120cm dish with C-Band performance - Now with HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Stargazer said:
How about using those dual reflector dishes? I saw some pictures of those posted before where there are multiple lnbf's on it. I know someone down the road that had one of these installed earlier this year. Wouldn't the second reflector help the signal and/or allow for a smaller dish and also allow more orbital slots to be picked up without dish rotation? I see where this worked good on the digital FTA but what about the C-Band FTA?

I have read these are for Ku and you have to buy " reverse " LNBF's . Not sure what that means , but they are more $$$ .

No idea what could or could not be done for C band .

Wyr

Still Having Problems. :(

I still can't get this thing to work. I've tried everything, mounting the LNBF with the two side support arms of the primestar 1m dish, and also mounting it with only the center pole. I still am not able to get anything to register in terms of quality.

Just to verify this primestar 1m dish and a C-Band LNBF *CAN* be used for C-Band DVB signals right?

And will the Twinhan Vision-whatever software lock onto a C-Band signal? It seems to think that it will because on every satellite the default transponder lists have 4 digit frequencies preset in.

And in terms of the elevation of the dish, I was told that it will be "way off" from what any satellite chart would say, but does that mean I need to raise the dish up more so it looks more like slanted bird bath? or do I need to drop it down more so it looks more like it's looking at the ground?

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

I have since stripped down my 40" P* so can't remember if the elevation had to be higher or lower. Think it was slightly higher in my case. But it depends how high or low from the focal point you put the C-Band LNBF.

I would aim for the ASN channel on Anik F1r @ 107w, that was my strongest channel on my 40" P* dish!
I was also using a BLIND SCAN receiver. DVB cards show slightly lower signal quality, and have no blind scan.

http://www.lyngsat.com/anikf1r.html

NOW OVER 28,000 VIEWS OF THIS THREAD!

other than Anik F1, which satellites have people picked up with the 40" C-band setup?

Can you get AMC4 on it?

I used to play with a 40x30 P* dish on c-band and the only sats I could get DVB on were Anik F1 and G11. I could get quite a bit on the analog receiver though, but most of it was pretty snowy. I did find that the VC board in my analog receiver was still subbed to a couple channels on G11 though. An analog receiver is a great tool to use in peaking a microbud. If it's possible, I'd recommend taking an analog receiver and a tv out to the dish when making adjustments.

Yep, Anik F1 and G-11 were real strong. I was picking up a lot of analog. Also getting channels from AMC-12. And of course the signals on AMC-7 'were strong.

I got analog stuff on pretty much all the sats between AMC3 and Anik F1 analog. I also got some stuff from the more western sats, but my microbud was set up in a temporary spot that didn't have a real good look at sats much past Anik. In hindsight, if I'd had a better FTA receiver I probably would have got more DVB signals. I didn't realize how poor my old Fortec receiver was until I picked up a Coolsat this week. Not only did the Fortec have a lot of problems, but it was also like going from a 286 to a Pentium 4.

Just remembered another tuning trick. If you've got a VC board in your analog receiver, you can use any VC channel to fine-tune your dish. Even though you may not be subbed, you'll still get the not authorized message if you're getting enough signal. On my Toshiba receiver, I can then click setup on the remote and check my signal strength on one of the menu picks. I forget what the menu says, but I'm pretty sure its option 1 and then option 1 again (I've done this a lot). Towards the bottom of the page there's a signal strength reading that will range from 10 to 100 in steps of 10.

also when on a vc2 signal you can get into the vc2 setup and see a signal strenth from 1-10 ;-) i dont have my remote right here, but i think it is the "setup" button that is in the vc2 controls.

I was able to get AMC10 / IA13 analog (snowy but HSN/QVC was watchable :D ) on the 36x26 primestar / ASC421. I never saw anything DVB with the little dish.

I'm amazed how much I've been able to get on C-band with the 5' baby BUD.

Shawn

4:2:2? I am a newbie, what does 4:2:2 mean. Basically I want a 1m or less dish (to make the HOA happy) that will get EWTN on G11. I can get the old primestar dishes fairly cheap, but the 1m dish will cost some cash. If I can take my old C-band feedhorn and bolt it to a primestart 36x26 it would cry. Can I use my Uniden SQ560 c/Ku bank receiver or will I need a fancy MPEG receiver. EWTN is not encoded in any way. Thanks for all your help!

Could some of you guys with succes using a 1 m dish, please post some of your results on the 1m c-band thread? Thanks for all your hard work in developing the miniBUD!

WyrTwister said:
I have read these are for Ku and you have to buy " reverse " LNBF's . Not sure what that means , but they are more $$$ .

No idea what could or could not be done for C band .

Wyr

I have a Toroidal T-90 dish that is still sitting face down on my roof. I was going to install this but was searching for another non-pen roof mount for it and then Katrina hit...

With the Toroidals, you only need reversed LNBFs for circular (DBS) signals. Ordinary linear Ku LNBFs will work.

For C-Band minibud use, however, I don't think a Toroidal will work. There isn't enough room for the larger C-band LNBs underneath the primary reflector (the LNB would block the reflector)...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts