrow at noon and you guys would actually argue and discuss it.

What about the original poster and their past posts... Go ahead and prove your point, link the posts. Don't just make B.S. statements son, you don't know your ahole from your elbows.

I know what I was told, and it was news to me and apparently many of you too. If it was not accurate that is yet to be seen, but I know what I was told. The girl seemed to know her sh*t when it came to everything else we spoke about.

BTW, she told me they will not be in the 70-80 HD pack area, they will however be like the local station and be located with the matching channel in the regular line-up (I.E. my locals are channel 3 in HD, then Channel 3 in digital.) Cnn HD would thusly be 202, and one channel up would also be 202, but CNN standard.

The problem is thatt they would need to pull rabbits out os SOMEONE ELSE"S hat. That is unlikely. Sorry but my BS alarm is sounding on this one. first the ridiculous calim of chnnles that don't exist being added and then the defense that D* can perform magic and mysterious reference to the last 48 hours.

As for channels appearing that don't currently exist,
I can believe that, seeing there are alot of channels that want to go HD, but are waiting for someone that is available to show them, what good is being available in HD if you not on any provider to show it.

If you look at the list that has been going around about D* channels in the fall, there are a lot of them just waiting.

Q. DISH went out and did some type of changes receintly to allow them to get more HD channels on fewer transponders so they could get more HD up and DISH users were saying that the picture actually looked much better after the move.

Why can't D* do this type of thing ??? Or can they ???

Jimbo

That is reason enough for a sports junkie like me to stay a D* customer.

I just noticed that tonight, when you highlight "77 NGHC" they changed the description to read, "NGHD Sneak Peek HDTV Channels". Sound like it may not be on for long.

hah ;0 This thread makes me laugh ;0 As scott said with his "bingo" comment... If they cant even add ONE more HD channel 24/7 does not not show you how sad of a situation DirecTV is in bandwidth wise? I mean really guys. Let's use some common sense here ;0 With the failed launch, DirecTV is running scared. They have little no no resources and are backed into a corner... They know they need to do something and all they could muster up is a 1280x768 channel part of the day? ;0 Yeah. a sign of "GREAT THINGS" to come with DSS ;0 *NOT* ;0 Even the choice of the signal type (Ka) should show you how backed into a corner they are ;0 This is a less than desirable solution for conus signals. IT is perfect for locals but to have to push the exact same channel 20,30,40 times the magic number of 150 that they throw around? This should show that they didnt plan things out well ... they were snoozing while charlie bought up every slot in sight ;0

-B

Directv was snoozing? Not quite. They did not have a failed launch. The first of the 2 new sats goes up in June. That is not from sea launch either. It will allow them to add 75 national HD channels, if 75 exist at the time. Other than Rainbows old sat, what did cheapo Charlie buy? He won't spend any money. Directv will have a full time YES HD in April, Dish still does not have YES at all. The channel no one talks about is MASN. Will Dish ever add that one? I guess Dish does not care about baseball fans in Washington or Baltimore either. When all is said and done, Directv will be the HD leader, for now. Then expect Charlie to spend some real money to upgrade and this will go back and forth. I love the fact that they try to out do each other, it only benefits us, the consumer.

As far as adding HD Ch's that are available to everyone....Directv has been a big disappointment. I don't believe any of it until the ch's are actually available.
Bingo! DirecTV has been pulling this "we're gonna have more HD than anyone else Real Soon Now" for the past two years. D*, please give me a call when you actually *do* have more HD. :rolleyes:

When all is said and done, Directv will be the HD leader, for now.
"I have less HD than you, and I have to turn off other HD channels to show HD NFL games, but I am the HD Leader!". Whatever.

Last edited:
Bingo! DirecTV has been pulling this "we're gonna have more HD than anyone else Real Soon Now" for the past two years. D*, please give me a call when you actually *do* have more HD. :rolleyes:

"I have less HD than you, and I have to turn off other HD channels to show HD NFL games, but I am the HD Leader!". Whatever.

Actually why the very childish post?

For your first part, what DirecTV has done in the past 2 years in no way mirrors what you say. What they have DONE is announce in Sept of 2005 their plan to launch SW1/2 and D10/11 and what the expected timeframe would be and how it would roll out. Frankly, they re awfully CLOSE to the schedule from 2 years ago.

Yes, they have changed their ad tactic in the past 2 months, and it is more agressive, but look what E* has done since they are now so fearful of the huge capacity that D* will have soon - they are giving away free HD-DVRs now - how come they didn't give them away last year? And in this country, NOBODY gives something for free without reason.

For your second part, yes E* has more HD channels, but execept for a very niche audience, VOOM goes unnoticed. So much so, that is carried by NO one else - including CABLEVISION, the company that owns VOOM. Now, that's interesting, isn't it? Not a SINGLE VOOM channel on Cablevision - if they were wo popular or important, for sure they would have some of them on their own system, wouldn't they?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)