12' satellite Perforated Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hello everybody, I found this 12' satellite Perforated Dish at the end of my street hidden in some Pine trees. I don't know who the maker of it is, anybody know? I’ve enclosed some images of it. I talk to the guy and inquired if he would like to get rid of it. He told me he still had all the receivers and manuals for it. He's asking $200.00 for it and the equipment. He tells me it still works?!? I’m not sure about the feedhorn or the actuator. I wonder if they really work like he says. The actuator is rusted badly. I also notice from looking at it that it was well built and very sturdy looking. From looking at it can anybody see if it is an H & H motor mount? I tried to capture every angle of the dish in the photo's I took. Also what I found interesting and may be a clue as to who made it. Underneath the dish as part of the framework are angle iron welded together. Two triangles and put together like the Star of David. Does this at all seem to be familiar to anybody here? I thought it may be some sort of a silent signature from the maker?? I think I can make it look and perform new again.

He also told me that when I come back that the dish needs to be completely dismantled. I was thinking of just lowering it and setting it in the back of a trailer and bring it home, about 2 blocks from me. Wouldn't dismantling it cause it to warp? He told me no as long as we gave it the string test. Then I remembered that being said before in one of the threads on this site. Still I’m concerned about breaking it into several sections. Your thoughts please anybody?

Gabshere says: “I suspect there are a lot more dishes here in Arkansas but I don't think I would pay for one unless it was in good shape or a birdview. So unless they are real hard to find I would keep searching. The dish listed above in post 253 is in poor shape EDIT: poor = all bolts are rusted and actuator in poor shape ... and although the owner said it still works i doubt it (although not good to tell the owner). the feed horn does look bad ( but its just angled differently) and the lnb/lna looks older so I would suspect older equipment ( receiver) the buttonhook design sometimes sags and a few have a unique way the feedhorn is attached to the dish limiting your options on upgrading the scaler / feedhorn.”

Voomvoom says: “I don't know the maker, but it looks like a Perforated dish, kind of like some Birdview's and I think Perfect 10 made some, others also made some? Perforated dishes are some of the best reflectors out there...! Not sure if I would give $200 for the dish, cause there is obviously a lot it's lacking (no actuator in perticular), but the reflector looks great to me, and if it is Perforated, it is probably worth it, especially if you can afford it. The receivers he has, if any, could also be a determining factor on the price?”

From looking at the photo's please advise me if:

I should get it?
If I should dismantle it? For a trip of two short blocks.
Or should I leave it intact?
The maker of this dish, if anybody knows?
Is it an H&H Motor Mount?
How much should I offer the guy?

I'm very anxious to get this dish :hungry: and second guessing myself too on the worthiness. :yikes

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• 12ft01.JPG
    12ft01.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 354
  • 12ft10.JPG
    12ft10.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 262
  • 12ft09.JPG
    12ft09.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 239
  • 12ft08.JPG
    12ft08.JPG
    899.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 12ft07.JPG
    12ft07.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
  • 12ft06.JPG
    12ft06.JPG
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 12ft05.JPG
    12ft05.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 336
  • 12ft004.JPG
    12ft004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 259
  • 12ft03a.JPG
    12ft03a.JPG
    707.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 12ft02.JPG
    12ft02.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 275
  • 12ft13.JPG
    12ft13.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 271
  • 12ft12.JPG
    12ft12.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 252
  • 12ft11.JPG
    12ft11.JPG
    701.5 KB · Views: 228
I would take it.
Definitely do not disassemble.

Ask him how much for just dish, you probably don't need the equipment. If it is close, good condition, and a big dish paying a couple bucks isn't the worst scenario

(Just my opinion) Quite honestly - the guy should pay you to take it away...

I stopped in to see a guy one time, because I noticed that his dish was pointing down towards the ground - the actuator arm gears had failed obviously. I had seen it in that condition for about a year before I stopped by. I knew that he hadn't been using it because there are no satellites planted in the ground in the neighbor's field to tune in. He kept saying "Oh, it works fine..." and he wanted a rediculous amount of money for it. I think that the guy realized that I'd offer him a bit of money for it, but he decided to try feel me out for how much I'd be willing to pay.

I think that the guy you are dealing with doesn't realize the current value of those old dishes. He may have paid thousands upon thousands of dollars for that dish when it first came out, but I wouldn't give him more than $40 for it in its current shape. All of those leaves and garbage that it has been collecting wouldn't be good for it either..

I can understand you being anxious to get a 12ft dish. I just think that by the time you replace all of the electronics, actuator arm, etc you'll end up being disappointed with that rusted out dish. I think you'd get more satisfaction out of getting a dish for free, or next to nothing instead of getting that old rusted out 12 footer and then putting a few hundred dollars into making it work.

The dish that you see in my avatar, I got for FREE.. I would keep up the hunt and find somebody who wants to possibly even pay you to take the dish away :) The local satellite dealer in my area charges people $150 to take away their old dishes.

I agree with Davage!

The actuator obviously doesn't work because there is no motor on the end.

The whole mount is rusted very badly, and would have to be re-furbished.

The reflector looks to be in good shape, but as stated, the leaves accumulated hold moisture, and cause undo strain even warping the dish over time.

I would hunt elsewhere and let the owner sit on it a while. I would try and find a well known dish that has been tested and proven by the guys on this forum. There were so many manufacturers making dishes during the 80s and 90s that some of the lesser known companies sold some really low quality dishes.

Just my opinion.

I don't think you should let your enthusiasm outweigh reality. If you're looking for a working dish in good condition, this ain't it. You're going to have to put a lot of money and sweat into this dish to get it operational (lnb, actuator, cable, servo, penetrating oil, nuts and bolts) and the mesh is probably warped under those pine needles. If I saw this dish, I'd ask the owner how much he'd pay me to take it off his property. Then I'd take it apart and put it on my scrap metal pile for spare parts (and I really like assembled dishes). There's bound to be a better dish out there. Try checking with your local small dish dealers. They sometimes know where those big, unused dishes are located. Good Luck.

Yes, I'm very anxious to get a 12ft dish at the same time very cautious about picking up a piece of garbage. It would be like putting Whip Cream on an Onion! Don’t need that! That’s why I asked all of you here to get your views because this was the feeling deep inside of me. So I will go back on the Hunt, and that’s a terrific idea Hermitman about checking with my local small dish dealers for those big, unused dishes and where they are located.
Thanks,
Tom

If I saw this dish, I'd ask the owner how much he'd pay me to take it off his property. Then I'd take it apart and put it on my scrap metal pile for spare parts (and I really like assembled dishes).

I agree completely. Normally I would say that it is blasphemy to even consider sending a BUD to the metal recyclers, but in the case of that old rusted out dish, I'd take it to the scrap yard..

i noticed that the motor on the arm was missing? damn. it looks bad. but hey ive seen much worse and ive gotten them with missing panels. but id grab it up if he'll give it to you but i wouldnt give more than 10-15 dollars for it. he's outta his mind if he thinks its worth more. i hate when people do that to you. ask how much are you willing to pay. i look at them and say not a thing your not using it are you? so why make me pay when your not using it your self lol:hungry: good look tom i hope you get it for free !!! i hate to see them go to trash like that

I will go back on the hunt

i noticed that the motor on the arm was missing? damn. it looks bad. but hey ive seen much worse and ive gotten them with missing panels. but id grab it up if he'll give it to you but i wouldnt give more than 10-15 dollars for it. he's outta his mind if he thinks its worth more. i hate when people do that to you. ask how much are you willing to pay. i look at them and say not a thing your not using it are you? so why make me pay when your not using it your self lol:hungry: good look tom i hope you get it for free !!! i hate to see them go to trash like that
Yes the thought of paying $200.00 for it and then wondering if its warped or not fixable had me second guessing myself. Or for another term having this gut feeling that getting it would be a losing cause. Even though at one time that dish was a damm good one. Problem being where its at is a house that this guy rents out and the renters don't give a damm about using it as a trash collector!

There's one other one that I havew found that I believe is also a 12' footer. Much like the one that is on your avatar. I went to the guy two times and each time he says I'm still thinking about it. The last time he says he will give me a call. Like don't come back, I'll call you is the feeling I got from him. Too bad, it's a nice one too.

So I will go back on the hunt and will also be asking the small dish dealers for leads. :eureka:up

Thanks everyone,
Tom

Judging by the photos, that was a lousy place to put a dish in the first place. Even 20+ years ago, I bet the trees were a problem. I too would pass on this one.

Update on 12' Dish

Hello everyone,
I was told to give the guy a couple of weeks and not say anything to him. I didn't. Got a calllast night from the guy who had the satellite shop and went out of business. He told me that I could use his "Dish Crane" this weekend.I'm going to be taking some pictures of that and see if I can make me one too. It's an amazing one man satellite lifting tool!

Anyway I was thinking if I put up my Unimesh dish this weekend it would be nice to use the dish crane at the same time because I may not be able to use it again. So I went to the owner of the 12 footer to see about the dish and talk down the price. He wasn't home. So I left a message for him to call me. I want to talk to him and bring up the fact that the dish hasn’t any motor on it and will need an new actuator. Also want him to look at the funky feedhorn. I do not know if its suppose to look that way or not? It looks broken. Anyway there is no cover for it! Was told that the feedhorn may be a Chaparral Feedhorn. Anyway I went back and took some more pictures of the dish. Hope you guys get a better look at it from the first ones I sent.

Thanks, :D
Tom

Attachments

• 12ft_20.jpg
    12ft_20.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 12ft_21.jpg
    12ft_21.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 12ft12.jpg
    12ft12.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 12ft13.jpg
    12ft13.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 12ft_14.jpg
    12ft_14.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 12ft_15.jpg
    12ft_15.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 12ft_16.jpg
    12ft_16.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 12ft_17.jpg
    12ft_17.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 12ft_18.jpg
    12ft_18.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 132
  • 12ft_19.jpg
    12ft_19.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 12_01actuator.jpg
    12_01actuator.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 12_feedhorn2.jpg
    12_feedhorn2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 12_feedhorn3.jpg
    12_feedhorn3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 12_feedhorn4.jpg
    12_feedhorn4.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 138
Tom, I'm not sure, but that "Blue Device" at the feedhorn looks like a "Low Noise Block Downconverter"? If it is, the LNB is probably an LNA (Low Noise Amplifier)? Either way the Feedhorn will still work with a C-Band LNB.

Al

That one might clean up and be ok, but it sure looks rough. I think I'd want to keep looking for one that's not quite so rusty, there has to be better dishes around.

Feedhorn and center of the dish

Tom, I'm not sure, but that "Blue Device" at the feedhorn looks like a "Low Noise Block Downconverter"? If it is, the LNB is probably an LNA (Low Noise Amplifier)? Either way the Feedhorn will still work with a C-Band LNB.

Al
Hi Al, so you think its a Low Noise Block Downconverter? I had a friend of mine come and take a look at it today. Since the dish is just down the street.He thinks that the feedhorn may be a Chaparral? I took another look at it when I went back and took those pictures of it. I don'tknow what to make of it. I know that I'm real new at this but the front part aiming down seems to be wrong? Or it may be missing a few screws holding it on the bar?? Also now that the pine needles have been cleared from the dish somewhat I can see the whole dish. In the center is a hole. Shouldn't there be some kind of plate with a tube coming out to connect to the feedhorn?:confused:

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• 12ft_16.jpg
    12ft_16.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 137
That one might clean up and be ok, but it sure looks rough. I think I'd want to keep looking for one that's not quite so rusty, there has to be better dishes around.
Hi turbosat, I know what you mean.I have been going back and forth over this dish. I had an ad out. I put a ad in Craigs list.I haven't heard or seen any dish from the ads. I looked at it and think I could clean it up good. I also know thats there no way I willgive him 200$ for it. I would have to get a new actuator for it and the feedhorn is questionable too. I don't know what to make of the feedhorn. Had no feedhorn cover. And the center of the dish that is open....is that normal? Ilooked at the mesh and it looks good, just dirty from all the crud that ha been in it. Under the dish it has some rusty metal that you can see in the photo's but looking at it I can see that its just surface rust. It looks well build, in fact a friend of mine looked at it too (2nd opinion) said it looked like it was built like a tank. It has massive supports holding together the dish. Its funny when it first was put up it must of had very little tree or they were small. Now in front of the dish is one large pine tree after another. Like a forest!
I have to make a decision on this has this weekend I get the use of a "Dish Crane" and would like to do both dish the same day. :hungry: I may not be able to use the dish crane again. Anyway I do plan on taking several pictures of this amazing tool and sharing with all of you.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it! :hatsoff:
Tom

tom it looks to be a dual c-band feedhorn, did you try and move the arm with a flat blade ? see if it would try and turn? it doesnt look that bad, i've had one worse than that just clean it up real good with a wire brush and point it. and u should be good to go.if the arm doesnt work. let me know i have quite a few of them laying around thanks .

The mount on that thing looks like something from a WWII Sherman tank! LOL
That is one heavy duty dish! I bet it takes three people to lift the mount alone

I wouldn't pay a dime for it nor any other bud for that matter. Too many people out there wanting to get rid of them. That thing is a wreck.

I wouldn't pay a dime for it nor any other bud for that matter. Too many people out there wanting to get rid of them. That thing is a wreck.

I agree!!! :D
A lady near me wanted someone to remove the 10 Foot Odum mesh dish from her back yard. The dish has a slight dent on the edge but the rest of the dish seems intact, with very little rust on the mount.
If you get the word out that you're wanting a satellite dish, you never know what you would wound up with! And for free!!! :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts